Pins

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a beautiful cue with a 3/8 x 8 radial pin. I am looking for shafts that fit this pin. I see that there are 3/8 x 8 and 3/8 x 10. If a shaft says radial pin, how can I tell which one it is? Please excuse my ingnorance. Up until now all I have used is uni-loc.

Eagleshot

Mark Nanashee
Silver Member
I believe the difference would be 8 threads per inch vs. 10 threads per inch. Which one is "standard" for aftermarket shafts - you would need to verify. I'm leaning towards 10.

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
8 or 10

Most I have seen defined said they were 10s, but most didn't state anything one way or another.

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
As far as I know,there isn't a 3/8-10 Radial.

If yours is a 3/8-8,it's an import version.

The Uni-Loc branded Radial is 7.634. The difference may seem slight,and in reality is only a few thousandths of an inch in pitch,but this is the BIG difference.

They won't fit each other.

They simply HAVE to be made on a CNC machine,which is why the real Radial is so consistent and popular. Tommy D.

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin

3/8x8 radial brass pins used

Is what the add said. Will it be better to have the cue and shafts reworked to something more standard or buy a blank and just have a shaft fitted?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you provide the link to the ad or the cue? That might help identify if you have the original radial pin, or a knockoff.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original "radial" is manufactured only by "uniloc corporation". A few cue makers now offer a very similar pin, with only a tiny bit of difference from the "uniloc radial", that they manufacture themselves, or buy from a supplier other than Uniloc.

The two pins are not interchangeable.

Some people call this second pin 3/8 x 8 radial, or 3/8 x 8 ball, and perhaps other names I'm not aware of.

In the US, I believe Mike Webb and Rat Cues (both forum members here) will be able to make you a shaft with these threads without any issues.

Finally, since you bought the cue from the cue maker himself, and he seems to respond to questions on his sale thread, the question you want to ask him is if his pin is compatible with "uniloc radial".

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finish

Perfect. I looked at the veneers and other parts with my jewelers hat and there is one "mistake" on the cue and you need the magnification to find it. So, I being a woodworker also, don't consider it a mistake. If the eye can't find it it doesn't count. I am very pleased. I don't have many cues and this pair are sweet. I took the amboyna and my son took the ebony.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome. And if it is that second radial type pin, don't change it out... a lot of guys are using it now, and you should have no trouble getting a different shaft made.