playing with inside

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the biggest benefits is being able to be bring the cue ball off the object ball with little, to no, spin. That allows you to use angles off the rails that are more "natural" and predictable. Bringing the cue ball off the rail with no spin also helps you avoid "over spinning" the cue ball which causes it sometimes to get away from you.

Playing with TOI requires you to hit the shot "firmer" than most people who are "spinners" do. You have to let your stroke "move" the cue ball around the table rather than the "spin".

Once you have gotten used to (I'll avoid the word "master" because few people have ever "mastered" anything in pool) "stroking" the cue ball around the table with "less" spin, you will find yourself making "less" positional errors caused by a "loose" cue ball.

TOI is basically "center ball" with the ability to apply the "brakes" to the cue ball to keep it from "over spinning".

nice post, 'eye
I'm just getting the "inside" scoop
but so far, I'm diggin it
I get the hitting firmer thing..I like that
one thing I noticed awhile back in how often pros hit out on the ball
put a good stroke on it, when they could otherwise just finesse it
I'm guessing that's for accuracy/confidence's sake

re: inside specifically
I figure at the least, it's another tool in my belt
and with help from comments in this thread
it's a new way of looking at the game, in general
really cool

thanks again all:thumbup:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice post, 'eye
I'm just getting the "inside" scoop
but so far, I'm diggin it
I get the hitting firmer thing..I like that
one thing I noticed awhile back in how often pros hit out on the ball
put a good stroke on it, when they could otherwise just finesse it
I'm guessing that's for accuracy/confidence's sake

re: inside specifically
I figure at the least, it's another tool in my belt
and with help from comments in this thread
it's a new way of looking at the game, in general
really cool

thanks again all:thumbup:

The reason they hit the ball firm is to "keep it on line (and the cue ball)" and to keep from "babying the ball and their stroke". It is much easier to hit the ball firm most of the time and "kill" the cue ball than it is to try to slow roll or baby the ball. Keeping a similar firm stroke speed on most of your shots is easier to maintain than to try to slow roll one time, medium roll the next, and then hard the next time. That is too many variations and you get out of stroke. The same goes for "hitting all over the cue ball and using different variables of English on every other shot". Keeping it "simple" and doing "pretty much the same thing OVER and OVER is EASIER".

If you can keep your angles similar on your position playing, you can shoot pretty much the same shot over and over and over. The only thing that changes much is the length of the shot where you must up your "stroke speed" a bit.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason they hit the ball firm is to "keep it on line (and the cue ball)" and to keep from "babying the ball and their stroke". It is much easier to hit the ball firm most of the time and "kill" the cue ball than it is to try to slow roll or baby the ball. Keeping a similar firm stroke speed on most of your shots is easier to maintain than to try to slow roll one time, medium roll the next, and then hard the next time. That is too many variations and you get out of stroke. The same goes for "hitting all over the cue ball and using different variables of English on every other shot". Keeping it "simple" and doing "pretty much the same thing OVER and OVER is EASIER".

If you can keep your angles similar on your position playing, you can shoot pretty much the same shot over and over and over. The only thing that changes much is the length of the shot where you must up your "stroke speed" a bit.

thanks, makes sense..
kind of reminds me of how in any sport, some folks like the flashy player
but it's rarely the flashy player that ends up at the top
of course those that are, appear all the more impressive, and inspirational
so can I blame efren for my shoddy pool game yet:D

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks, makes sense..
kind of reminds me of how in any sport, some folks like the flashy player
but it's rarely the flashy player that ends up at the top
of course those that are, appear all the more impressive, and inspirational
so can I blame efren for my shoddy pool game yet:D

The reason a lot of "flashy" players are "flashy" is because they get out of line a lot and have to do "Hail Mary" shots to get back into line. They are good "shots" and have good eyes, but their cue ball control is lacking or they play poor patterns.

Watch Jose Parica videos. He was the Philippine champion before Efren was. He isn't flashy at all. He plays steady and simple and was one of the best players ever...especially for money.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reason a lot of "flashy" players are "flashy" is because they get out of line a lot and have to do "Hail Mary" shots to get back into line. They are good "shots" and have good eyes, but their cue ball control is lacking or they play poor patterns.

Watch Jose Parica videos. He was the Philippine champion before Efren was. He isn't flashy at all. He plays steady and simple and was one of the best players ever...especially for money.

Lets say a player is exceptionally flashy, what would your advice be to trade some of that "flash" for a little more "solid"?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets say a player is exceptionally flashy, what would your advice be to trade some of that "flash" for a little more "solid"?

I'd have to see them play before I could ever critique them. If they were "flashy" and running out like water they may be a "natural" and not need to change much of anything.

However, if they were "flashy" and played mediocre then I would try to analyze the reason(s) they played the way they did.

Some people are "flashy" because they think it looks good and they think they are impressing their opponent or anybody watching. The "flash" may look good, but if you are missing all the time then it isn't impressing me at all.

If that is the case, then you have to change their "attitude" before you can change their "game".

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd have to see them play before I could ever critique them. If they were "flashy" and running out like water they may be a "natural" and not need to change much of anything.

However, if they were "flashy" and played mediocre then I would try to analyze the reason(s) they played the way they did.

Some people are "flashy" because they think it looks good and they think they are impressing their opponent or anybody watching. The "flash" may look good, but if you are missing all the time then it isn't impressing me at all.

If that is the case, then you have to change their "attitude" before you can change their "game".

Nice response, thank you.

dafatman

Registered
I was told by a very knowledgeable and accomplished player that most right handed players have a swiping to the right motion at the end of their strokes. Check yourself and see what your tip does at the end of your stroke. This follows the "comfort zone" of bottom right for right handed players.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I was told by a very knowledgeable and accomplished player that most right handed players have a swiping to the right motion at the end of their strokes. Check yourself and see what your tip does at the end of your stroke. This follows the "comfort zone" of bottom right for right handed players.

I swipe a little right or left at the end depending on the shot. Not on every shot just the harder (power) ones I think. I’ve noticed great pool and snooker players doing it too though so I just figure I’m in good company, even if the rest of my game is...different :p

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make a ball when needed. That simple.

I just need to recognize when a tricky position shot is up and take my time, look at where I want to get, what the correct side to fall on. My PRS is all dedicated to my aiming system, I have started to have a P-PRS and I've been running out tougher racks.