Pool Ball Collecting.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Messing around with some clear displays the wife got me for Christmas (thanks hun). They seem pretty stable so far only using the sticky back, they came with screws as well. Trying this option first...
856cfbfc089f1e6669fafd87c9305a65.jpg

Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. I fully agree with Rubik's. The bad thing about those sticky backs is that they work fine for a few weeks, months - maybe even 1 or 2 years. But suddenly they fall off. Had this happen too often with much lighter weights than 6 pool balls. I would definitely screw them to the wall.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, 8cree. 🙂

Cueballs are a fantastic niche of pool ball collecting, and definitely an area I would also like to expand in my own collection at some point.

Great work, dear chap. And thank you very much indeed for sharing your treasures on the thread.

Best wishes,

RC.

Ivanthesoso

Messing around with some clear displays the wife got me for Christmas (thanks hun). They seem pretty stable so far only using the sticky back, they came with screws as well. Trying this option first...
856cfbfc089f1e6669fafd87c9305a65.jpg
When we got our new home i didn't want any screw holes in the wall, so we used "Command" hooks...Nothing beats the sound of crashes in the night. We use screws now.

Ivanthesoso

I have just got in a set of balls, I would like help in identifying. The 4's are broken at the top, and the quality control on the fonts was not the most best. ie a fat 1 on the 10 ball....slightly misshapen 6...the 8's circle is just all....Over all in good shape with a few minor chips.

I found some similar sets that claim to be Albany/Hyatt's?

I also see a lot of polyester Super Pro's too.:LOL:
unknown balls2.jpg

Benelli

I have just got in a set of balls, I would like help in identifying. The 4's are broken at the top, and the quality control on the fonts was not the most best. ie a fat 1 on the 10 ball....slightly misshapen 6...the 8's circle is just all....Over all in good shape with a few minor chips.

I found some similar sets that claim to be Albany/Hyatt's?

I also see a lot of polyester Super Pro's too.:LOL:View attachment 739511
Most likely a very early Belgian set, probably late 60's early 70's when they were flooding the US market trying to drive Hyatt out of business.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Ivan.

You’re right about the number typeface being somewhat erratic to say the least, sir!

Mr B is probably correct, but to be honest there are so many inconsistencies I haven’t really got a clue.

Benelli

Hello, Ivan.

You’re right about the number typeface being somewhat erratic to say the least, sir!

Mr B is probably correct, but to be honest there are so many inconsistencies I haven’t really got a clue.
So I have been told stories from far older and wiser collectors than myself about how the European Ball makers we creating literal barrels of balls and shipping them in bulk to the states where they would be sold to anyone and everyone to package however they pleased. And in these heady days of unrestrained pool ball commerce, quality control on the Belgian side was almost non-existent because they were selling in bulk and trying to make it so no one would buy from Hyatt because they were too expensive.

The net result of this was Hyatt's quality control started to slip as they were trying to ramp up production while also cutting costs to fight back. But by then Belgians had captured so much market share and created unique demand for their product that they started ramping up quality control.

This signaled the end of Hyatt and soon the brand faded into obscurity...

Except for us collectors!

That's why I pegged these balls to be uniquely from the Belgian Barrel days which means they could have come from two or three different makers but were still part of that all-out war on Hyatt.

Also interestingly enough the Belgian makers were straight up trying to rip off Hyatt which is why the colors of those balls are so close to Hyatt sets from that time period. It was an all-out Ball-bath.... (see what I did there...)

Last edited:

Ivanthesoso

Hello, Ivan.

Hello Mr Rubik's

The best clue is the 4's with the gaps at the top, that's how I guessed Hyatt...

The seller seems to be sure about the item and it's estimated age range (1930-1940) and better informed than most...That being said I have informed quite a few of (innocent) sellers that the balls in the premium box were of far lesser quality. So I take anything said on Ebay with a grain of salt...basketball sized.

I bought the set for the wood rack, but if the set has value they go with rest of my hoard:)

Benelli

Hello Mr Rubik's

The best clue is the 4's with the gaps at the top, that's how I guessed Hyatt...

The seller seems to be sure about the item and it's estimated age range (1930-1940) and better informed than most...That being said I have informed quite a few of (innocent) sellers that the balls in the premium box were of far lesser quality. So I take anything said on Ebay with a grain of salt...basketball sized.

I bought the set for the wood rack, but if the set has value they go with rest of my hoard:)
Open fours were uniquely European

How appropriate that the very balls used to kill them are now being sold in their box...

Look at the two sixes side by side in that box, one is Hyatt the other Belgian!

Last edited:

Ivanthesoso

The six on the left I would say is the older, older than any others in either set. Looks like its almost 90, also it got in a fight with a ice-pick...
My six most resembles the one on the right.
My seven has a straight back compared to the curved one in the Ebay listing.
I would say the ebay 8-ball is from a third set.
All the rest match...

But hey even being barrel Aramiths its better than being Sportscrafts as the seller sold them(to me) as....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So I have been told stories from far older and wiser collectors than myself about how the European Ball makers we creating literal barrels of balls and shipping them in bulk to the states where they would be sold to anyone and everyone to package however they pleased. And in these heady days of unrestrained pool ball commerce, quality control on the Belgian side was almost non-existent because they were selling in bulk and trying to make it so no one would buy from Hyatt because they were too expensive.

The net result of this was Hyatt's quality control started to slip as they were trying to ramp up production while also cutting costs to fight back. But by then Belgians had captured so much market share and created unique demand for their product that they started ramping up quality control.

This signaled the end of Hyatt and soon the brand faded into obscurity...

Except for us collectors!

That's why I pegged these balls to be uniquely from the Belgian Barrel days which means they could have come from two or three different makers but were still part of that all-out war on Hyatt.

Also interestingly enough the Belgian makers were straight up trying to rip off Hyatt which is why the colors of those balls are so close to Hyatt sets from that time period. It was an all-out Ball-bath.... (see what I did there...)
Fascinating history….I recall the Belgian balls weren’t allowed to be used in an English championship until they threatened to sue.

Benelli

But hey even being barrel Aramiths its better than being Sportscrafts as the seller sold them(to me) as....
Well they're probably both at the same time.

I have a unopened box of Sportscrafts sold in 75 that are Belgian made balls roughly equivalent to Aramith premiums.

Similar to your set but closed fours and curves under the six and nine.

Remember they sold to any and everyone in an effort to break Hyatt!

Ivanthesoso

These have been featured here before, and when I saw them...Wow....Didn't think there was anyway of getting a set. Well look what popped up on Fleabay. NIB with the Walmart green price tag of $29.99 from back in the day, (that the seller felt the need to remove before shipping):mad:
fussion 3.jpg
fusion poolballs walmart sticker.jpg

Ivanthesoso

Well they're probably both at the same time.

I have a unopened box of Sportscrafts sold in 75 that are Belgian made balls roughly equivalent to Aramith premiums.

Similar to your set but closed fours and curves under the six and nine.

Remember they sold to any and everyone in an effort to break Hyatt!
I just assumed when I saw those era sets that they were knockoffs/mis boxed at best...well we know what happens when you assume:oops: