pin in shaft

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do nearly all cuemakers put the pin in the butt... instead of the shaft? Just something I always wondered about. Billiard cues seem to be pin in shaft. Why not in the pool cues? Tradition?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apparently it's top secret....if they told you, they would have to kill you...... :D

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cheap imports

charlie, i was told by some older builders, back in the day that most cheap imports had the pin in the shaft, builders did not want their cues mistaken for them.

Keane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an actual reason, but perhaps a good 'side effect' or 'hindsight reason':

When joints are done pin-to-wood (no insert in the shaft), any cross threading or overtightening, or just thread wear would happen on the wood side. If the pin was in the shaft, it would be the butt that was broken, which is more expensive to replace! So if you have the pin thread into the shaft, if you damage the threads, only the shaft would have to be replaced/repaired, which is cheaper and easier to do.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One other consideration is that most players have more than one shaft [per butt] and each spare shaft would have to have its own pin.

TW

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one lingering thought I've always had about this subject is the fact the late, great cuemaker Burton Spain built his cues with the pins in the shafts... because he felt that produced a superior playing cue.

Keane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would it be more expensive or difficult to plug, drill & re-tap or add an insert to a butt versus a shaft???

I didn't think about plugging, however I imagine that doing that would reduce the value of any component. Since the butt is where the 'value' of a cue lies, I'd say that if you had to plug/drill/retap a cue, I'd rather have it done in the $200 shaft rather than the $1000 butt.

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one lingering thought I've always had about this subject is the fact the late, great cuemaker Burton Spain built his cues with the pins in the shafts... because he felt that produced a superior playing cue.

Almost correct.

Burton felt his entire joint design - not just the pin location - produced a superior playing cue, and having the pin in the shaft was integral to how his joint was constructed.

TW