Perfect Practice Makes Perfect - How to Train your Tempo for Ideal Speed Control

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Watch the video so you can see why the 4/4 time is important, I break the drill into 4 parts.....it couldn't be any more simple.
So there's the 72 bpm tempo and the 4/4 rhythm.

Your rhythm sounds more like 2/4 to me...

beat - Ready
beat
beat - Set
beat
beat - OB
beat - Draw Back
beat - Release
beat

...but I suppose that's a choice, like the exact tempo (bpm) is?

pj
chgo

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
So there's the 72 bpm tempo and the 4/4 rhythm.

Your rhythm sounds more like 2/4 to me...

beat - Ready
beat
beat - Set
beat
beat - OB
beat - Draw Back
beat - Release
beat

...but I suppose that's a choice, like the exact tempo (bpm) is?

pj
chgo
Sure, always be at choice, I show guidelines, baselines and reference indexes, we all have our own pace of living, eating, breathing, etcetera ☯️

When you mix the 'Perfect Tempo Trainer' with my 'Precision Pool Drills' you have a highly effective combination.....of course I can't do it for you, it took me thousands and thousands of hours to refine my skills, just like any other champions - just because someone has more talent doesn't mean they don't have to put in as many hours.

For players striving for better tempo this is an amazing gift, because practice doesn't make perfect, Perfect Practice makes Perfect....this is the perfect practice for an aspiring player's tempo.....from my experience the tempo either enhances every aspect of your game, or throws it off.....when my tempo is flowing I am able to rehearse every aspect of the upcoming shot as well as possible, this gives me the ability to go down to the shooting position as if I've already made every shot.

This is when a transformation happens, the player will evolve from playing the game to the Game Playing Through the Player. ....the ultimate zone, trance, and the Dead $troke that gets the ca$h. (if you like to gamble and the thrill of competition).

The GAME is the Teacher

dquarasr

Registered
Holy crapola. I have always struggled with consistency. I tried the tempo drill combined with the no practice stroke drill. I was entirely skeptical. How in the hell can I ensure I am aligned without practice strokes?

I went with it. My wife was watching TV while I was practicing with the metronome clicking. "What's that noise?" Since I was a drummer, I needed only about 15 minutes with the cadence to internalize it. Then I turned off the app on the phone.

So all day today, sometimes 1/2 hour at a time, sometimes just one 6-ball ghost rack, sometimes using just a straight-in drill shot, I tried the tempo cadence, along with no practice strokes. I'd stand in front of the shot, determining where I wanted CB to end up. I'd line up the shot. I'd get down on the shot and start the cadence in my head.

I cannot profess to have made every shot. But my potting percentage was WAY up. My ability to run out 6-ball ghost drill was WAY up. I cannot explain it. The confidence in my shot making went up immeasurably. And all without practice strokes. It's liberating. For some reason, the cadence allows an unthinking, sub-conscious (unconscious?) ability to get aligned and then stroke as intended. Wow.

Hopefully, as has betrayed me before, this epiphany will be not be short-lived. I have tried things in the past with a modicum of success only to return to the table the next day or day after to find the effect was frustratingly temporary. But of all the things I have tried to replicate the "good sessions" so far this has been the easiest to replicate and invoke, as I tried racks in concentrated sessions; between phases of preparing dinner; between dog walks; and just walking up to the table to try a few three-ball runs. I only hope I can obtain this feeling tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

For now I will play without practice strokes and see where it leads. TOTALLY counter-intuitive, but so far it works. I am not so naive to think this will be a permanent technique to make me more consistent, but it certainly is a step in the right direction. Thanks, CJ.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Holy crapola. I have always struggled with consistency. I tried the tempo drill combined with the no practice stroke drill. I was entirely skeptical. How in the hell can I ensure I am aligned without practice strokes?

I went with it. My wife was watching TV while I was practicing with the metronome clicking. "What's that noise?" Since I was a drummer, I needed only about 15 minutes with the cadence to internalize it. Then I turned off the app on the phone.

So all day today, sometimes 1/2 hour at a time, sometimes just one 6-ball ghost rack, sometimes using just a straight-in drill shot, I tried the tempo cadence, along with no practice strokes. I'd stand in front of the shot, determining where I wanted CB to end up. I'd line up the shot. I'd get down on the shot and start the cadence in my head.

I cannot profess to have made every shot. But my potting percentage was WAY up. My ability to run out 6-ball ghost drill was WAY up. I cannot explain it. The confidence in my shot making went up immeasurably. And all without practice strokes. It's liberating. For some reason, the cadence allows an unthinking, sub-conscious (unconscious?) ability to get aligned and then stroke as intended. Wow.

Hopefully, as has betrayed me before, this epiphany will be not be short-lived. I have tried things in the past with a modicum of success only to return to the table the next day or day after to find the effect was frustratingly temporary. But of all the things I have tried to replicate the "good sessions" so far this has been the easiest to replicate and invoke, as I tried racks in concentrated sessions; between phases of preparing dinner; between dog walks; and just walking up to the table to try a few three-ball runs. I only hope I can obtain this feeling tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that.

