Opponents with headphones

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

Judges?

I do not like playing people wearing headphones for reasons you mentioned and several others. They are trying to block out distractions and feel like it turns into a crutch when they play in events where they cannot wear them.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member

Judges?

I like to listen to a MP3 player when I play sometimes, not to be offensive just most of the time I don't care enter into the BS some people like to do before or during the game.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen some tournaments around here ban headphones while players are at the table. I haven't seen it addressed on the local league level yet. I was playing a guy in a tournament a couple of years ago who had his headphones on. After having to get his attention a couple of times I started pretending to speak by just moving my lips. He got the message and took them off. Pretty rude all together I think.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok if practicing but not matching-up or tournament play. Most tournaments don't allow their use. Don't know which is worse, someone constantly jacking with their phone or these things. Both suck.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would kill for a good set over-ear headphones with some of the crap that's played on the digital jukebox.

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Judges?

I think it's generational more than anything else. My kid ( he's 22 ) wears ear buds practically 24/7, doing *anything*. For myself? In a game? Rude and inconsiderate. Each player is ( imho ) justified in the expectation that, if, communication is necessary ( calling a foul, etc ), one player needn't resort to sending up a flare to get the other player's attention. Seems to me it's simply a matter of common courtesy.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's generational more than anything else. My kid ( he's 22 ) wears ear buds practically 24/7, doing *anything*. For myself? In a game? Rude and inconsiderate. Each player is ( imho ) justified in the expectation that, if, communication is necessary ( calling a foul, etc ), one player needn't resort to sending up a flare to get the other player's attention. Seems to me it's simply a matter of common courtesy.
Agree 1000000%. There's a couple guys in the ph that wear these and no one will play with them. Rude as hell in my book.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
It annoys me when the wearer doesn't pay attention and at least keep their head up occasionally, enough so that you can get their attention if need be.

I wear some upon occasion, if there is someone particularly annoying within earshot. But I usually only wear one, leaving the other ear open. Just gives me something to distract from the chatter tableside...

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I wear them on occasion in competition. I'm attentive and make sure it's not a problem for my opponent.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Judges?

Sounds like you are easy to shark. :D

I tend to breathe in and out when I play. What if I do it slower or faster? Problem? :rolleyes:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eh, I find it slightly annoying but I'm getting used to it.
I figure they can reach into their wallet after the match and hand out the cash, with or without their headphones on. No matter :)

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I don't particularly like it but it really doesn't make much difference to me.
I do, however make it a point to talk to them during the match

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Judges?
It doesn't really bother me, but I won't go out of my way to make sure they hear what I'm saying. If they miss me calling a foul on myself, or if they miss me warning them they are about to shoot at the wrong ball in 9-ball, too bad. If you're playing call shot / call safety 10-ball, it could certainly be a problem if they are wearing headphones.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wear them. It helps me drown out bad music, annoying people talking non-stop, sharking opponents, etc.

I do try to pay attention, however.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do phones bother ppl? I sit and text, social media whatever while in the chair. I can't control what happens from the chair anyway, might as well be relaxed!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do phones bother ppl? I sit and text, social media whatever while in the chair. I can't control what happens from the chair anyway, might as well be relaxed!
I would say some old school 14.1 players (I guess I would qualify) just feel it's a matter of courtesy / respect when you are sitting in your chair quietly while your opponent controls the table, that you are paying attention and observing your opponent's run, waiting for your next opportunity to get back to the table. If they are doing that with their headphones on, that's no problem, but texting and receiving texts while their opponent is at the table is not the same thing.

Kind of like the opponent that is practicing shooting balls on the adjacent open table while you are at the table - the lack of respect and paying attention to your opponent while they have the table, during a match, just rubs me the wrong way.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Works out for both of us really. I like playing pool, and they like listening to music, so I just usually leave them in their chair listening to music ;)