Pool appealing to mainstream

coco9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there have been numerous threads and discussions on this topic but wanted to get peoples opinions.

If pool (and it is a big if) is going to boom again and appeal to more than just keen pool players then changes need to be made.

Absolutely essential is a shot clock, even as a huge pool fan I find myself getting bored watching most players.

Also I think the pockets should be 4.5inch and cloth should be thick and slow. pool looks so boring on tight fast tables where even the top players just play safe if they have a difficult shot on. The times when the cue ball does need to move around the table it doesn't take much of a stroke to do so. What makes pool better than snooker is the creativity of shot making and the power stroke old school players used. It is non existent anymore and pool is now boring to watch unless a game goes hill hill imo.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I know there have been numerous threads and discussions on this topic but wanted to get peoples opinions.

If pool (and it is a big if) is going to boom again and appeal to more than just keen pool players then changes need to be made.

Absolutely essential is a shot clock, even as a huge pool fan I find myself getting bored watching most players.

Also I think the pockets should be 4.5inch and cloth should be thick and slow. pool looks so boring on tight fast tables where even the top players just play safe if they have a difficult shot on. The times when the cue ball does need to move around the table it doesn't take much of a stroke to do so. What makes pool better than snooker is the creativity of shot making and the power stroke old school players used. It is non existent anymore and pool is now boring to watch unless a game goes hill hill imo.

How about doing that for the pros and higher ups and then making the amateur tables be fast and loose? That's kinda like the way golf courses are set up.

Jeff Livingston

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I don't think I agree with you. I think the game should be challenging with fast cloth and shimmed pockets. At my poolroom many of the pocket are double shimmed and one table is triple shimmed for one pocket. Challenges make you better if you have the passion. Passion is what is missing from the young players, the newbies, and that might be our fault for not passing it on. I try to introduce young people from work to the game by inviting them to the room I play in. There is a chance a new player might make some shots and get the bug. Just like it happened to you and I when we first started.

coco9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about doing that for the pros and higher ups and then making the amateur tables be fast and loose? That's kinda like the way golf courses are set up.

Jeff Livingston

Why would you make the amateur tables faster than the pros?

coco9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think I agree with you. I think the game should be challenging with fast cloth and shimmed pockets. At my poolroom many of the pocket are double shimmed and one table is triple shimmed for one pocket. Challenges make you better if you have the passion. Passion is what is missing from the young players, the newbies, and that might be our fault for not passing it on. I try to introduce young people from work to the game by inviting them to the room I play in. There is a chance a new player might make some shots and get the bug. Just like it happened to you and I when we first started.

I suppose is just my opinion but I find pool on fast tight tables boring to watch and not how the game was meant to be played. Ok maybe it makes the game easier and more players could win but is that a bad thing? I guarantee more often than not the top guys, shane, dennis, daz etc still come out on top!

Passion yes I agree but we need to appeal to wider audiences and fast n loose pool with big strokes and big packages done quickly is what will do that

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Why would you make the amateur tables faster than the pros?

So we amateurs can pretend we play somewhat like the pros do.

I used to golf and so many amateur golfers I played with thought they could compete with the pros. But we were playing on small courses with easy lay-ups, etc. that made it only seem like we were any good.

If I had to play on pro courses all the time, I'd have quit due to frustration before I had a chance to fall in love with the game.

Jeff Livingston

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Pro pool needs an org., a national tour, and teams from each part of the country of 2 for doubles play and/or 5 for a MC format. Anouncers need to make it exiting. Players need thier names known so fans can get behind a player or team. Pool has done nothing with one on one format. It's time to try the team format like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and other team sports. Johnnyt

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pro pool needs an org., a national tour, and teams from each part of the country of 2 for doubles play and/or 5 for a MC format. Anouncers need to make it exiting. Players need thier names known so fans can get behind a player or team. Pool has done nothing with one on one format. It's time to try the team format like baseball, football, basketball, hockey, and other team sports. Johnnyt

Johnny, different formats are fun but there is something to be said for mano y mano. I am a solid B player and there have been days where I have beaten A players. That's where the rush is for me. Pool is such a beautiful game exhibiting such finesse. when you get that newbie in and they hit that great shot or get that shape, all be it accidental, or that 3 ball run for the first time they will be hooked.

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree that it needs to be more watchable, and about the shot clock.

Disagree about the cloth and pockets. Tight and fast is the way to go.

The biggest problem in terms of watchability is that 9-ball is a break contest. Watching it devolves into seeing whether the wing ball goes in on the break and then going to get a beer as whoever gets the first shot on the 1 runs the table. One step in the right direction is to let the breaker shoot again even if a ball isn't pocketed on the break.

