Parica Stories

DrawtheRock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen Parica play in tournaments and saw him in a few of the old payball games in Los Angeles at Hard Times.

I would love to hear some gambling stories about him.

Jay, you have called him the most feared money player and I have heard the same things over and over, can some people share some of his gambling stories (who he played, how they matched up, and the outcome)

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I don't have a gambling story per se...

DrawtheRock said:
I have seen Parica play in tournaments and saw him in a few of the old payball games in Los Angeles at Hard Times.

I would love to hear some gambling stories about him.

Jay, you have called him the most feared money player and I have heard the same things over and over, can some people share some of his gambling stories (who he played, how they matched up, and the outcome)

In the 03 swannee memorial tourny, I watched him break and run a seven pack, on the eighth rack, he broke ran out to the four and it was locked up, he played a perfect safe, then with BIH ran out and broke and ran the ninth rack for a perfect 9-0 without his opponent even hitting a legal shot....

Jaden

Jadssons

Rehab is for Quitters
Silver Member
A good friend of mine was out in Vegas years ago with the APA (he was a 5 at the time) and the Pro 8 Ball Tourney was going on at the Riviera. My friend was playing Carribean Stud and Parica sat down next to him. My friend told Parica, "lets me and you play some 9 ball..." and Parica looked him up and down and said, " I dont even know you and you have the 6 out!". Now thats FEARLESS!!

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure.....

But I think he used to have an outstanding bet that he could stay up longer than anybody on the natural (no narcotics). I vaguely remember somebody telling me that, and after seeing him in the beginning years of DCC I believe it. I can remember he would play in every single mini tournament that startedat 12 AM and ran through 5 or 6 AM, and then be up in a couple hours to start the morning matches. It really got to be kind of funny seeing him walking around all those hours with that little grin on his face.

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at Hard Times Bellflower several years ago. After hours, there were 3 tables in action. I was just sitting in the bleachers watching a 9 ball match. Parica was playing Scotty Morgan some (I assume cheap) 1 pocket at the other end of the room. It was very quiet in the room when all of a sudden Parica's shrill voice shattered the silence "WHAT DA F**K????!!!"

I guess he missed an easy shot....everyone was cracking up.

HereWeGo

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫♬·¯·♩
Silver Member
Back when Jose and Santos were staying in CT and playing at Bristol Billiards they had a rented house they were staying in. Towards the start of their stay they were just hanging out at the house when Jose got a little surprise. He had gone to the "office" to take care of some "business" when there was a back up in the pipes. All you heard was a scream and out he walked soaking wet. Hope this one doesnt get me in trouble but it is to funny to keep it a secret.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
I watched Jose setup to face a top ranking pro at the Derby years ago. 9-Ball was the game. We all know how short those sets are and Jose's opponent chose to make a move on him early. He started an argument about racking and told Jose that the referee would have to rack for them. Jose just wanted to play so he said fine. The ref racked and Jose went to check the rack. His opponent told him he could not check the rack... Choosing pool over drama, Jose cracked em and made 5 balls. The rest of the set went the same way for his opponent.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a few Parica gambling tales, but here's one of my faves. It's not so much about the money or the game being played, but it is an example of what happens when three diehard action players can't find anybody else to shoot their dough at, and so they decide to play each other! :grin-square:

The Capital City Classic in Philadelphia was held at the Hilton, and the ballroom was absolutely first class. There was plenty of room between each table. The only problem was there weren't too many spectators to come see the big show. :sorry:

One evening, after the tournament matches, there weren't a lot of players around that looked like they wanted to get some action. Since it was slim pickings for action games, Keith McCready recruits Ryan McCreesh as a partner and decided to see if he could rope Jose Parica in with a one-pocket game, two against one, with Keith and Ryan alternating shots. It was close to the midnight hour, and most people were snuggled in their beds at the Hilton, but not Keith, Ryan, and Jose. :mad:

I was sitting on the rail, yawning, wondering how long it was going to take, so that we could retire for the night. It was a pretty uneventful game, but then it happened. Keith fired a shot into the corner pocket with authority. It was one of those lot-of-green shots and quite pretty. He split the wicket, as they say. :)

Jose Parica jumps up out of his chair and says, "You shot the ball into my hole." Keith has the deer-in-headlights look, but Ryan McCreesh had steam coming out of his ears. :eek:

Ryan looks at Keith and says, "What's wrong with you, doing that for my cheese?" Keith shrugs his shoulders and goes back to his chair, not believing he could have made such a gross error. :embarrassed2:

Jose begins to giggle, steps up to the plate. The table is wide open, the balls a looking pretty sweet for a run-out. Jose proceeds to pocket a ball. Piece of cake. :cool:

Keith jumped out of his chair and informed his opponent, "Jose, you just pocketed the ball in our hole." Then Jose got the deer-in-headlights look and returned to his chair, shaking his head. :embarrassed2:

When that game ended, Ryan unscrewed his stick and said, "I've had enough of this kind of action. I'm going to bed." :lol: