playing the ghost

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some rules questions about playing the ghost....i have been playing the ghost as It much as i can stand it...just to see if it will improve my concentration and position play a little...It all started after talking with a buddy about Dennis Orcollo playing the ghost on the 10 ft. tables at the Derby (8 ahead for 4 thousand)...anyways i played the ghost at one of our local pool rooms which have 7 ft. diamonds...i started out up 4 to zero and then won 9 to 4...probably was a better then average day for me maybe...but i was talking while doing it and relaxed and just breaking the balls good...anyways i have tried on the 9 ft. diamond and cant get there in a race to 9...so i went to trying on a 9 ft.GC with big pockets and failed twice and finally won 8 to 7....my buddies Diamonized 9 ft.GC kicks my butt also...ok my questions are ; if you scratch while breaking do you lose that game or take ball in hand and keep shooting....if you take an early combination does that count as a win,or do you have to run them out in order to win....what about pattern racking is that ok...not sure i see much difference there but maybe a little...

gentleman789

Straight Pool Player
Silver Member
I have some rules questions about playing the ghost....i have been playing the ghost as It much as i can stand it...just to see if it will improve my concentration and position play a little...It all started after talking with a buddy about Dennis Orcollo playing the ghost on the 10 ft. tables at the Derby (8 ahead for 4 thousand)...anyways i played the ghost at one of our local pool rooms which have 7 ft. diamonds...i started out up 4 to zero and then won 9 to 4...probably was a better then average day for me maybe...but i was talking while doing it and relaxed and just breaking the balls good...anyways i have tried on the 9 ft. diamond and cant get there in a race to 9...so i went to trying on a 9 ft.GC with big pockets and failed twice and finally won 8 to 7....my buddies Diamonized 9 ft.GC kicks my butt also...ok my questions are ; if you scratch while breaking do you lose that game or take ball in hand and keep shooting....if you take an early combination does that count as a win,or do you have to run them out in order to win....what about pattern racking is that ok...not sure i see much difference there but maybe a little...

There are many different rules I would say...don't know what could be considered "official"...

I play it that way:

Scratch on break: keep shooting
Combination: I run the balls that are left in order
Pattern racking shouldn't be ok imo...

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you scratch on the break just take BIH as far as pattern racking well think if your playing someone would object you pattern racking ?

Reading my posts means you consent to my incorrect spelling and poor typing skills.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
It seems to me combos on the 9 and pattern racking you are only cheating yourself, or fooling yourself about how good you are against the ghost.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems to me combos on the 9 and pattern racking you are only cheating yourself, or fooling yourself about how good you are against the ghost.

I agree

Reading my posts means you consent to my incorrect spelling and poor typing skills.

PolarBear

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe for the money, combos count...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
It's a well-known fact that everytime you pattern rack or take ball in hand after scratching on the break, the ghost spits in your drink.

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i havent really pattern racked...i dont really believe in that much, but i have on occasion played a combo, if it presents itself and i see the lay of the table is screwwed up,(multiple break outs),thats the way i would have played it if i was playing an opponent. I dont take combos very often unless they are hangers...i hate combos, if the table is open i am trying to run out...btw Victor i noticed my drink tasting a little funny....lol...now i know why...lol... thanks guys for the input and the links....i am going to beat the ghost on my buddies tight GC its just a matter of time...i hope...i am 47 if i dont get r done by 55 i am giving up...the eyes and focus arent what they used to be at 37...;)

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i never knew there were so many different ways to play the ghost...it seems infinate...pick the one that suits you i guess

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
There is a similar thread from some days ago...maybe you can find answers there, too....

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324407&highlight=ghost+rules

Yes, I started that thread asking about rules for playing the nine ball ghost. I think the best answer I received was from DallasHopps ....

It's best to agree to terms with the ghost (and post) before starting the set to avoid conflicts.

I certainly agree ... once you come to terms (since it's the ghost you make the terms) fire away. I play the ghost to improve my play ... as Hillary recently said, "What difference does it make?" I agree with that assessment for the ghost not what she was referring to. :p

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play ahead sets to really find out how you stand. If you can consistently beat the 9 ball ghost ten ahead, then play the 10 ball ghost. When you can beat it, play no combo's, it doesn't count on the break and you lose if you scratch on the break, it will also improve your break. When you can do this on 4 1/2" pockets, you have reached AA level in my opinion.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
It's really up to you. You can adjust the game to make it harder or easier. When you see people gambling at it, it's usually break ball in hand. If you win without missing, you win. Combos count, scratches on the break don't matter. It's a very straight forward game.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's how I play.

Scratch on Break = BIH
Combos count
9B on Break counts: I use The Slug Doctor on my table and probably make the 9 on the snap one out of every 100 racks.
Pattern Racking: Absolutely. The Ghost hasn't figured it out yet. Until he says something, I need all the advantages I can get.

The closest I've come in a race to 7 on my 9' with 4" pockets is 7-5. I'm still looking for my first win.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think the important thing is to milk as much practice as possible out of it, and then judging where you stand
as a player comes secondary to actually running balls.

So if you scratch, take the time to run the balls out. Then chalk up a loss, since a scratch on the break
is often a loss in real life vs. a pro too. You can't pretend it never happened, it's a definite error that
has determined the outcome of many tournament races and sets.

Combos count. They take their own skill to execute, there's no tournament where they're banned,
so you might as well practice them so that when a combo comes up in a real match,
you have a little practice making them. But fix your rack if the 9 keeps rolling to the hole and setting
up a short rack.

Pattern racking is fine, it's a skill worth having, and people exaggerate how it makes every rack the same.
Tiny differences in break angle and speed and hidden gaps will result in real differences in the rack
no matter how carefully you plan it out. You're still going to make a wide variety of shots.