Poll regarding ball cleanliness

How do you maintain ball cleanliness?

• Total voters

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
sygfrid said:
You'll never go wrong with Aramith's Ball Cleaner since it's made specifically for Phenolic Balls. Just use microfiber cloths so as not to scratch the balls:)

Yes! I've been using micro-fibre cloths/towels for a few years now. The paint on my hot rod loves them. I spent way more money on microfibre than I should have looking for the ones I wanted. Ended up likeing the waffle weave for most jobs on the hot rod.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JimS said:
That's kinda what I figured on. I don't want to use anything that "coats" the balls.

My balls get little spots on them that resemble water spots and they are very difficult to remove. Any ideas what those are and how to remove them. I suspect it's chalk almost embedded from cue ball collisions? So now that I say that outloud maybe Slip Stic cue cleaner or Quick Clean for cloth cleaning would work?

Still looking for a good home-made design for a 16 ball electric cleaner.

You can't beat the Magic Eraser for getting embedded dirt out of nooks and crannies. The stuff works like it says - magic!

dwhite

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
qstroker said:
Hi. I thought I'd try a poll on something I was interested to find out.

I have two types of ball cleaners at home - a liquid wax, and a liquid cleaner (Aramith's cleaner). I use the mini buffer once in awhile, and not as often as I should. Based on comments in the past, I've avoided using the wax. I felt that it made the balls artificially slick, and others have noted how the wax rubs off and causes play to change quickly. I don't know how true this is.

Anyway, on the rare occasion I go out to the pool hall, the balls always seem to be waxed. Cue ball control is just so much more delicate, and often so much easier. Everything can be done with a lighter touch. Balls open up more easily on the break, and runouts are easier. Not that I'm running 1000 balls or anything, but it somehow seems almost like cheating, if that makes any sense.

So do you wax the balls, or just keep them clean? On the one hand it seems like cheating to use the wax because the balls open so much easier, but on the other hand if this is the normal ball treatment before tournaments, then this is what I should be practicing with.

Any comment?
thanks,
dwhite
i mostly play at home lately.maybe a couple times a month i wipe the balls off with a soft cloth.i don't allow eating in my pool room so there are no messes.i have never been in a pool hall that waxed their balls.i just don't think it is necessary..i am a clean freak BUT waxing cue balls is too much IMO..but i won't harp on anyone that does...do what you feel is right for you to be a better pool player...good luck..