Also, you say pool is better than snooker, but snooker is the one cue sport that's managed to draw a mainstream audience. I think there are lessons there. One big lesson is that snooker looks hard even when pros play it.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is totally the wrong approach. Double and triple shimming pockets makes them play poorly. If you want to tighten up the pocket (which I don't think is necessary either), do it correctly by extending the rail, and leaving off the excess shims. At least then the pocket will play correctly...assuming it has been installed properly.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I think the game should be challenging with fast cloth and shimmed pockets. At my poolroom many of the pocket are double shimmed and one table is triple shimmed for one pocket .

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is totally the wrong approach. Double and triple shimming pockets makes them play poorly. If you want to tighten up the pocket (which I don't think is necessary either), do it correctly by extending the rail, and leaving off the excess shims. At least then the pocket will play correctly...assuming it has been installed properly.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Scott. The tables work for me. Shimming may not be the proper way to tighten the pockets. I am not a table mechanic. Incidentally our 14.1 tables are not shimmed but thanks for the enlightenment. Learn something new everyday.

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A prime time evening show where good looking pool pros team with random celebrities in a casual gambling for charity like show. Insert it in a bar scene with a bad ass house band atmosphere paired with a likable host and boom; good news for pool.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What makes you think pool will ever be "mainstream" when the public seems to like to watch rotting corpses walking around for entertainment?? For some reason, people seem to like watching zombies. Pool doesn't and shouldn't equate to that.

philly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What makes you think pool will ever be "mainstream" when the public seems to like to watch rotting corpses walking around for entertainment?? For some reason, people seem to like watching zombies. Pool doesn't and shouldn't equate to that.

P. T. Barnum said "No one ever lost a single dime underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member

With the exception of the shot clock, none of your suggestions would be noticeable/meaningful to a casual viewer.

In 2014, pool is not a spectator sport. You want pool to grow? Get people playing it.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member

There are two aspects to a "pool boom": the professional aspect (getting people to watch pro pool) and the individual aspect (getting people to play pool).

IMHO it's a waste of time and effort to focus on the professional aspect. Pool is not a spectator sport; it's too boring and no amount of equipment/rule changes is going to change that. We can't even get pool players to watch pros play when they're right there in the same pool room! The pocket size and cloth speed has nothing to do with the fact that they'd rather have fun with their friends than watch pros play.

But pool is fun to play. Focus on making pool a welcoming activity that seriously wants new people to enjoy the game (This is NOT accomplished by nagging people to gamble with you in a pool room and then insulting them when they say "no, I just like to play for fun.") I'd focus on building leagues for newer players. Focus the league play totally on having competitive fun; no cash prizes (cool trophy instead), no trips to Vegas, etc. You'll get a lot more people who just want to have fun with their friends once a week than you will who want to scam the rules so they can get a free trip.

Edit for additional thought on promoting pro pool: IMHO the only chance pro pool has of becoming mainstream is gambling. Legalize online betting and offer free, high-quality streams of top matches. Run it like the horse-racing industry. It's the only way you'll get non-players to watch it. But it doesn't work without legalized online betting, and I don't think we're going to see that anytime soon.

Last edited:

ineedaspot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are two aspects to a "pool boom": the professional aspect (getting people to watch pro pool) and the individual aspect (getting people to play pool).

IMHO it's a waste of time and effort to focus on the professional aspect. Pool is not a spectator sport; it's too boring and no amount of equipment/rule changes is going to change that. We can't even get pool players to watch pros play when they're right there in the same pool room! The pocket size and cloth speed has nothing to do with the fact that they'd rather have fun with their friends than watch pros play.

But pool is fun to play. Focus on making pool a welcoming activity that seriously wants new people to enjoy the game (This is NOT accomplished by nagging people to gamble with you in a pool room and then insulting them when they say "no, I just like to play for fun.") I'd focus on building leagues for newer players. Focus the league play totally on having competitive fun; no cash prizes (cool trophy instead), no trips to Vegas, etc. You'll get a lot more people who just want to have fun with their friends once a week than you will who want to scam the rules so they can get a free trip.

Edit for additional thought on promoting pro pool: IMHO the only chance pro pool has of becoming mainstream is gambling. Legalize online betting and offer free, high-quality streams of top matches. Run it like the horse-racing industry. It's the only way you'll get non-players to watch it. But it doesn't work without legalized online betting, and I don't think we're going to see that anytime soon.

I disagree that pool is boring to watch. A big counterexample is that snooker has a mainstream audience in the UK. Pro 9-ball is boring to watch, especially for non-players, because it becomes a breaking contest. But the right rules and table conditions can make pool (or cue sports generally) very exciting to watch.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I disagree that pool is boring to watch. A big counterexample is that snooker has a mainstream audience in the UK. Pro 9-ball is boring to watch, especially for non-players, because it becomes a breaking contest. But the right rules and table conditions can make pool (or cue sports generally) very exciting to watch.

But the UK is not the US. Just because something is popular over there, doesn't mean it should/will be popular here.

Also, the interest in snooker has been declining for some time now.