Opponents with headphones

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
People

I doesn't bother me if someone wears head phones while playing pool.
Why would it, they are doing nothing to me .

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's annoying and disrespectful. If someone is wearing buds or phones and doesn't hear me tell them that they are on two fouls, too bad on them. If they at least try to pay attention, I'll try a bit louder to inform them of a problem.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

My guess is he doesn't like being sharked which is why he wears the headphones.

What sort of questions "came up"?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a guy in our league that would put on bluetooth headphones when playing matches.

I was always tempted to call him when he was in the middle of his back-swing.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is he doesn't like being sharked which is why he wears the headphones.

What sort of questions "came up"?

"What ball are you shooting?"

"You are on two fouls."

"You are racking the balls out of order."

Just a few things I could think of.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• earl in head gear.jpg
    earl in head gear.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"You are on two fouls."

Yes, this^^^

Oh, and pushing out after the break.. that came up twice... "What?"

"Say what again.. they speak English in what?" - Jules

Alex Kanapilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear them occasionally and usually think to ask the opponent before hand if they mind. So far, no one has said they do.

It did come back to bite me once in the local Friday tournament. I put them on because the jukebox was super loud and they were playing music that wasn't my cup of tea so I put them on. I was playing a good player and during one game he came up to me and said something and I just nodded, not knowing what he said. Turns out I was on two and scratched. I learned my lesson then and now when someone tries to talk to me while I have my earbuds in, I take one out to hear what they are saying.

In the pool hall that I play at, I would say it's pretty common, maybe close to half of the players wear them at some point.

I think it's up to the wearer to be polite and pay attention so his opponent doesn't to repeat himself but honestly, it's not that big of a deal and something you old timers are just going to have to deal with. Or, as many of you have said, just don't play those of us that wear them. Simple.

I fully understand why they aren't allowed in larger tournaments like the BCA and all that just because of the opportunity to cheat, but in local events and what not, who cares.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
techno shark

Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

It should not bother you as much as it is, there should not be too many questions while competing. I understand what your referring to bout the disconnect - I don't like my opponent texting during competition. Players have a right to block out distractions, if this involves headphones then so be it. It is another problem entirely if you have to remind your opponent to spot a ball and he cannot hear you or that it is their turn while they are texting, this having been said if I play a long set the less my opponent talks to me the better - if them listening to music helps this that's cool with me. The worst thing we can do is look for an excuse to lose. Some people like to rattle more than others - not me.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"You are on two fouls."

It's nine ball. He is shooting the lowest numbered ball. Out of order? What order do you have to rack the balls in 9 ball?

I don't wear headphones but people wear headphones to block out sharking. Things like "what ball are you shooting"?

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t care if they are wearing headphones, talking on their phone, wearing Mickey Mouse ears or playing the kazoo. Pool is hard enough for me without worrying about all that crap.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
An old sparring partner and I had a rule:

- if your phone rings it's a foul
- if you answer it, it's a game

pj
chgo

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play anyone who wears headphones during a match, unless I have gotten to know them fairly well.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Jimmy C-Note

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
one guy I had on 2 fouls told him ur 0n 2 ,says he didn't hear me?

He may not have, but I think we would agree that the fault falls on him.
Some of the responses in this thread clearly state that this is one reason many guys do not want to play someone with headphones on.
Add me to that list.