our private little world (sigh)?

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the utube clip of Hitler losing a bet. Saw it before, it's still hilarious. Got to thinking that only those of us who are in this subculture of poolplayers would comprehend the humor or even have the remotest idea of what they were talking about. When I say,"Poolplayer," I don't mean you have to be good. I'm not. But you have to have spent a good part of your life shooting pool or do so now.
This got me to thinking again:eek: that I feel sort of privileged to be a poolplayer. Outsiders do not understand what we do. If you tell a person that you bowl or that you play golf it's considered normal. If you tell a person that you shoot pool they look at you kinda funny.
Thinking further along these lines:eek::eek: I find that I have mixed feelings about promoting the sport and introducing more outsiders into our world. I understand the blessings it would bring to the top players and feel they deserve them. But, at the same time I'm jealous and maybe a little snobby about our comfortable little private world.
Do you AZers think I'm just a little neurotic or absolutely bonkers?:confused:
 
I was watching the utube clip of Hitler losing a bet. Saw it before, it's still hilarious. Got to thinking that only those of us who are in this subculture of poolplayers would comprehend the humor or even have the remotest idea of what they were talking about. When I say,"Poolplayer," I don't mean you have to be good. I'm not. But you have to have spent a good part of your life shooting pool or do so now.
This got me to thinking again:eek: that I feel sort of privileged to be a poolplayer. Outsiders do not understand what we do. If you tell a person that you bowl or that you play golf it's considered normal. If you tell a person that you shoot pool they look at you kinda funny.
Thinking further along these lines:eek::eek: I find that I have mixed feelings about promoting the sport and introducing more outsiders into our world. I understand the blessings it would bring to the top players and feel they deserve them. But, at the same time I'm jealous and maybe a little snobby about our comfortable little private world.
Do you AZers think I'm just a little neurotic or absolutely bonkers?:confused:
I can't say I agree withyour opinion on keeping the pool world secluded, however I do agree with you on the losing bet video.
I had a female friend over the other night and I was watching the TAR stream from Florida. The hitler losing bet video was mentioned and I got someone to post it for me. I had seen it a while ago and remembered how funny I found it and so I chose to share it with my friend. I was laughing out loud and she just had a blank expression. I tried to explain about V Cash, Corey racks special etc. Didn't make a difference.
 
Misspent youth?

:welcome:
I was watching the utube clip of Hitler losing a bet. Saw it before, it's still hilarious. Got to thinking that only those of us who are in this subculture of poolplayers would comprehend the humor or even have the remotest idea of what they were talking about. When I say,"Poolplayer," I don't mean you have to be good. I'm not. But you have to have spent a good part of your life shooting pool or do so now.
This got me to thinking again:eek: that I feel sort of privileged to be a poolplayer. Outsiders do not understand what we do. If you tell a person that you bowl or that you play golf it's considered normal. If you tell a person that you shoot pool they look at you kinda funny.
Thinking further along these lines:eek::eek: I find that I have mixed feelings about promoting the sport and introducing more outsiders into our world. I understand the blessings it would bring to the top players and feel they deserve them. But, at the same time I'm jealous and maybe a little snobby about our comfortable little private world.
Do you AZers think I'm just a little neurotic or absolutely bonkers?:confused:

I agree-there are plenty of things that go on in this little world that are shady, larcenous, scandalous, tragic, sad or illegal. But there are things that go on that are truly honorable, heroic, awe inspiring and hilarious. It bothers me that I can't be at the pool hall much these days. I know I'm missing some good sh#t.

It's kind of like being allowed into the clubhouse or boysclub. Maybe like having to know the secret knock or handshake to gain entry into a speakeasy. It isn't a polite society groove. There is an undercurrent of 'should i really be doing this?' It isn't for everyone. That's part of the attraction. We have rogues and thieves and characters and caricatures and good guys and champions. The trick is to figure out who is who-quickly.

Many levels of acceptance co-exist in the pool scene. The players, the railbirds, the sweaters, each level has it's hardcore and occaisional dabblers.

Every pursuit has costs. Every pursuit has a pecking order. I am a lightweight. I have paid enough dues to be acknowledged with a 'what's up?' head nod in several rooms-that's enough for me-I'm an older "junior member". I play respectably but not good-that's enough for me. I have a lot of respect for the fully immersed players that live this life full bore. It's a dangerous game-the temptations are many-and the rewards are few-except for the very best-and they must be vigilant.

I love this game. I love the drama that plays out. I love the honor and deceit. I hope it can become more profitable for the gifted players. I'm not sure how to do that without opening the clubhouse doors to the unappreciative general public. It's not church but it's almost a religious experience when the room is jumping/ the dogs are barking at each other and the after hours action players are making those 'gotta go' shots that take the cash and have the railbirds clamoring-'really?!' and 'no f##cking way!'. Now that's a Saturday night/Sunday morning!!

I don't know if that is what you mean. But I feel something similar. I am not a gangster-but sometimes it feels right to be doing something that many would tell you is a wrong thing to be doing.

Just rambling on.


3railkick

Thanks to all us deviants
 
Last edited:
Back
Top