Original Predator Z shaft

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I borrowed an original Z shaft and was wondering what the difference is between it and the Z2? Also, how much should I expect to pay for a Z in good condition? Thanks in advance.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had both z and z2. As well as 314 and 314 2.

Both of the "2" versions have shorter ferrules of a different material than the 1. Tapers are the same. The 2's have a phenolic plug at the joint end that the joint insert screws into. The 1's were plain wood at the joint end.

I believe also the 2's came standard with a layered tip, while the 1's came standard with a lepro.

All that said, I was able to switch pretty seamlessly amongst all 4 shafts. Not a significant difference in how they pocket the balls. Of course the taper on the z's vs 314's is very different.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
To me it always felt like the original Z had a longer taper, similar to a pro taper, or if you get a Z2 that has been "S tuned". I like both, but I use the Z2.
Are you looking for new or used? What pin size? What collar?

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me it always felt like the original Z had a longer taper, similar to a pro taper, or if you get a Z2 that has been "S tuned". I like both, but I use the Z2.

I borrowed a z shaft for my Joss butt and like it a lot. Just wondered what I should pay and the difference between a z2

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I borrowed a z shaft for my Joss butt and like it a lot. Just wondered what I should pay and the difference between a z2

Do a search on the web, it's there. Get back to me when you find it. I'm in the process of buying two myself.

Try billiards warehoused to get matching rings. I might beat you two them, well see?

I've got two for you, I think, If you want them you can have then at cost! Let me know. They're the 2nd generation, but the same only better.

If you want Z2's their not the same, I can tell you that! Tell me the pin release otherwise I'll sell them at Romine's for cost to friends.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/viking/images/vikore-img.jpg

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do a search on the web, it's there. Get back to me when you find it. I'm in the process of buying two myself.

Try billiards warehoused to get matching rings. I might beat you two them, well see?

I've got two for you, I think, If you want them you can have then at cost! Let me know. They're the 2nd generation, but the same only better.

If you want Z2's their not the same, I can tell you that! Tell me the pin release otherwise I'll sell them at Romine's for cost to friends.

The're not the same! And their brand new at a discount! http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/predator/images/predator_shaftwhite_1.jpg

Choice 314-2 or Z-2 Shaft

Last edited:

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I never heard of s Tuning?

Last edited:

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, no one knows the difference between the z and z2? The website is very vague and the replies to this thread have been informative but mostly just hijacking my question, is there a difference?

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, no one knows the difference between the z and z2? The website is very vague and the replies to this thread have been informative but mostly just hijacking my question, is there a difference?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
See post #7. I'm certain of those:)

You can also look at Predator's site. They had the info a few years ago in the "retired" section. I don't know if its still there or now.

What is your goal anyway? To save money by buying a used Z1 over a used Z2? If it is about money, then just scour eBay and the forums here. Whichever one you find a good deal on, buy that one.

Last edited:

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had both z and z2. As well as 314 and 314 2.

Both of the "2" versions have shorter ferrules of a different material than the 1. Tapers are the same. The 2's have a phenolic plug at the joint end that the joint insert screws into. The 1's were plain wood at the joint end.

I believe also the 2's came standard with a layered tip, while the 1's came standard with a lepro.

All that said, I was able to switch pretty seamlessly amongst all 4 shafts. Not a significant difference in how they pocket the balls. Of course the taper on the z's vs 314's is very different.

In other words, not much difference at all. However, I disagree with your opinion about aiming with the 12.75 vs 11.75. Although it may true for you, it depends a lot on how and where you hit the cueball.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I never heard of s Tuning?
S Tuned - some folks like the Z2, but don't like the conical euro taper. Seyberts will take that shaft and make the conical taper into a pro taper then apply a little "s tuned" decal.
I guess because it comes from Seyberts, they call it 'S Tuned', unless someone named Sam, or Steve, Sol, or Sara, or..... does it.
The used ones I have purchased (never got a new one), I paid from $75 to $160, all 5/16 X 14, all wide black ring or black with silver.

CaptainDidactic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Z2

I have owned both the Z shaft and the Z2. My game saw immediate improvement when I went from a 314 to a Z shaft. Although the Z shot great, my game made another leap when I switched to the Z2. I like the consistency of the Z2 much better than the Z. The Z2 has a conical taper which buffers the whippiness that you can get when you start turning down the shafts. I believe that the tuned Z2 is a Z2 shaft that has been turned down even more to give it more of a pro taper. I don't have any experience with that shaft.

I am mainly a bar box 8 ball league player. I love the smaller diameter for playing on the bar box. I can do lots of fun things with the cue ball. I do find however that I am more consistent playing with a 314 on the 9 footers. The Z2 is great, but you really need to be cognizant of tip placement on the cue ball. Although it deflects less than the 314, it is easy to actually throw the object ball out of the pocket with unintended english.

Just my two cents.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In other words, not much difference at all. However, I disagree with your opinion about aiming with the 12.75 vs 11.75. Although it may true for you, it depends a lot on how and where you hit the cueball.

Yes. Not much difference imo of "actual play" between Z1 and Z2. I have both of them in front of me right now, and can switch seamlessly between them.

As far as physical differences, the Z2 has a shorter ferrule of a harder material, and a phenolic plug where the joint insert screws into. This is all common knowledge if you were a predator fan when they switched from the 1st gen to the 2nd gen shafts. It was in all of predators marketing info, and I'd imagine it's still on their site somewhere.

Predator did claim the 2s had slightly less cb deflection than the 1s.

One benefit of the 2nd gen is the ferrules are less likely to become cone shaped from when the ferrule follows through and rubs the cloth, due to the material change. I did cue repair for a few years and this was fairly common on the 1s, especially if the player broke with it.

Good luck in your search. I'd personally get a 2, mostly because it's newer, and you are probably more likely to find a used one in excellent condition, if you are looking for a used one.