Players dropping out of the Matchroom/Predator CLP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What part of the "People's Republic of China" is in error?

Yes I know about the office in FL. and the Revo's in MA.
What does the PRC have to do with anything? The company has always been in Florida. Its not owned by Chinese. Look, Ford is based in Dearborn and they have manuf. facilities in China. Does that make them a Chinese company? Lucasi cues are owned by Cue-n-Case but are made in a Chinese factory. Does that make them a Chinese company? No.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I msg'd Predator on this. They said players are allowed to wear their sponsor's logo.
See post #41. Yes, the players can wear their sponsor's logos. The issue is entirely whether they must also where the Predator Champions Pool League logo, as well.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its common when sponsors put up significant money and dont feel they should give out free advertising. i can understand that.

its a business deal. the players can play with the rules or not. it is their choice.

their own sponsors should have an option to pay to have their emblems on the players shirts.
and matchroom could let them maybe have one small patch that is approved.

if it was my tournament and i was adding money, i wouldnt let a player show up all dressed in ads for my competitors would you.
This is one of the reasons pro pool is a joke (somewhere in between cornhole and lawn tractor racing). There should be a governing body or federation that has a set of standards. All pro player's would then be able to wear their sponsorship patches in a uniform way.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the reasons pro pool is a joke (somewhere in between cornhole and lawn tractor racing). There should be a governing body or federation that has a set of standards. All pro player's would then be able to wear their sponsorship patches in a uniform way.
But they can?

The players are allowed to wear their own sponsorship patches (1 or 2, depending on the exact terms), they just have to wear a patch with the event sponsor's logo too.

Matchroom are pretty consistent on this across all their sports I believe (snooker, darts, tenpin bowling to name a few and up until this thread I thought it was no issue with pool either)!

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But they can?

The players are allowed to wear their own sponsorship patches (1 or 2, depending on the exact terms), they just have to wear a patch with the event sponsor's logo too.

Matchroom are pretty consistent on this across all their sports I believe (snooker, darts, tenpin bowling to name a few and up until this thread I thought it was no issue with pool either)!
Oh, well in that case the player's sponsors are wrong. Thanks for clarifying...

DieselPete

Oh, well in that case the player's sponsors are wrong. Thanks for clarifying...

If you pay a player to play with a Meucci and to wear your logo, seeing him wearing this logo wouldn't bother you?

PREDATOR
Champions Pool League

Then consider that the players almost certainly have to sign a media release, giving the tournament the right to broadcast and to photograph them and to use the photos for marketing. So then you find that they have cropped out the Meucci logo, and cropped out the "Champions Pool League" and it looks like the player is endorsing Predator cues and you have no recourse. Isn't that a problem?

DieselPete

Is the event adding money? If yes, the players ARE being compensated.

I pay an entry fee.
I have to wear a logo while I play, for a company that competes with one I endorse.
I finish out of the money.

How much, in dollars, was I directly compensated for wearing that competing logo? The answer can't be that players on the whole were compensated. I am the one who provided a service (space on my clothes for advertising purposes), so how much was I, and I alone, paid? The chance to try to earn compensation is not direct compensation.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....also note that Jayson, Skyler, Shane etc., aren't speaking out.
It is not their issue to address. Why would they actively out themselves in worse positions?

The matter isn't a new one and should have been addressed long beforehand.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator tends to go big with their logos and what viewers will see on the streams and photos is a Predator logo that, for most viewers, is going to look like an endorsement of that company and their equipment.

Personally, I think wearing their logo should be optional. Or maybe they say, " We'll pay you X$ to wear it." IOWs they could turn this into a win-win. But regrettably, as has already been pointed out, in pool the promoters have all the leverage, or as put in less polite society "the muscle" and can impose their will with impunity. That's really too bad.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Predator-CLP-Logo.jpg
    Predator-CLP-Logo.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 103

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I pay an entry fee.
I have to wear a logo while I play, for a company that competes with one I endorse.
I finish out of the money.

How much, in dollars, was I directly compensated for wearing that competing logo? The answer can't be that players on the whole were compensated. I am the one who provided a service (space on my clothes for advertising purposes), so how much was I, and I alone, paid? The chance to try to earn compensation is not direct compensation.
Huh? The compensation was exposure for your sponsor.

How much was the competitor compensated for the display of its competitor's (your sponsor's)logo?

Its a wash. Plenty of (proverbial) room for both and it is a mutually beneficial arrangement.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just trying to see how snooker resolved their issues and found these, quite interesting as I'm pretty sure some of the players wear betting firm logo's, so not sure how they get them approved!

This talks about a big dispute with the players quite a while ago (sounds very similar to this Predator issue), way before Barry Hearn took over:

This talks about the rules and how logo's have to be approved beforehand and some can be blocked by an event sponsor:

Its relevant, because if pool wants to be viewed in the same light as snooker, then it will probably have to follow similar guidelines (especially since the same guy is basically in charge of both)!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I msg'd Predator on this. They said players are allowed to wear their sponsor's logo.

Whut kinda bushwaa this is??

You are really pushing your luck! First you go to a source that might actually know something then you come back to the thread with the info! This is two strikes against you on the main forum. Had you pulled a move like this in the NPR political subforum you would not only be banned for life but you children and your children's children unto the seventh generation would be banned too!

The next time you even think about doing such a thing go buy a case of MD 20-20 and drink until you can't find the keyboard and pass out. This has a twofold effect. First it prevents fouling the board with facts and second the cheap wine hangover is adequate penance for anything this side of child molestation.

Drink deeply before it is too late! You will thank me in a week or three after you don't smell puke with every breath you take.

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... This talks about the rules and how logo's have to be approved beforehand and some can be blocked by an event sponsor: ...
Here's the text for those who don't like to click through:

WAISTCOAT LOGOS​

• All logos must be approved by WST (logo application form) before they can be worn in competition.
  • Logos must be a maximum of six square inches.
  • Logos to be worn at events in China must be approved three weeks in advance of the tournament.
  • The event sponsor will generally have brand exclusion on logos, meaning that you cannot wear a logo with a competing brand. This will be specified within each entry pack. See Player Logo Patch Size Chart.
logos.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Time for players to have alternate ways to promote.

What are the cheats are unclear boundaries not yet discussed?

Can players have visible tats or promote on their cue case or cue shaft?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Time for players to have alternate ways to promote.

What are the cheats are unclear boundaries not yet discussed?

Can players have visible tats or promote on their cue case or cue shaft?
The Filipino with the Viking brand cue tattoo on his arm can’t play:) (sorry I forgot his name right now).

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
The Filipino with the Viking brand cue tattoo on his arm can’t play:) (sorry I forgot his name right now).

I am thinking when people get on the tv table, they start acting up for their sponsors.

How would you signal your using a cue tec cue?