Pocket Facing Thickness Question

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Any chance that you could post photos? I'm wondering if there may be a better alternative.
For some reason, I can't get my photos off of my phone to my computer that I like to use for online work.

Imagine the ugliest job possible for gluing on facing, with the cloth now discoloring due to the glue having come through it, with the lines of the facings obvious as a pimple on your nose and the balls spitting out like a luger in a covid patient.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
The factory ones on my olhausen just peeled off. I just cleaned the glue off by rubbing it. Cleaned the rubber with alcohol afterwards to prevent any skin oils from messing up adhesion. I cut the new facing rubbers a bit oversized, trimmed them carefully, leaving maybe 1/8" oversized. I used barge cement to attach the facings. I then flushed them up with a razor blade, then finished them with I think 120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a metal file. The sandpaper wrapped around the metal file works great, I think it was an older post by RKC that mentioned that.

I don't know if you would be able to re-use the cloth. I replaced the rail cloth. A lot of places will sell rail cloth only. My bed cloth was only like 6 months to a year old so I just kept the same cloth on the bed. I think rail cloth was around $60, but I may be a bit off on that. It's doable, but the most annoying part of the whole job is putting rail cloth on. IMO it's tedious but not hard to do, more annoying than anything.

Thanks, boog. Good info. there. Barge cement, eh? Never heard of it.

You know I have a small 8' Olhausen, too. The table is one of the most beautiful tables in the world, until I look at the cloth part.

I seriously considering getting a Diamond or Valley, anyway, but who could I sell my table to in its current condition?

I was hoping my last table redo a couple of years ago would be my last.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Any chance that you could post photos? I'm wondering if there may be a better alternative.

Thanks.

Hiring a good mechanic would do the trick, but where to find such folks? Once burnt, twice shy.

I'm a pretty good mechanic at most things, but I don't want to do it, as I'll take the time to do it right and I'll be out of a practice table for who knows how long. Besides, my wife is after me for household fixes.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm a pretty good mechanic at most things, but I don't want to do it, as I'll take the time to do it right and I'll be out of a practice table for who knows how long. Besides, my wife is after me for household fixes.
I understand this concern all too well. Fortunately for me, my home table was destroying my competitive game so dismantling it was literally the best thing I could do. Regardless of how long it will take to get it put back together...lol

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I assume that you mean replace the existing facings..
It can be done, provided that you use the same thickness facing (or thinner).
Additionally, you'll want to be sure not to remove the featherstrip, as that will make the job MUCH more difficult, though still not impossible.

If you wish to simply remove a second layer of facings, you could absolutely do that, quite easily.
And reinstall the same rail cloth, already trimmed?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
And reinstall the same rail cloth, already trimmed?
It's possible. Definitely easier on an Olhausen vs a table that has a cloth relief dado. I've re-stretched rail cloth a few times, fixing another installer's poor efforts.
I have only done one facing replacement, while reusing the existing rail cloth... I said that I wouldn't do it again, because it was such a hassle. But, it worked out alright. I left 5 of the 6 featherstrips in place. One was loose, and came out. However, I was able to use a bit of 3M 77 on the featherstrip, and attached the cloth to it, for the reinstallation. Not my preferred method, but the customer was trying to save cash, and I was nowhere near as busy as I am these days.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Man, there is a big ass market out there in need of services.

Jeff Livingston
Not to crap on the whole state of Iowa, there may be good mechanics here, but most mechanics I've seen are basically glorified cloth stretchers, and some of them don't even do that right. No way would I want the run of the mill local guy actually correcting anything on a table.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Not to crap on the whole state of Iowa, there may be good mechanics here, but most mechanics I've seen are basically glorified cloth stretchers, and some of them don't even do that right. No way would I want the run of the mill local guy actually correcting anything on a table.

No shit. I tried that route.

That's why I said there is a market out there for someone to capture.

Jeff Livingston

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Damn skippy... This is my problem as well. Unforunately I don't have the extra funds/option to ship to a real pro.