Passing of Larry Hubbart today

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry hear the news. players shared many stories about larry back in the early 80s to me. a legend for sure! see you pool heaven someday buddy!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Mr. Larry Hubbart has passed away, but survived by 250K people who play pool on a weekly basis because of participation in the handicapped league he helped co-founded.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met him around 1973 over int tearkana. It was at a palceontTexas arkanss border in a bar clle he Firendly Tavern. Terry Bell was living there and a great palyer.
They pleyerd ( ball for several consecutive nights an betting about $@-300 agme. The place was packed and everyone was betting on th side Everytime terry mised something, he just raked the balls and the little town crowd had never sseen such play and almost wne t crzy.
Larry let his break cue drop to thfloor And I picked it up and felt like I hd just grabbed a 0 ppund dumbell. he told me it wieeighed 29 ounces It was like a war club.
I don't remember who won exactly except ther was a lot of see/saw and very entetaining.
Later in the week Boby Madrid walked in and terry and larry took a break. Larrry played Bobby for about tow hours and the fat aldy sang. It ws no contest.
Buddy was living in shreveport ust 90 miles away and nver showwed up I thought that was ineresting.
They had a fuy with them called Floyd who racked for Larry and played a ittle but stiffed everyone eh eplyed including me. It was quite a week for Small town america and educational.He had an awesome stroke

Joel Chue

Billiard Enthusiast, custom cue & memorbilia
Silver Member
Larry Hubbart

My last 2 memories of Larry Hubbart was 2010 @ The Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony @ the 2010 9 Ball US open Where I was in the crown at the banquet that drove from Ga for the induction. The second was at the 2009 APA Christmas Party In St. Louis at Harrah's Casiono. The Picture of Course is of Terry Bell My wife Sandra, My self, and Larry Hubbart. They were both Gracious to autograph the picture for us a few months later. Larry will truly be missed, and many prayers go out to Nancy, and his whole family. He is truly the only ICEMAN.

Attachments

• Larry Hubbart.jpg
    Larry Hubbart.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 184

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A true champion to the world of pool and people with an extreme love of the game. Larry will be missed, but the love he showed for the game will go on for a long, long time throughout history. Rip and well wishes and prayers to his family.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Larry in the 70's when he came through my home town to play a high rolling bookie. He ended up giving him 21 points on a snooker table with only 6 red balls for 500 a game. Larry won over 20,000 before he left town. Not a bad score in the 70's. He had Terry Bell with him. He was one smooth gambler.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I'm sorry to hear of Larry's passing, my condolences to his family and friends.

I first saw Larry and a young Mike Sigel at a big 9-Ball tournament in Hot Springs, Arkansas at the Velda Rose Hotel back in about 76 when I was a teenager in highschool. I guess the late 70's were Larry's very best on a pool table, he was a great Champion!

David Harcrow

Last edited: