P65 warning on a shaft

klikr

Hi all,
today I received a new cue, nothing fancy (Players HXTC9), just wanted to try a stick with an LD shaft. Unpacking it, I got aware of a sticker on the shaft near the joint that points me to the p65warnings.ca.gov website. I don't live in California, the warning is interesting enough, though. Would anyone in here with the knowledge provide me with information as to what chemicals in a pool cue could be of the type that would lead to cancer or reproductive harm as per the warnings?

Zerksies

I've spent more then enough time in pools halls, I'm assuming I'm going to be getting cancer more from second hand smoke then the cue itself.

I'm assuming the glues that they are using to put it together.

It's government and incredibly stupid, so that one tiny drop to put the tip on would be enough for a warning.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
today I received a new cue, nothing fancy (Players HXTC9), just wanted to try a stick with an LD shaft. Unpacking it, I got aware of a sticker on the shaft near the joint that points me to the p65warnings.ca.gov website. I don't live in California, the warning is interesting enough, though. Would anyone in here with the knowledge provide me with information as to what chemicals in a pool cue could be of the type that would lead to cancer or reproductive harm as per the warnings?
Probably either the adhesives in the shaft, or the stabilizers used in the wood. Just a guess.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Hi all,

Sawdust and whatever sealer they used are probably not safe to eat

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
The manufacturer is required to include that on items sold in CA.

The manufacturer cannot identify which product will be sold in or to CA.

The manufacturer avoids any possible penalty for failing to include that notice be putting it on every piece. Every piece.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

They had this warming on some chalk someone was worried about. I think if you just stay out of California you will be OK, things seem to be much more dangerous when they exist there than anywhere else.

Basically the test is pouring a gallon of paint thinner down the throat of a mouse, then seeing what happens. The levels of exposure to harmful chemicals is many times the normal exposure limits and amounts for things that they test.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
IMG_2264.jpeg

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chicken Little. Just another case of carrying warnings to such an extreme that they become meaningless. In the case of regulations, it tends to reinforce the idea that laws are stupid and need not be obeyed. I'm not saying that warning labels such as this lead to more murders or anything that extreme, but when a government consistently creates trivial or stupid regulations people do tend to pick and choose which ones are worth obeying. In this process, some laws that would be generally followed begin to be questioned and challenged more.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would put stickers on my products too. Except mine would say...

"Not to be sold in the state of California".

How long before the sticker will be required on used items?

Last edited:

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite warning: "According to the New Jersey Right to Know Act some contents are unknown"

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There should be a law that when a lawyer introduces a bill that cost more than the harm it prevents, then the lawyer is beaten to death with blunt instruments from everyone who wishes to participate.

It is like ladders with a sticker on the top rung that says, do not step here.

But, I am left wondering who would hold the wrong end of a chain saw. Thanks PT109 !

xX-Wizard-Xx

There should be a law that when a lawyer introduces a bill that cost more than the harm it prevents, then the lawyer is beaten to death with blunt instruments from everyone who wishes to participate.

It is like ladders with a sticker on the top rung that says, do not step here.

But, I am left wondering who would hold the wrong end of a chain saw. Thanks PT109 !
My vote would be justnum