For now I will play without practice strokes and see where it leads. TOTALLY counter-intuitive, but so far it works. I am not so naive to think this will be a permanent technique to make me more consistent, but it certainly is a step in the right direction. Thanks, CJ.
You are definitely taking a step on the right path, in the right direction to improve your overall game. Eliminating the practice strokes MAKE you get down better on the cueball.....I'd recommend if you don't get down well shoot anyway and try to over-cut or under-cut the shot.....this will develop a signal so in competition you should get back up and start the pre shot routine again.....I generally commit to the shot and except the outcome the same no matter what it is.

Tempo is powerful, especially a pendulum tempo like the Metronome produces....The entire series of drills you can Train with a metronome on my website, it's the 'Precision Pool Drills' section.....just that section is worth a steak dinner - you can improve as much in one month as years of regular practice as you've been doing.

I used to get action (To Stay in $troke), now most of my playing time is limited in so I use some of the drills to Pin as sharp as possible. It's tough to win against Shane, SKY, Billy, Corey, and Robb these days without putting in 40 hours a week.....who has time for that? Use that metronome for 3 hours total and you'll be amazed what happens, I know you can do the cadence in your head, however, the metronome will lower your brainwaves from Beta down to Alpha so the training becomes more subconscious, this is a powerful self hypnotizing tool to get in the zone, or a trance state of mind (it takes mental practice).

The Game is the Teacher

J Soto

The NON-Myth
Silver Member
The 4/4 time doesn't really matter. 72bpm at 3/4 or 2/4 time will still be the same speed. Other than that, my thoughts were that most coaches recommend a pause on the final back swing before taking the shot. I get that rhythm is important, but losing the pause seems like it would be detrimental. Also, do you recommend feathering in time with the metronome? I notice you have zero feathers in your video, but presume that isn't how you actually shoot. Losing all feathers and the pause on the backswing seems like it would be a step backwards for most people. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment of using a metronome, this all seems like trying to force a square peg into a round whole, and raises as many disbenefits as benefits.
Shane Van Boening pauses when the cue tip is right at the cueball, not the final backswing. There’s no right or wrong way to play pool. Alot of instructors also say don’t drop your elbow, but all the great players that I have seen in person definitely drop their elbow with the exception of one player.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening pauses when the cue tip is right at the cueball, not the final backswing. There’s no right or wrong way to play pool. Alot of instructors also say don’t drop your elbow, but all the great players that I have seen in person definitely drop their elbow with the exception of one player.
Shane pauses when the cutup is right at the cueball and also on the completion of the backstroke. His tempo is outstanding, and that's the theme of this thread.....improving your tempo. There are many wrong ways to play pool, just like there's many ways to not play a musical instrument. Great players "drop" the elbow because they are releasing the coil from the backswing, this is another area many player can improve. This coil is called Chambering, it's also used by martial artists to add power to their punches and kicks.....a powerful pool stroke also benefits from a coiling motion with the hand all the way to the shoulder.....then the release is automatic, like snow falling off a bamboo leaf at the moment of highest tension.

The Game is the Teacher

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 4/4 time doesn't really matter. 72bpm at 3/4 or 2/4 time will still be the same speed. Other than that, my thoughts were that most coaches recommend a pause on the final back swing before taking the shot. I get that rhythm is important, but losing the pause seems like it would be detrimental. Also, do you recommend feathering in time with the metronome? I notice you have zero feathers in your video, but presume that isn't how you actually shoot. Losing all feathers and the pause on the backswing seems like it would be a step backwards for most people. Whilst I appreciate the sentiment of using a metronome, this all seems like trying to force a square peg into a round whole, and raises as many disbenefits as benefits.
4/4 time does make a difference, why don't you try it and see for yourself unless you like the fourth beat to sound different. This throws off the entire drill, you want all four beats to sound the same and on all the metronome downloads I've used it has to be on 4/4 time to get the consistency on all 4 beats.

I pause before you take the cue back gives your eyes enough time to adjust to the object ball, and feel the connection. There's also usually a pause on the backstroke that makes the stroke have a pendulum like motion.

There's no feathering in the drill, you should watch the video again, you seemed to have missed the most important aspects of the drill. I've trained many players using this drill and the benefits are impressive, without good tempo controlling the cue/cueball speed is impossible to do at a World-Class level. Watch Shane more closely and you'll see that his tempo is a key to his cue ball control......and his "POP" at the moment of contact is another key to his accuracy and precision cue ball targeting.

The Game is the Teacher

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4/4 time does make a difference, why don't you try it and see for yourself unless you like the fourth beat to sound different. This throws off the entire drill, you want all four beats to sound the same and on all the metronome downloads I've used it has to be on 4/4 time to get the consistency on all 4 beats.

I pause before you take the cue back gives your eyes enough time to adjust to the object ball, and feel the connection. There's also usually a pause on the backstroke that makes the stroke have a pendulum like motion.

There's no feathering in the drill, you should watch the video again, you seemed to have missed the most important aspects of the drill. I've trained many players using this drill and the benefits are impressive, without good tempo controlling the cue/cueball speed is impossible to do at a World-Class level. Watch Shane more closely and you'll see that his tempo is a key to his cue ball control......and his "POP" at the moment of contact is another key to his accuracy and precision cue ball targeting.

The Game is the Teacher
Thanks, I did watch the video, just don't agree. It's not possible to keep the same tempo on all shots. What if you have to lengthen or shorten your bridge? That's going to change your tempo. Or what about how hard you're hitting the ball? That's going to change your tempo. I agree about trying to keep a good rhythm and being as consistent as possible, but playing with a metronome only really works if you are playing the same shot over and over again. It also doesn't work if you have a pronounced pause on the back swing, unless you incorporate the same pause just before when you address the cue ball.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't done it with the metronome yet but did hit some balls as you describe. I'm excited and looking forward to some extended practice sessions with this info. This should really help out. Thanks C J

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I did watch the video, just don't agree. It's not possible to keep the same tempo on all shots. What if you have to lengthen or shorten your bridge? That's going to change your tempo. Or what about how hard you're hitting the ball? That's going to change your tempo. I agree about trying to keep a good rhythm and being as consistent as possible, but playing with a metronome only really works if you are playing the same shot over and over again. It also doesn't work if you have a pronounced pause on the back swing, unless you incorporate the same pause just before when you address the cue ball.
It's a drill silly, geeeesh, you know what they say about condemnation before investigation?!?......you have to do it to understand how it helps your game, just like the Touch of Inside you have to do it for 3 hours....physically....on the pool table.....off the couch. :ROFLMAO:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't done it with the metronome yet but did hit some balls as you describe. I'm excited and looking forward to some extended practice sessions with this info. This should really help out. Thanks C J
Make sure to practice the drill as long as you can, my first time was 3 hours, but I'm unusual, 30 minutes will give some noticeable benefits.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a drill silly, geeeesh, you know what they say about condemnation before investigation?!?......you have to do it to understand how it helps your game, just like the Touch of Inside you have to do it for 3 hours....physically....on the pool table.....off the couch. :ROFLMAO:
What's the point in a drill if you can't use what you've learnt in a match situation? I tried it on the table for about 30 minutes as my warm up this week as it happens and not 'on the couch' as you presumed, and don't get how it's supposed to help my game. I found that it either made me rush or slow down parts of my stroke, and not with good results, depending on my metronome speeds. I don't think this or anything else I have asked is silly. Maybe I just don't understand, but perhaps you could help by explaining differently?

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
What's the point in a drill if you can't use what you've learnt in a match situation? I tried it on the table for about 30 minutes as my warm up this week as it happens and not 'on the couch' as you presumed, and don't get how it's supposed to help my game. I found that it either made me rush or slow down parts of my stroke, and not with good results, depending on my metronome speeds. I don't think this or anything else I have asked is silly. Maybe I just don't understand, but perhaps you could help by explaining differently?
I'm not answering for CJ, but I assume once you get the correct tempo and practice at that you won't have to rush or slow down. It would lead to consistency after practicing that way. You're working on training your timing. Obviously if you had to readjust or something you wouldn't just rush to shoot.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not answering for CJ, but I assume once you get the correct tempo and practice at that you won't have to rush or slow down. It would lead to consistency after practicing that way. You're working on training your timing. Obviously if you had to readjust or something you wouldn't just rush to shoot.
I have a pause on my backswing. I've had coaching a few times, and it's what was recommended. Observing pros, it's also what many do. I watch a lot of snooker, and they all pause on the backswing too. It helped my game a lot, getting me much more consistent. I'm not saying it's the only way, but it does seem to be pretty much accepted as 'best practice'. I do also think that timing and rhythm is important. But to work a metronome into practice for everyone that pauses on backswing means that they would have to slow their stroke down, introducing additional pauses at address. My other issue is that as soon as you change your bridge length and/or play shots with more or less power, you can't keep with the metronome unless you make your stroke quicker or slower, which is counterintuitive to keeping a good flow and rhythm. I am all for drills for improving stoke timing and consistency, I just think that it needs to be more sophisticated than this one if it is actually going to be useful in actual play.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's exactly right, and why I make sure to tell players that if you aren't prepared to do it for a few hours don't expect much benefit. When taking short cuts to playing at a high level it still takes 3-5 hours to make any significant difference, especially if you start off with bad habits.

I've had training sessions in martial arts when I practice attacking 4 different ways at the same time. Am I ever going to use this form in a self defense situation? Of course not, but if you can do this form, it makes many other things that you may use easier, quicker and more powerful.

That's the way with the drills I teach, they are designed to concentrate on one specific aspect of the game and exaggerate it in such a way that you will get noticeable, measurable, and observable benefits. In the Precision Pool Drills part of the web site there are 12 drills that I recommend, after doing one of them for 3 straight hours I had a 20 hour gambling session, missing only 5 balls on a 9' Triple Shimmed Black Crown table at my pool room. I've played many times for hours without a miss, but 20 straight hours was unusual.

That's a personal best and it was because of a drill that MAKES you go down on to the shooting position more precisely so when you play the regular way the pockets seem like bushel baskets!

The Game is the Teacher