Peter Vitalie pool tables

OtterBoy

Registered
Does anyone know if there is a printed story or video about Peter Vitalie pool tables and why did they go out of business?

OtterBoy

Registered
What about Andrew Gille, how was he affiliated with Peter Vitalie? It just seems that there is very little information about Vitalie pool tables and the company that produced them. Since they are considered one of the higher end tables, one would think that there be more information about them.

Last edited:

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peter Vitale is the best table I ever played in my life. I played on it at Bogarts Cafe, Livonia, MI around late 90s. I called it Cadillac of Pool tables. Peter vitale and Sterling owned by the same family. Company was once located somewhere in North Carolina. I don`t have any more details.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I played on one that was a home table. I thought played great and looked like it belonged in a mansion. Johnnyt

Arlene

Registered
There was a segment on "How it's Made" about Vitale Tables. Peter Vitale tables were used in the movie "Kiss Shot" starring Whoopi Goldberg. I happen to own one of the tables from the movie with original shipping label on it from Vitale to the movie set @ the Fairmont Hotel.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone is interested in a Vitalie table, there will be one on display at the upcoming Super Billiards Expo in PA.

It will be available for sale at the conclusion of the event if a buyer would like to take it away.

The table is 9' with 4.5 inch pockets, in excellent condition. It is also the personal table of pro player Zion Zvi, and has been a practice table for none other than Mika Immonen.

If you are interested or have any questions, please PM me.

Thanks,

Dan

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

There was a segment on "How it's Made" about Vitale Tables. Peter Vitale tables were used in the movie "Kiss Shot" starring Whoopi Goldberg. I happen to own one of the tables from the movie with original shipping label on it from Vitale to the movie set @ the Fairmont Hotel.

-

That's sweet! I'd like to see that table.

Rob.M

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gil and Andee Atkisson founded the Peter Vitale company in the late 70s. Peter Vitale had been a mentor to Gil when he was a young up and coming pool player in Southern California. Gil went on to own a nice poolroom in Anaheim before getting into the pool table business.

Andee used to design one very special table to be displayed at the BCA trade show every year. One of them had elephant head legs carved out of wood. Each year her table was the most unique and beautiful on display there.

In the Peter Vitale tournament staged in Los Angeles (yours truly was TD) in 1987, the tables had 4" deep cut pockets and gave all the players fits. To this day they were by far the most difficult pool tables to play on I've ever seen in any tournament. Gil and I discussed this prior to the event and I had suggested he make the tables play tough. He went over the top in that department.

You could actually hang a ball so deep in the corner pocket that if the cue ball was on the rail you couldn't make the ball! You couldn't see it! There is a video from this event available on my website and you can see for yourself how tough they were.

Gil and Andee had a life long love affair and when Gil died a few years back, Andee also passed away shortly after. They are together now for an eternity. :thumbup2:

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re Peter Vitalie Tables

Does anyone know if there is a printed story or video about Peter Vitalie pool tables and why did they go out of business?

Back in the 90's there was a pool hall in Niagara Falls Ontario Canada that had only
this tables in the room
This link has The Lord Nelson pic one of the best (about 15,000 retail back then)

http://www.niagarafallseightballpool.freeservers.com/photo6.html

I know the tables where made somewhere in Kansas (a dry town) and it was made in a special community where entertainment was banned (smoke, drinks, movies) and they used only Italian Slate I believe it was 2" thick (3 pieces)
The Colonial was the must common table
A piece of history, good times

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Gil and Andee Atkisson founded the Peter Vitale company in the late 70s. Peter Vitale had been a mentor to Gil when he was a young up and coming pool player in Southern California. Gil went on to own a nice poolroom in Anaheim before getting into the pool table business.

Andee used to design one very special table to be displayed at the BCA trade show every year. One of them had elephant head legs carved out of wood. Each year her table was the most unique and beautiful on display there.

In the Peter Vitale tournament staged in Los Angeles (yours truly was TD) in 1987, the tables had 4" deep cut pockets and gave all the players fits. To this day they were by far the most difficult pool tables to play on I've ever seen in any tournament. Gil and I discussed this prior to the event and I had suggested he make the tables play tough. He went over the top in that department.

You could actually hang a ball so deep in the corner pocket that if the cue ball was on the rail you couldn't make the ball! You couldn't see it! There is a video from this event available on my website and you can see for yourself how tough they were.

Gil and Andee had a life long love affair and when Gil died a few years back, Andee also passed away shortly after. They are together now for an eternity. :thumbup2:

Nice post Jay ;) When I ever ran across a Vitale, I would stop and look at it from head to toe. Quite the work of art !!

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Our student club used to have a Peter Vitalie table. I loved the sound of a ball going into the leather pocket:cool:, swoosh!

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the cushion profile for a Peter Vitalie table?

I own one with 760 Simonis and superspeed cushions that plays pretty well, but feel it could play better. Thinking about having Artemis cushions installed.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know the cushion profile for a Peter Vitalie table?

I own one with 760 Simonis and superspeed cushions that plays pretty well, but feel it could play better. Thinking about having Artemis cushions installed.

I'd post this question in the "Talk to a Mechanic" forum. I'm sure it will get answered properly.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Also i find it pretty lame to build such a beautiful line of tables that sold for over 10 000$ and not worry about putting some kind of levelers. I had to drill the legs everytime we sold one.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

forabeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in 1999 or 2000 Broad Street Billiards in Statesville, NC (long gone) had 10 or so Peter Vitale 9' Lord Nelson 6 leg tables. Gorgeous and awesome.