paint gun question

buell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi folks just wanna know what kind of paint gun you are using for clearcot

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
About 8-10 yrs ago I went looking for a spray gun on eBay, nothing special.
I found a cheap import for about $20 delivered to the door so I bought one.
After I shot with it for about a week or so I went back to eBay and bought 1/2 doz. of them.
I'm now on gun#3 and when I get a minute, I'll rebuild 1 & 2, basically just change 'O'rings.
At this point, I don't see where I'll ever have to buy another spray-gun.

KJ

cutter

Steve Klein Custom Cues
Silver Member
paint gun

Sata mini jet 2, for clear coat. But it depends on what you want to shoot.
You can do a lot with needle size and air pressure settings. The smaller
you atomize the finish the smooth( read less sanding) you will get.
Many guns will shoot a nice finish, only thing I have noticed is that the
better the gun, the easier it is to clean.
For thicker finishes(uv) I shoot with a Finex 1000

I swear by this system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DeVILBI...1220996669&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

I hate clean up.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
A+ on the needle size and PSI @ the tip.
You can get a good finish with a cheap gun if you dial it in properly.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Hi,

For what it is worth, I use a 100.00 Finex Gun with a .08 tip.

I also use a 2k Speed Clear with a flow enhancer and there is no orange peel to consider.

I never wet sand with a grit lower than 1200 and do not spin my cues for wet sanding or buffing. If you don't spin there are never scratches or swirl marks and you can achieve a clear and deep luster. Heat during buffing is your friend and enemy as well so you must understand that fact to control heat during buffing. A tricky business for sure.

The finish on your cue is one of the most important features and it takes many years to refine your methods. The most important is not how your cue looks after you buff it but how does your finish and substrate hold up after years of use in the field. That is the true test of the finish procedure because of shrinkage, oxidation and numerous other factors.

Good luck in your journey spraying your cues. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of cue making when you get it right.

JMOs,

Rick

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi folks just wanna know what kind of paint gun you are using for clearcot

I have a Graco HVLP I bought maybe 10 years ago. Have since replaced the original gun. It was not cheap though like $700. back then. I wanted a good one anyway for other things not just cues, I even painted my truck with it.

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
I have a Sata mini 4 with a dedicated JunAir super silent running through a refrig zeks dryer. That shit all sits there looking pretty since i discovered Preval

BigDon

DESi Customs
Silver Member
I have a Sata mini 4 with a dedicated JunAir super silent running through a refrig zeks dryer. That shit all sits there looking pretty since i discovered Preval

I had noticed these and was very curious. Are they one time use or? I never could tell from their website.

DD Custom Cues

Cues by Drew
Silver Member
Wow I just looked at preval on there website. Is it as easy as it looks. How many cues can you do from one spray can.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

LGSM3

Jake<built cues for fun
Silver Member
You could use it 100 times depending on how much u wanna clean it. Ive only done a couple of cues so far and the can still feels full. I discovered it at work when we had to do some emergency painting. They will move some paint and can b thrown away when done. If i built alot of cues or did alot of refinishes then it may not make much sense but i dont

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Sata 4 and once over the initial sticker shock I've been very happy with it.

Dick

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Anest Iwata lph-80

It atomizes at 13psi and keeps overspray to minimum. Depending on your paint(think Chroma$$$$$), it could pay for itself.

Mr Nobody

Banned
I spray 2 butts and 2 shafts at a time or I have 4 slots . A harbor freight , home depot , or lowes touch up hvlp gun ...;)

RBC

Deceased
Hi,

For what it is worth, I use a 100.00 Finex Gun with a .08 tip.

I also use a 2k Speed Clear with a flow enhancer and there is no orange peel to consider.

I never wet sand with a grit lower than 1200 and do not spin my cues for wet sanding or buffing. If you don't spin there are never scratches or swirl marks and you can achieve a clear and deep luster. Heat during buffing is your friend and enemy as well so you must understand that fact to control heat during buffing. A tricky business for sure.

The finish on your cue is one of the most important features and it takes many years to refine your methods. The most important is not how your cue looks after you buff it but how does your finish and substrate hold up after years of use in the field. That is the true test of the finish procedure because of shrinkage, oxidation and numerous other factors.

Good luck in your journey spraying your cues. It is one of the most rewarding aspects of cue making when you get it right.

JMOs,

Rick

That's funny!

I have several Sharp Finex FX 1000's but I've never seen a 100.

I guess they must be special with that really small tip. I mean, mine have either a 1mm or a .8mm. But I just don't know about a .08mm tip. I mean, that's only about .003". I'm not sure my clear would even go through it.

Just pickin!:grin:

Royce

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
That's funny!

I have several Sharp Finex FX 1000's but I've never seen a 100.

I guess they must be special with that really small tip. I mean, mine have either a 1mm or a .8mm. But I just don't know about a .08mm tip. I mean, that's only about .003". I'm not sure my clear would even go through it.

Just pickin!:grin:

Royce

100.00 as in dollars not model number.

.8 mm is the size not .08.

Rick

Last edited: