Players dropping out of the Matchroom/Predator CLP

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Honestly almost nothing about this situation bothers me at all.

If Matchroom/Predator want to go in one direction and Meucci/Cuetec/players go in another, that’s a business decision. If they want to come together and work it out, kudos to them. If they don’t, then I’m not going to lose sleep. These are all choices and prerogatives.

The only thing that’s handled poorly is the fact that all parties couldn’t have ironed out these details before making any announcements. That’s the only part that is ridiculous to me.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louis Oosthuizen doesn't have to cover up the UPS logo on his shirt when he plays in the FedEx Cup playoffs.

Just another example of the kind of bush league, penny pinching, short sighted decisions we are used to in professional pool.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't find anything on his FB page. Did he post somewhere else?
He posted on a thread on my page. 19 hours ago, he posted this: "Correct the word “predator champion pool league” logo. There is a predator logo that I’m forced to wear. That’s why I’m not going. I’m not wearing predator logo."

7 hours ago on same thread, he posted this: "Cuetec comes first on my shirt no matter what."

gerryf

Shane, Skyler, and Chris were the only Americans originally in the tournament. I understand Chris is still going, so he'll be the only American.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd have less problem if it was a non-pool sponsor like Pepsi wanting their logos on display. They are backing the event, it is fine to have them advertise. Their tournament, their rules. Of course players don't have to participate.

The part that troubles me is that if Predator is forcing non-Predator players to wear their logo it is a bit misleading. It creates the impression that those players are sponsored by Predator or play with their cues. They are implying every top player in the world counts on their equipment. They aren't saying it, they are creating that perception. This isn't the case and shouldn't be done.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
He posted on a thread on my page. 19 hours ago, he posted this: "Correct the word “predator champion pool league” logo. There is a predator logo that I’m forced to wear. That’s why I’m not going. I’m not wearing predator logo."

7 hours ago on same thread, he posted this: "Cuetec comes first on my shirt no matter what."
Thanks for helping we who don't do facebook. :)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I'd have less problem if it was a non-pool sponsor like Pepsi wanting their logos on display. They are backing the event, it is fine to have them advertise. Their tournament, their rules. Of course players don't have to participate.

The part that troubles me is that if Predator is forcing non-Predator players to wear their logo it is a bit misleading. It creates the impression that those players are sponsored by Predator or play with their cues. They are implying every top player in the world counts on their equipment. They aren't saying it, they are creating that perception. This isn't the case and shouldn't be done.
I guess I'd have to see the logo. If it says, Predator Champions League, I'm not sure that really signals that every player there is using a predator cue. Especially since they are likely to have their own sponsorship logo underneath. I think it would be different if it was just a general 'Predator Cues' patch, which would likely cause confusion.

The other question is why is all of this coming to a head now a couple of weeks ahead of the event? I would have thought contracts would have been made clear before the promotional materials were made.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess I'd have to see the logo. If it says, Predator Champions League, I'm not sure that really signals that every player there is using a predator cue. Especially since they are likely to have their own sponsorship logo underneath. I think it would be different if it was just a general 'Predator Cues' patch, which would likely cause confusion.

The other question is why is all of this coming to a head now a couple of weeks ahead of the event? I would have thought contracts would have been made clear before the promotional materials were made.
Check out post #92 to see the logo, and judge for yourself.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Check out post #92 to see the logo, and judge for yourself.
I should say that I would need to see it on the player to see how clear it is. If the cat is all that is visible at a glance, then that would be problematic. From the image provided it just looks like a recreation of the tournament logo, which I would expect most people would take it as such. But if it’s a small patch where you only see the predator logo at a glance, then I can see the issue.

They should have just made up some jerseys with the logo on the back. It would be more visible and less likely to confuse.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

Shane is a badass.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But it would be good marketing for them to be able to create that impression. Like the SUV and truck ads that show people driving through mountains rounding up horses or going through Alaska snow drifts when those vehicles are usually seen picking up kids from daycare or driving some oranges home on a highway.

I think that having the logo and product on the event floor/signs/table/TV graphics is enough without having the players also have the logo on their shirts.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it would be good marketing for them to be able to create that impression. Like the SUV and truck ads that show people driving through mountains rounding up horses or going through Alaska snow drifts when those vehicles are usually seen picking up kids from daycare or driving some oranges home on a highway.

I think that having the logo and product on the event floor/signs/table/TV graphics is enough without having the players also have the logo on their shirts.

on the balls, even. their latest event was splattered with predator cats everywhere so it's not like they don't get exposure