Playing to the level of competition?

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this has probably been covered. But this is by biggest and most frustrating downfall. Maybe it can be contributed to lack of consistency.

I play with high skill level players on Friday and Saturday and I play very competitively... sure, they may take a few more games than I get but I consider them higher caliber good competition. Then I can go to the bar or league and get beat by some joker.

What really got me, was a guy I was playing with tonight says, "we're about on the same level in league." Sadly, I have to agree. I know I can handle him and is a notch below me, but when we play its close to even. I just never play good against the guy and I can say that about a few people I feel I am much stronger than. I'm and APA 6, just starting in Valley too, but I feel since two years ago when I started playing this has always been a problem.

So I guess to lay it out there, I don't play one pace. I play great, then decent, then poor, then good... you get the point. Does anyone else struggle with this? Has anyone struggled with this and feel you've overcome this issue? If so, how did you overcome it? I know experience, practice ect probably has a lot to do with it but it hurts loosing to people you should'nt.

Jallan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had a problem with this in the past and still sometimes do, however, I have decided that it does not matter who I play. My job at the table is to get out and that is what I try to do. Does it always happen? No. Does it happen a lot more often now that I have decided not to think about the guy in the chair? Yes.

It has helped me on a lot of levels, especially with tougher players.

That said, when I play weaker players, and this will sound like a jerk thing to say, I always remind myself how much I hate them for wanting to beat me and strive to make them look like fools. I know what I sound like but it puts me in the mindset to play as hard as I can. Does it always work? No. Has it made me stronger on many occasions when it could have been easy for me to back off and drop my gaurd allowing myself to make mistakes? Yes it has. Just my 2 cents.

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you sound like a jerk Jallan, I think that is a good mindset to have in a competitive environment. Its nothing personal, you just know they shouldnt be on your level on the table. I think your right with a lot of it beig in your head.

9bizzle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think you sound like a jerk Jallan, I think that is a good mindset to have in a competitive environment. Its nothing personal, you just know they shouldnt be on your level on the table. I think your right with a lot of it beig in your head.

I agree, you have to have that mindset no matter who you play. I play against very good friends and when we're at the table, I want nothing more than to crush them. Anyone who is playing you is trying to beat you, and you have to say to yourself "I will have none of that!".:mad:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
It's a common complaint. People tend to let up when they play weaker opponents.

When I play 8b and 9b, my focus is 100% on running out. Sometimes that means I don't safe when I ought to, but basically what I'm trying to beat is the ghost. I don't care who just racked for me. When I get to the table I want it to absolutely be my last inning, and I try to make it my last inning and what's-his-face in the chair there has nothing to do with anything.

If you're an APA 6 you can run out of some racks I take it, so your goal is to increase the number of outs. The bottom line to getting there is plan smarter, slow down, and sweat all the details. If you can end up too straight on a ball, take pains to figure out how to avoid that. If you can end up on the rail, take pains to make sure it can't happen. Don't allow yourself to get jacked up over a ball either.

Make a plan of the entire out, be aware of which side of the ball you need to fall on, and make absolutely sure you're on the correct side of the ball every time.. while taking pains to not miss, not hook yourself, not end up on the rail, and not get treetopped.

It's a tall order but if you do this level of work on every shot, you will be playing against every opponent the same way. And you will be winning more.

strokerace

"The Hustler"
Silver Member
I have had a problem with this in the past and still sometimes do, however, I have decided that it does not matter who I play. My job at the table is to get out and that is what I try to do. Does it always happen? No. Does it happen a lot more often now that I have decided not to think about the guy in the chair? Yes.

It has helped me on a lot of levels, especially with tougher players.

That said, when I play weaker players, and this will sound like a jerk thing to say, I always remind myself how much I hate them for wanting to beat me and strive to make them look like fools. I know what I sound like but it puts me in the mindset to play as hard as I can. Does it always work? No. Has it made me stronger on many occasions when it could have been easy for me to back off and drop my gaurd allowing myself to make mistakes? Yes it has. Just my 2 cents.

I agree..Killer attitude..play your best at all times..i like to beat them so bad
that they wont play me again..i have never Hustled anyone..i say i come to
play..and i dont even care if its a woman..without this mindset..your always
be average...so poke their brains out!!!

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
When I was still in B class and when I just moved up to A I had a terrible problem of winning sets against equal or better players and then losing to people that were ranked lower than me. Here in Japan there is no sandbagging so you know exactly who you are ranked higher than. If you move up a level you don't move back down so if you're not ready for it it will show real soon. Anyway, I used to lose matches to C players all the time and it drove me nuts. Then one day I just realized that I need to play a C player the same way I play an A player. I realized that more often than not if I'd miss a ball playing a C player I didn't really think much about it other than "eh, it's ok, I'll be back at the table and make up for it then." Next thing you know he's on the hill and you're suffering to make up for it. I don't totally agree with the "I'm better than him and I want to make him look like an idiot" mindset but whatever works for you then go for it. I get more in the mind of "Focus, don't let his play affect you. Don't fkk around when you get to the table" For myself, if I make it personal against the other person I usually find that I'm focusing more on making him lose than I am on making me win. Does that make sense? Anyway, you just have to play your game no matter who is at the table. That's another reason I don't get nervous up against players higher than me. Why should I? They can't do anything while I'm at the table and I can't do anything while they're at the table. All I can do is do my best and let whatever happens happen. You can't win every single match you get into. If you did there would be no reason to play.
MULLY

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a common complaint. People tend to let up when they play weaker opponents.

When I play 8b and 9b, my focus is 100% on running out. Sometimes that means I don't safe when I ought to, but basically what I'm trying to beat is the ghost. I don't care who just racked for me. When I get to the table I want it to absolutely be my last inning, and I try to make it my last inning and what's-his-face in the chair there has nothing to do with anything.

If you're an APA 6 you can run out of some racks I take it, so your goal is to increase the number of outs. The bottom line to getting there is plan smarter, slow down, and sweat all the details. If you can end up too straight on a ball, take pains to figure out how to avoid that. If you can end up on the rail, take pains to make sure it can't happen. Don't allow yourself to get jacked up over a ball either.

Make a plan of the entire out, be aware of which side of the ball you need to fall on, and make absolutely sure you're on the correct side of the ball every time.. while taking pains to not miss, not hook yourself, not end up on the rail, and not get treetopped.

It's a tall order but if you do this level of work on every shot, you will be playing against every opponent the same way. And you will be winning more.

Hmm... this sounds identical to what the higher level players I play have been saying. Thanks creedo

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was still in B class and when I just moved up to A I had a terrible problem of winning sets against equal or better players and then losing to people that were ranked lower than me. Here in Japan there is no sandbagging so you know exactly who you are ranked higher than. If you move up a level you don't move back down so if you're not ready for it it will show real soon. Anyway, I used to lose matches to C players all the time and it drove me nuts. Then one day I just realized that I need to play a C player the same way I play an A player. I realized that more often than not if I'd miss a ball playing a C player I didn't really think much about it other than "eh, it's ok, I'll be back at the table and make up for it then." Next thing you know he's on the hill and you're suffering to make up for it.

-snip- MULLY

I totally agree with this, as it has happened to me and I'm sure everyoen else on here. I have played many shots without much attention only to see the guy run the rest of the rack on me due to lucky shape, 4-rail bank miss that went in, etc...

If you play every shot (not just every game) the best you can, the ability of the other player won't matter one bit. The worst thing I do is play tough shots or tricky shape and get good, then miss the easy shots afterward because I let up.

There are some times where you can take your opponent's skill into consideration. For example in safety play, against a good player you want to leave em hidden with all kicks cut off. Now lets say that the way to do that is a bit dangerous, you may scratch in a near pocket or maybe be close to not hitting a rail, but you still try it to ensure a good result for you. Against a lower level opponent you may select to play a looser safety that has less risk for you but would leave them tough, just not locked up.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Play the table, period. The other guy is only there to tell you good game after you kick his butt.

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro players and pro teams in many sports have the same problem. Even with people in the workplace, many many of them work better when they have to meet a deadline. We need some external force get our adrenaline going.

If that's the type of player you are, I suggest you creating your own motivation, in the same way that Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant often created/s fictitious "bulletin board" material to motivate them. "Playing the table" is a fine suggestion but often it simply doesn't work. This is why many players think gambling improves your game. It is an external motivating factor that makes you focus more. Whatever it takes.

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
When I play 8b and 9b, my focus is 100% on running out. Sometimes that means I don't safe when I ought to, but basically what I'm trying to beat is the ghost. I don't care who just racked for me. When I get to the table I want it to absolutely be my last inning, and I try to make it my last inning .

While I agree with most of your post, I must take exception to this part. Focusing on running out can ultimately end up costing you a game. Your focus needs to be on winning the game. If it can be done in one inning, fine. But knowing when you are better off taking two or three innings, and playing to win makes more sense. I have played a lot of 8 ball where my opponenet tried to run out, but came up one or two balls short, leaving me with a very open table. That gives me a huge advantage. If I can run them out, that's good, but if I can't do it in one inning, a little bit of smart playing can insure that in the end, my opponent will be the one reaching for the rack for the next game.

Don't try to always out-shoot your opponent...but always try to out-play them.

Steve