Pocket Size

JCL

Not sure about that. Who knows, but its hard to believe tables for this premiere event would be using improperly extended rails, using just shims or extra facing materials, etc.

Aside from the very tight 4.0” corner and 4.5” side mouths, the corner throats looked super tight from the overhead camera views on DAZN. Tight pockets with that aggressive of pocket facing angles really seemed to create much more rattle factor than we normally see at pro events.
I would think the same but what I just mention are facts, no rumors, just look at the the bounce in the tip of the cushion. DEAD

Last edited:

Rosco

Registered
A friend bought a set of rails for a Valley barbox.

They're sold as making the table play like a Diamond.
Makes 4 inch pockets.

When he was out of the room, I checked the pockets, using two balls to measure.
One hole was way bigger!

Later measuring with calipers revealed the pockets were from 3.88 to 4.19!
Peopled have bitched about the small hole, but never mentioned the big one.
I shoot at the big hole every chance I get, especially banks! :)

Yeah. he set it up himself.

JCL

A friend bought a set of rails for a Valley barbox.

They're sold as making the table play like a Diamond.
Makes 4 inch pockets.

When he was out of the room, I checked the pockets, using two balls to measure.
One hole was way bigger!

Later measuring with calipers revealed the pockets were from 3.88 to 4.19!
Peopled have bitched about the small hole, but never mentioned the big one.
I shoot at the big hole every chance I get, especially banks! :)

Yeah. he set it up himself.
What brand?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would think the same but what I just mention are facts, no rumors, just look at the the bounce in the tip of the cushion. DEAD
Any table will react the same. My table does and the rails were extended. The neoprene facing is harder than the cushion so when the point is hit, it will rebound less. I highly doubt Matchroom would cut corners on tightening up the table.

geoff_182

317726288_202372398835655_8273632365748606928_n.jpg

jee

Pool tourist
Would you say the pockets in Russian 8-ball are screwed up ?
Assuming that you're talking about Russian billiards (12' table, 2 ⅔'' balls) The pockets in Russian billiards are tight, but it is a different game with completely different mindset. Once learned, the game is not as difficult as it seems.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Class pool players should play on tough equipment. 4" corners are perfect. I think the sides should be a hair bigger though.

i agree. they have these tables for invitationals, so (in theory) the best of the best players play on them. dennis orcullo made them look like buckets in the world pool masters, and filler did the same when beating dennis, ko pin yi and lo ho sum for the title.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on this photo, they do appear to be at least 1/4” to 3/8” of pocket facings on each side of the pocket. Certainly not ideal for a tournament of this importance - no excuse for that.
How can you tell? Most of that could be wood and cushion with a 3/16” fiacing.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be over run from shimming the corners.
Doubt they were shimmed. It’s not the proper way to tighten the pockets. I’d be very surprised if Matchroom cut corners on the equipment. Everything else is top notch. I’m certain the table is too.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doubt they were shimmed. It’s not the proper way to tighten the pockets. I’d be very surprised if Matchroom cut corners on the equipment. Everything else is top notch. I’m certain the table is too.
The corners looked like they had a good 6/8ths "of rubber in there.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6/8”? LOL! You mean 3/4”? Pure speculation on your part. Show me some proof there’s 3/4” of facing material and I’ll buy it.
Funny I doubled the one 3/8 shim and came up 6/8ths. Getting old. Still correct though.
Play the video pause it and fullscreen it. Real good look at the falsies.

phreaticus

Maybe I got this wrong but if 2 balls won't go halfway into the jaws, doesn't that make the pocket smaller than 4.5" ?
Not sure what exactly you mean by “jaws”.

The terms widely used are mouth for the table side tits opening and the smaller inner region is the throat. The “pocket sizes” bantered around in all these threads are the mouth sizes. The side pocket pic shown earlier in the thread has two 2.25” balls side by side perfectly touching the mouth edges = 4.5”.