Pool Ball Collecting.

Ivanthesoso

IMHO, thems some FUGLY balls!
Overpaid for them at $29.99!!!
Accounting for inflation from mid 80's till now the price would be $84.93.
Buy it now cost was $34.75+shipping=Grand total of $54.52.
I plan on using these as a table display set, however according to Mr K2Kraze in post #832 they are quite capable at their intended function.
I can't find any information about this set

Well I,m wrong about the time frame...1980's had no www.
:(

Last edited:

RobM

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if you can help me identify a set of balls. I recently moved my grandfathers 110 year old table to my home from my fathers home. The balls were bought brand new in 1983 or 1984 when the table was moved to my dads house. My brother seems to remeber something about "Crystalate" but not sure. ( If my father were purchasing today he would probably buy Aramith Super Pro's or maybe Tournament's- He liked quality and would go for really good but maybe not go for the best...)
I've included photos of my baby(😊) and the balls.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!
Rob

Ball Rack 2.jpg
Table2.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Rob.

Truly beautiful table, sir!

Alas, I’m unable to help with a ball identification, dear chap. Sorry. It’s quite the mystery to me… rather unusual colours and number font.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if you can help me identify a set of balls. I recently moved my grandfathers 110 year old table to my home from my fathers home. The balls were bought brand new in 1983 or 1984 when the table was moved to my dads house. My brother seems to remeber something about "Crystalate" but not sure. ( If my father were purchasing today he would probably buy Aramith Super Pro's or maybe Tournament's- He liked quality and would go for really good but maybe not go for the best...)
I've included photos of my baby(😊) and the balls.
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!
Rob

View attachment 743320View attachment 743321
Wow that’s beautiful

RobM

Rubik,
Can you do it by elimination? In other words tell me they are not Aramith, X, Y, nor Z. Also have you ever heard of Crystalate balls?
Thanks again,
Rob

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello again, Rob.

Yes, sir, I am indeed familiar with Crystalate (and the later formula known as Super Crystalate) but couldn’t state with any authority whether or not your set was either of those unfortunately.

My personal opinion would be that the balls are not Aramith… the stripes in particular just don’t look like their style to my eye. To be honest, Rob, if it wasn’t for the straight underscores on the 6 and 9 and your own unimpeachable testimony going back to the 1980s, I would have probably leaned toward something much more modern.

All things considered, dear chap, if you really twisted my arm to make my best guess I would say EPCO from Massachusetts because I have seen them employ those rather unusual and distinctive colours before… but the truth is I just don’t know.

Best wishes.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Regards further elimination of other notable manufacturers active in the 1970s and 1980s… in my view, Rob, your set is also not from Raschig or Hyatt.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
EPCO also have a penchant for extending the sweep of their 3s and 5s, just as is present in your set.

Here is an example of that, dear chap…

full

Last edited:

RobM

Rubiks Cube,
Thank you for all the info!!! I'm still looking through my father's basement to see if I can find the box but no luck yet:(

On a happier note, I just picked up a set of Aramith Tournaments for a GREAT Deal!!! 239.00Euros (about $260. US dollars) from a company called Kozoom out of France. NO shipping, tax etc. DHL shipped to New York in 5 days!!! Can't wait to get home and try them out. I'm sure they will take me directly from rank amature to ranked #2 or 3 nationally over night:)

RobM

I just found this set online and think it my be the same.....
Box.jpg
label.jpg
Balls1.jpg
Balls2.jpg

Rubik's Cube, What do you think?? I polished mine up a lot and the colors are actually closer than my original photo shows them to be. I think the numbers look correct too.....

Benelli