Owning your own table.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have never not had a table. There was a table available for me since I was a young child and there has always been one in my house even when I owned a pool room. I would think anyone who likes to play pool it is their dream to have a table in their home. What is stopping them?

If you were a Golfer, Bowler, Tennis player, Skier, or played any number of other sports it is not even a choice. If you are a pool player you can play on and practice on the same equipment the pros play on right in your own home.

It also doesn’t have to be perfect. Most argue they don’t have enough room. I helped a professional player (You would recognize his name) set up a table in his house and at one end there was maybe 3.5 feet to the wall. The other three sides were ok. He could care less.

The table still let him work on everything he needed to do. In fact unless the cue ball was on the rail and you were shooting straight away it didn’t come into play as much as you would think.

I often read on here guys getting small tables because they will fit better. Like I said, it doesn’t have to be perfect. I would go with the bigger table if there was any way posable. You can do your drills and most all the things you need to improve your game regardless of a wall or pole.

The money should not be much of a consideration as you will play thousands of hours of pool for the one time cost. It is also nice to play when you really feel like it, maybe in the middle of the night or when ever you have the urge. Those can be the most productive sessions.

If you are a pool player, your goal needs to be get your own table. No more excuses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never not had a table. There was a table available for me since I was a young child and there has always been one in my house even when I owned a pool room. I would think anyone who likes to play pool it is their dream to have a table in their home. What is stopping them?

If you were a Golfer, Bowler, Tennis player, Skier, or played any number of other sports it is not even a choice. If you are a pool player you can play on and practice on the same equipment the pros play on right in your own home.

It also doesn’t have to be perfect. Most argue they don’t have enough room. I helped a professional player (You would recognize his name) set up a table in his house and at one end there was maybe 3.5 feet to the wall. The other three sides were ok. He could care less.

The table still let him work on everything he needed to do. In fact unless the cue ball was on the rail and you were shooting straight away it didn’t come into play as much as you would think.

I often read on here guys getting small tables because they will fit better. Like I said, it doesn’t have to be perfect. I would go with the bigger table if there was any way posable. You can do your drills and most all the things you need to improve your game regardless of a wall or pole.

The money should not be much of a consideration as you will play thousands of hours of pool for the one time cost. It is also nice to play when you really feel like it, maybe in the middle of the night or when ever you have the urge. Those can be the most productive sessions.

If you are a pool player, your goal needs to be get your own table. No more excuses.
How this for an excuse: i live in an apartment. You wanna buy me a bumper-pool table??

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want my own table but as you mentioned there is no room. I am looking for a 3000sqft plus home so I am browsing with getting a table in mind.

The problem is that California doesn't offer any tables I want because I'm looking to buy a used table.

middleofnowhere

Registered
How this for an excuse: i live in an apartment. You wanna buy me a bumper-pool table??
That is why I said if any way posable. Your plan would have to be for the future even if it meant getting an apt that could accommodate a table.
I know a guy who rents and has a table The living room and dining area combo was more then big enough. Thats the reason he rented it.

ShootingHank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is why I said if any way posable. Your plan would have to be for the future even if it meant getting an apt that could accommodate a table.
I know a guy who rents and has a table The living room and dining area combo was more then big enough. Thats the reason he rented it.
Yea but where is he going to eat and kick up his feet with a big ass table taking over the damn apartment?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF???? Yeah, like i'm really going to double my rent just to have a table. Having 24hr access to a pool table has not,nor ever will be, a priority.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
We are fortunate enough to have room for 2 tables, 1 9' and 1 7' but I couldn't imagine not having enough room not to be able to play properly. I am guessing that if all I was able to do is drills because of not having enough access to all 4 sides you would lose some of the recreation part of having a table, then it becomes more like a job than recreation. Since we have had the table whenever we host a holiday or any other get together we inevitably end up downstairs on the pool table. First one or 2 people want to play and me being the host that I am are more than happy to oblige them, then others wander down and want to play while others go back up, its like a constant rotation of people and nobody came over with the idea of playing pool. I don't think it would be the same if we could just play 3/4's of a game of pool.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, it’s not just about having enough room, it’s about having enough extra room.

Most people (wives 😉) aren’t willing to trade their primary family/living area for a pool table.

middleofnowhere

Registered
WTF???? Yeah, like i'm really going to double my rent just to have a table. Having 24hr access to a pool table has not,nor ever will be, a priority.
Then this post obviously is not addressed to you. There are plenty of threads been on here by people who add rooms or do major renovations to get a table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then this post obviously is not addressed to you. There are plenty of threads been on here by people who add rooms or do major renovations to get a table.
Usually be people who have no room nearby. I'm 10minutes from a 17,000sq.ft. spot with 10 nice GC4's and 3 Diamonds at 4bux/hr. Why would i ever own a table?

soyale

i support your enthusiasm and agree that if you want it, you have to reach out and take it, but come on man.

I was born in 89. I was 19 in 2008 when the housing market crashed and we lost our home. I had been playing 6-8 hours a day at that point and was FINALLY starting to break and run 8 and 9 ball racks. By 2009 i was lucky to come up with quarters to play bar pool once a month and couldn't shoot a barn door.

You might want to rethink your “no excuses” approach to this. Having enough room to play is just one barrier.

Lets say we are looking to buy a $100 three piece slate 7 foot furniture table off craigslist. What if you dont have a car to go pick it up? What if you work 60 hours a week, are you supposed to take time off to go get this thing, or pay a guy $400 to do it for you? Okay so i spent the $500 and got the table moved into my third floor low income studio housing, now i have to burn everything i own to make room for this table’s long rail to be pushed up next to my refrigerator. This isnt a problem because i cant afford to eat.

But at least i can do drills by myself!

kidding aside, i appreciate what you’re trying to say and i will stick it in my pocket for later, because i AM one of those weirdos that desperately wants a table at home. I’m 32 now and im not sure if i will ever be as good as i was when i was 19 but i’m damn sure going to try!

middleofnowhere

Registered
We are fortunate enough to have room for 2 tables, 1 9' and 1 7' but I couldn't imagine not having enough room not to be able to play properly. I am guessing that if all I was able to do is drills because of not having enough access to all 4 sides you would lose some of the recreation part of having a table, then it becomes more like a job than recreation. Since we have had the table whenever we host a holiday or any other get together we inevitably end up downstairs on the pool table. First one or 2 people want to play and me being the host that I am are more than happy to oblige them, then others wander down and want to play while others go back up, its like a constant rotation of people and nobody came over with the idea of playing pool. I don't think it would be the same if we could just play 3/4's of a game of pool.
Your talking worse case, but a pole or a wall that occasionally comes into play really doesn't mean anything.

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I own a 1000sq ft home. 3 bed/2 bath. No room for a table unless it went in the living room. So I built a 400sq foot building out back to house a 9' table. Much less expensive than adding onto the existing home.

Took a while to implement and save for it, but I can't imagine not having a table in a future home purchase, if I ever leave this one.

middleofnowhere

Registered
sub·jec·tive
/səbˈjektiv/

adjective
  1. 1.
    based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
    "his views are highly subjective"
It's funny, I bought out a pool room in a bowling alley and had 12 GCs sitting in my warehouse. I had a corner in my pool room that was empty except for some seating.

The problem was two polls at one end so there was never a table there. I figured what the heck and set one up. At one end you bumped a poll on each corner when the cueball was close to the rail, the rest was fine. I put a short cue there to use.

Here is what is funny, that table always went all night. Seemed couples liked being in the corner away from people. They could care less about the short cue.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I have a buddy who has diamond barbox in his living room. Before that, in an equally small place, he had an 8ft diamond in his living room. And his girlfriend and kids either don't mind not having a living room or they just deal with it, because that's his reality.

Last edited: