Pocket size

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 4.5 pro cut corners and I think the sides are 5 inches on my diamond. I would be ok going down to 4.25 corners 4.75 sides but that would be limit. Shelf depth and angles really make a difference also. I really don't think playing on super tight pockets makes you play any better in the long run. You have to play differently. YMMV.
That is true. And to cut the pockets or cheat the pockets, you've got to have 4.5" corners. At that dimension, the pocket can only be cut into 3, not 5 like on the wide open Billiard tables.

tomatoshooter

I definitely agree that the side pockets need to be decent sized. When they are too narrow they won't accept balls from a shallower angle. A couple of the places I play have tight side pockets and it does not improve the game at all. For my personal preference, 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 for the corners and 5" for the sides. I'm not a big fan of the deep shelf, balls hang up deep in the opening and the cue ball will catch a point, making position hard. At that point, I'd prefer if the pockets spit the balls out.

gbs52

Registered
Curious as if you told your table mechanic you wanted 4 1/2” corner pockets would he cut them larger for the 1/8” cushion end protectors?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is true. And to cut the pockets or cheat the pockets, you've got to have 4.5" corners. At that dimension, the pocket can only be cut into 3, not 5 like on the wide open Billiard tables.
If you shoot the object ball along it's own swath, there are no pocket segments; only the angle you need.