PIC request.......

swami4u

Banned
I would like to see some nice clear pics of all parts of a cue before
they are assembled. Finished forearm, finished handle, butt section
before butt cap installed, forearm no joint installed, ect ect

I think allot of people would like to see this also, it will give people a good reference point, to the amount of work in every custom cue.

Thanks

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! what happened to the days of finding a broken cue disecting it and trying to figure out some stuff by oneself lol. Sorry no disrespect

swami4u

Banned
Wow! what happened to the days of finding a broken cue disecting it and trying to figure out some stuff by oneself lol. Sorry no disrespect

Well thats easy, even broken cues in this market fetch 200.00, who can afford
to break up a broken cue anymore? :grin:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
No offence meant, but that request is like asking a magican to open up his travel cases and to look over his tricks, before he performs them. Couriosity, and learning, is good, but as another person mentioned, cutting up a cue is more informative, and can be quite fun. Have you purchased Chris Hightower's book or videos yet? If not, you should. A lot of good info there.
Dave

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member

I think allot of people would like to see this also, it will give people a good reference point, to the amount of work in every custom cue.

Thanks

Building cues is what we all have in common yet is what makes us each entirely different. It's in the way we build cues that our differences lie.
I have my own developed ways and quite frankly am not all that willing to share all of them. Sharing info on an open public forum is one thing but there is also a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I don't like going into another man's shop either. Lee Malakoff can verify this as he's asked me a couple of times, when we were on the east coast, to go with him to Paul Mottey's shop and I told him no. The subconscious mind is far more cleaver than you would expect. You might catch something in a casual glance that doesn't register at the time. 6 mos. later, the subconscious has designed that feature into one of your cues and you suddenly realize that you've just copied another man's work.

Each successful CM has things about his cues that make him different from the rest. It's a very difficult thing to find your own niche and to go weekly, monthly and yearly defining and refining that niche until it's solely yours. To give it all away in a slide-show of pics just doesn't sit right with me.

I apologize for not being able to contribute more to this thread but I think you now know why.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Building cues is what we all have in common yet is what makes us each entirely different. It's in the way we build cues that our differences lie.
I have my own developed ways and quite frankly am not all that willing to share all of them. Sharing info on an open public forum is one thing but there is also a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I don't like going into another man's shop either. Lee Malakoff can verify this as he's asked me a couple of times, when we were on the east coast, to go with him to Paul Mottey's shop and I told him no. The subconscious mind is far more cleaver than you would expect. You might catch something in a casual glance that doesn't register at the time. 6 mos. later, the subconscious has designed that feature into one of your cues and you suddenly realize that you've just copied another man's work.

Each successful CM has things about his cues that make him different from the rest. It's a very difficult thing to find your own niche and to go weekly, monthly and yearly defining and refining that niche until it's solely yours. To give it all away in a slide-show of pics just doesn't sit right with me.

I apologize for not being able to contribute more to this thread but I think you now know why.

That's completely understandable.

swami4u

Banned
That's completely understandable.

Well i for one don't like it, Nope, not one bit! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I can understand, not looking for peoples tricks, just some basic pics of cues in different stages of completion.
The reason i requested pics, is to learn what i can and cant do with my new lathe. At this point, i think i can

Tap joints
make pins
thread everything
make joints
taper the forarms, handle, butts (not final taper)

What i cant do is

Taper the cue while together
sand shafts
Im limited with 20" between centers (with this lathe)
and the bore is to small to do work on a full length butt

But for my first lathe, it will be okay, and will fit in with a larger one down the road.
Im looking for a old 36" wood lathe to match this guy now, for sanding/cleaning.
Hell' i might even run a over head drive system, and get real old school!
Here is a pic.................

LOL

Attachments

• overhead lathe.jpg
    overhead lathe.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

Brown Bear

Registered
For the record...

I'm just getting started with making sneaky petes and conversions and the most informative thing I've done so far is to cut up an old bar cue. For the last 6 months I've read most of the posts in this forum, watch the many available video, read books, and eventually just cut up a warped 10 dollar bar cue. Taking that time to learn and "reverse engineer" a cue is starting to pay off.
The information is out there, you just have to look. I've even found a few ways to make the process more affordable and and easier for me! :grin:

patrickcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a look at Prather's website they have a diagram of a cue either on thier site or in their catolog.

swami4u

Banned

Slow my roll, i know, i read it when you posted it, and i just read it again.....
Maybe we should make it sticky, or just keep following me to other threads, so everyone gets the point. Here, let me make it clear.......Im a N00b @ metal work! :grin:

My only roll now is INFO. gathering. Hell, i might never turn a piece of metal
as well as anyone, but, i'll never slow down my thirst for info. This is a area, IMHO, to gather info. So i ask questions, doesn't mean im going to jump head first into the shallow end of the pool, blind folded. I have appreciated your advise though, thanks.

I'll post up some good pics after i get my beast. And i'll also post up some pics after i do some tip work on some old shafts i got. I'm kinda excited about getting started. You would't believe the amount of info i have bookmarked
on this lathe, and also doing tip work.

Did you know that the soap dish looking (tray)attachment on this lathe is almost impossible to find?
Also, the brass oil hole plugs are simply impossible to get, and super rare too
see on these old south bend lathes?
My research is very thorough, and i always ask allot of questions.

Last edited:

fiolledapool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree 100%.

Last edited:

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Cue assembly

Thanks

Take a look at this website! www.denalicues.com/making_a_cue

Cuetips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offence meant, but that request is like asking a magican to open up his travel cases and to look over his tricks, before he performs them. Couriosity, and learning, is good, but as another person mentioned, cutting up a cue is more informative, and can be quite fun. Have you purchased Chris Hightower's book or videos yet? If not, you should. A lot of good info there.
Dave

Why don;t you answer this post about whether you have the books and video. I'm betting you don;t have any of them. Spend some money or borrow them from someone, get the reading or watching in, and then if you have questions still, I believe more people would be willing to make suggestions
Walter

swami4u

Banned
Why don;t you answer this post about whether you have the books and video. I'm betting you don;t have any of them. Spend some money or borrow them from someone, get the reading or watching in, and then if you have questions still, I believe more people would be willing to make suggestions
Walter

Thanks, i feel people have made a effort to answer my questions very well. I have received links in pm's, and allot of info. How much you want to bet? :wink:

Cuetips

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, i feel people have made a effort to answer my questions very well. I have received links in pm's, and allot of info. How much you want to bet? :wink:

Spoken like a true politician ( and here I thought you were only like 13 years old) again you're not answering the question.... have you books or video's on cue repairs/building or not???????
Walter

swami4u

Banned
Spoken like a true politician ( and here I thought you were only like 13 years old) again you're not answering the question.... have you books or video's on cue repairs/building or not???????
Walter

13 years old?

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone gained valuable info. from them.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
This will show you some stuff about how a Haley goes together. I don't want to speak for Ron but I know that he is pretty much an open book about how he does things . I sat and easedropped on a conversation that he was having with another top tier maker and the info flowed pretty freely. I believe the idea was that with the shareing of ideas comes progress and innovation.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=65524&highlight=Haley