Passing of Jack Colavita

Railbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pool community lost another of it's greatest ambassador's this evening with the passing of New Jersey's own Jack Colavita. I'm truly lucky to have known him and to have been considered a friend.
Four years ago, with Jack's love for the game and his desire to give back to the game that he always said had given him so much, along with Comet Billiards in Parsippany, NJ had created the New Jersey State 14.1 Straight Pool Championship. The fourth year of that tournament is scheduled for next weekend September 30th, October 1st & October 2nd at Comet Billiards, unfortunately it won't be the same for us without Jack. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed!

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Railbird said:
The pool community lost another of it's greatest ambassador's this evening with the passing of New Jersey's own Jack Colavita. I'm truly lucky to have known him and to have been considered a friend.
Four years ago, with Jack's love for the game and his desire to give back to the game that he always said had given him so much, along with Comet Billiards in Parsippany, NJ had created the New Jersey State 14.1 Straight Pool Championship. The fourth year of that tournament is scheduled for next weekend September 30th, October 1st & October 2nd at Comet Billiards, unfortunately it won't be the same for us without Jack. Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed!

Jack was always nice to me while he was beating me in the 14.1 tournys we matched up in. He always took the time to explain what I was doing wrong, even though we were in a match. He had that nice "grandfather" way about him.

The last time, he beat me 150/145 I think it was. I was totally nervous because Allen Hopkins, Shadow, and Danny Baroutti (sp) were sweating the match tableside.

I'm sorry to hear he's gone, but glad to have played and talked with one of the North East's greatest players......Gerry

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Jack was always a nice guy. He had great stories, was always easy to talk to. What I liked most about Jack, he never held anything back. Whether it was pool, or opinion, you got everything he had.

Joe (--will miss Jack

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When I was a young player at the Golden Q in Queens, NY, Jack Colavita was among my earliest influences.

He spent time with me to help me improve my game, and never charged me a nickel for it. I have tried very hard to follow his example, and have helped many over the years with their games for no charge.

Rest in peace, Jack, and thanks for all the good lessons and good times.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
This is so sad to hear! And with his event next weekend, too!

Jack would always give me a warm welcome whenever I was at Comet with JPNEWT. I'm not too sure he would remember my name, but he always had a kiss on the cheek for me.

The pool community has lost another Great One. May he rest in peace.

Barbara

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
Passing Of Jack

Railbird said:

TO ALL,
ANYONE INTERESTED IN ATTENDING THE SERVICES SHOULD CALL COMET BILLIARDS FOR INFORMATION.
JACK WAS A GRANDFATHER TO ME, TOUGHT ME MANY THINGS ABOUT THIS GAME OF BILLIARDS, AND LIFE. I WILL MISS YOU DEARLY "POP" LOVE YA, FRANKIE THE KID............RIP

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Railbird said:

I consider myself lucky that I got to know Jack over the last 5 years or so. He always treated my wife and me wonderfully. Whenever I ask Danny Barouty about the older-generation of players, Jack's name is among the first he mentions. Easily a world-class player, he possessed one of the smoothest strokes this game has ever seen.

What he did for 14.1 these last years in creating the New Jersey State Championship cannot be understated either. This tournament was truly his baby, and it will never be the same without him.

The pool world mourns today...

- Steve

cgfx

Registered
Jack was a true gentleman. I met Jack about 30 years ago at Westend Billiards in Elizabeth NJ. Jack was a family man and always had time to help anyone out with their game. This years tournament wont be the same without him.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Sad news. What a great, easy going guy Jack was. I'm one of the fortunate ones to have known Jack. Like many others, Jack has helped me with my game. Jack had an easy way of talking to you, kinda like a combination of a friend/uncle. I don't think I've ever seen him upset or angry.

Jack loved Straight Pool. He started the NJ 14.1 Championships with the hope of "keeping Straight alive". If anything, I hope those that love 14.1 will pick up the torch and run with it.

Eric >will miss Jack

pooltime

Cue Repair | Cue Sales
Silver Member
I am so saddened by this news. I first met Jack in the late '70's as a little boy who went to the pool room to watch my Dad play. That was at O'Dowd's in Pine Brook, NJ. When that room closed down some of the players went off on their own and opened rooms - including my Dad.

Years down the road my Family opened another room in the early '90's and Jack became the House Pro. When I finished up college and was in between jobs I worked at the pool room and became good friends with Jack. I got to appreciate his game that much more as an adult. He was just great to watch, so smooth and effortless in his straight pool approach. He'd come in break the balls up, run a 100, 120, 150, like it was nothing and if no game came in - he break down his cue, talk for a bit and say see ya tomorrow.

I had lost touch with Jack over the past 7 years or so, but it was great to here that he was still at it playing at Comet.

I was hoping to get to the NJ Straight Pool Tourney and see Jack and say hello once again. I am sad I will not have that opportunity. I feel honored I was able to know a person and player like Jack - God Bless and my prayers are with his family.

Ian

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I will miss Jack terribly. I met Jack when I was a kid and I was blessed to learn alot from him. I loved to watch him play. He was one of the best players - EVER. My prayers go out to his family. Looking on the bright side, Johnny E got action.

God Bless Jack Colavita

frankwhite

Silver Member
Funeral Arrangements

Galante Funeral Home
54 Roseland Ave.
West Caldwel, New Jersey

Thursday - 4:00pm To 9:00pm
Friday - 2:00pm To 4:00pm And 7:00pm To 9:00pm
Saturday - Burial 10:00am At The Gates Of Heaven In East Hanover, N.j.

poolshark52

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a great loss...jack was a true gentleman, great player, and just a nice class guy. i had many games with him over the years and win or lose he always had a smile and a warm handshake for me. he was mr. 14.1.....we will all miss him!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
frankwhite said:
Galante Funeral Home
54 Roseland Ave.
West Caldwel, New Jersey

Thursday - 4:00pm To 9:00pm
Friday - 2:00pm To 4:00pm And 7:00pm To 9:00pm
Saturday - Burial 10:00am At The Gates Of Heaven In East Hanover, N.j.

Thanks for the info, Frank. I'll probably be there after work, on Thurs.

Eric

frankwhite

Silver Member
Eric. said:
Thanks for the info, Frank. I'll probably be there after work, on Thurs.

Eric

No problem Eric, it is the least I can do, for a man that took me in as if i was his grandson. Any friend to "POP" is a friend of mine. Look foward to meeting you Eric.
Thank You,
Frankie

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Many may not know that in the days of the PPPA (late 1970's and early 1980's), the players voted, once a year, on who had the best stroke. Invariably, two guys got most of the votes: Jack Colavita and Steve Mizerak. That is high praise in view of the fact that many hall of famers were members of the PPPA. Jack had many big wins, but the biggest was surely when he beat Sigel during the World Straight Pool Championships in Philadelphia (1986?)

Let us mourn the loss of Jack Colavita, but as the legends of straight pool are slowly removed from our midst, let us cling to those who remain, and, just possibly, allow their presence to ease our heartbreak.

Let us celebrate the presence of the many straight pool era legends who remain in our midst, such as Mike Sigel, Jean Balukas, Nick Varner, Steve Mizerak, Ray Martin, Allen Hopkins, Jimmy Rempe, Dallas West, Dan DiLiberto, Jim Fusco, Pete Margo, Lou Butera, Jose Garcia, Pat Fleming, Tom Walter and others.

I know Jack would want us to feel this way about his contemporaries.

Last edited:

Ryan McCreesh

"Genie Man"
Silver Member
Railbird said:

:( Just got online for the first time today to see what happened to Jack!The first thing was goose bumps and a tear in my eye,I liked Jack very much as a person and a poolplayer,I would drive almost 3 hours every tuesday night to Rockaway billiards in Rockaway N.J.to play him and play the tourny they had.He taught me alot about pool and how to hit the ball,I'm so sick to my stoamck I can't even spell.I was really looking forward to seeing him at the Straight Pool tourny next friday with my free entery into it.My heart goes out to him and his family.Rest in Peace my friend and see you when I get there!! ;)

Railbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Many may not know that in the days of the PPPA (late 1970's and early 1980's), the players voted, once a year, on who had the best stroke. Invariably, two guys got most of the votes: Jack Colavita and Steve Mizerak. That is high praise in view of the fact that many hall of famers were members of the PPPA. Jack had many big wins, but the biggest was surely when he beat Sigel during the World Straight Pool Championships in Philadelphia (1986?)

Let us mourn the loss of Jack Colavita, but as the legends of straight pool are slowly removed from our midst, let us cling to those who remain, and, just possibly, allow their presence to ease our heartbreak.

Let us celebrate the presence of the many straight pool era legends who remain in our midst, such as Mike Sigel, Nick Varner, Steve Mizerak, Ray Martin, Allen Hopkins, Jimmy Rempe, Dallas West, Dan DiLiberto, Jim Fusco, Pete Margo, Lou Butera and others. I know Jack would want us to feel this way about his contemporaries.

SJM,
I was always in awe of Jack's stroke, I could watch him for hours as he so effortlessly and smoothly moved the cueball around the table. He truly made the game look so simple.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to read about Jack. Like many players that grew up in the 60's, straight pool was my first love...

This photo is of Jack in the early 80's

Attachments

• Colavita,Jack.jpg
    Colavita,Jack.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,762