Picking what Mosconi team you want to play for ?

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in regards to who gets picked to represent team USA Or team Europe, can an Euro player say, hey I want to play for team US since I reside in the states now or is it play for team Europe or don't play at all ? I ask because I think Shaw lives in the states now not sure if he is a US citizen yet ( does not matter to me) but does that matter to matchtoom sports in saying if he wants to play for what ever team ?

For instance like Mika M. If he was chosen to play for team Europe can he turn around and say no I want to play for team USA ? And end up on that team since he is a US citizen now ?

marek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in regards to who gets picked to represent team USA Or team Europe, can an Euro player say, hey I want to play for team US since I reside in the states now or is it play for team Europe or don't play at all ? I ask because I think Shaw lives in the states now not sure if he is a US citizen yet ( does not matter to me) but does that matter to matchtoom sports in saying if he wants to play for what ever team ?

For instance like Mika M. If he was chosen to play for team Europe can he turn around and say no I want to play for team USA ? And end up on that team since he is a US citizen now ?

The question is why would anyone eligible for a spot on euro team want to play on US team when there is much higher chance for euro team to win atm = 20k usd? Also I dont see Mika or Jayson rejecting their finish/scottish citizenship when playing World Cup of Pool for a chance to play on US team in Mosconi Cup :rolleyes:

MatchroomPool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
As far as we are concerned, residence is not relevant to which side a player would be eligible for. It's about nationality, and of the European players who reside in the USA, none of them are American citizens. Should a player renounce his original citizenship and take on American citizenship, then there is normally a period where he would not represent any country - three years in the case of the Olympics.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as we are concerned, residence is not relevant to which side a player would be eligible for. It's about nationality, and of the European players who reside in the USA, none of them are American citizens. Should a player renounce his original citizenship and take on American citizenship, then there is normally a period where he would not represent any country - three years in the case of the Olympics.

So they do not have to option to pick ?

If a top Euro player that normally plays for team Euro becomes a US Citizen then we will not be eligible to play for the Cup for a few years ?

The reason why i ask is i saw two Filipino players at this past US open opt for the US Flag instead of their native flag and we all Know that Alex P. uses the CAN flag, this is what made me wonder if the Mosconi cup players.

It was just some random thing that popped into my head when i noticed that.