Pool Ball Collecting.

Cantmakeaball

This unique 2.25" set was found recently as part of an estate sale and showed almost no previous play by impact marks or scuffs. The obligatory and original thin-walled cardboard box imprinted on every surface stating "Made In Belgium" shows signs of extensive travels and long storage upon a high dusty shelf or perhaps an attic.

They polished up nicely with each taking a few minutes in-hand along with a phenolic polish I like to use on these balls that have the numbers and stripes silk-screened upon the surface.

741c296a7e8fe6151190b6298bdf8b21.jpg

I'll edit this post later today when I get them back out for a weigh-in and let them run on the table so-to-speak.

K.

Update: weigh-in shows these are averaging right at 161g with a lighter cue ball at 157g. Switching out to another cueball with matching weight right at 161g and these play surprisingly well for what must have been a low-price offering back in the day being silk screened.

Something different anyway

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cantmakeaball

K2Kraze,

I recently acquired a set of these balls also. Do you have any information on the era from which they come and any idea of the value from a collectible perspective? Many thanks.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if I may please avail myself of the vast knowledge and experience of you ball collecting experts?

As I posted previously, I acquired a nice set of Brunswick Centennial balls, and cleaned them up. They looked great! Now, however, after just a little bit of use, they all develop spots on them. They are medium-sized spots, perhaps a couple of millimeters in diameter, and round. They look like they could be chalk marks, perhaps from falling into the ball collection box. We use gray chalk, so I thought it might be this. BUt, these spots are tenacious! The only way I can remove them, and restore the beauty of the balls, is with vigorous polishing with Aramith ball cleaner.

What could this be? Thank you in advance!

p.s. if pictures would help, I will try to take some, but I suspect it may be tough to capture.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wonder if I may please avail myself of the vast knowledge and experience of you ball collecting experts?

As I posted previously, I acquired a nice set of Brunswick Centennial balls, and cleaned them up. They looked great! Now, however, after just a little bit of use, they all develop spots on them. They are medium-sized spots, perhaps a couple of millimeters in diameter, and round. They look like they could be chalk marks, perhaps from falling into the ball collection box. We use gray chalk, so I thought it might be this. BUt, these spots are tenacious! The only way I can remove them, and restore the beauty of the balls, is with vigorous polishing with Aramith ball cleaner.

What could this be? Thank you in advance!

p.s. if pictures would help, I will try to take some, but I suspect it may be tough to capture.
If the spots are exactly round, they may be from ball-to-ball contact. Clean them up and shoot a bunch of 15-ball combinations without pocketing any ball and see if you get the spots on all the balls. If so, the surfaces are screwed up. Always put the 1 ball in front so it is the only one that might get chalk transfer.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the spots are exactly round, they may be from ball-to-ball contact. Clean them up and shoot a bunch of 15-ball combinations without pocketing any ball and see if you get the spots on all the balls. If so, the surfaces are screwed up. Always put the 1 ball in front so it is the only one that might get chalk transfer.
Thanks Bob.

Just so I understand, you mean line up all fifteen in a row, and then stroke the one ball with the cue; and do this repeatedly without pocketing any? I can try that.

They are Brunswick Centennial balls. In what way could the surfaces be screwed up?

Thanks,

jv

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a quick question for the collectors in this thread. Are the balls from tournaments auctioned off by the promoters after the event? For example, what happened to the balls used for play during Mosconi Cup 2020? Or after the US Open or DCC?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a quick question for the collectors in this thread. Are the balls from tournaments auctioned off by the promoters after the event? For example, what happened to the balls used for play during Mosconi Cup 2020? Or after the US Open or DCC?
It varies by event. Sometimes they are auctioned or sold, sometimes used in other events, sometimes given to volunteer workers, ....

The balls for the DCC I think were normally used for other events for which Diamond provided the tables. A special case was the first Matchroom US Open 9-Ball, for which the sponsor's balls (Aramith) were late when a truck was misplaced. (This was Easter weekend, I believe.) Diamond, which provided the tables for the event, had the foresight to bring 30+ sets of balls (Cyclop) for the tables, just in case. The Aramiths showed up about the second day. There was a fair amount of discussion during the event about the change. The Aramiths may have gone to the many local players who volunteered to staff the event.

alocker

Registered
3D technology made its debut and brought to the world through photography by David Brewster 175 years ago......which is a perfect segue to share a unique ball set from my collection showcasing 3D numbers on each ball. Without fail, everyone playing these for the first time picks up a ball and marvels at the simple effect.

What do you think....

59e2f1d17d8fba070426fdcca6cd3fdc.jpg

Amazing and perfect colors everyone will recognize. Fine details under magnification. Perfect roll tests, and good play characteristics, that clean up easily with minimal efforts I’ve described in this thread.

44fcbd59e23925f8af337baf3b7befc0.jpg

Always something new

~ K.
Good Morning All!
Does anyone know were I can buy a set of these 3d balls? I'm know they were available on Ebay but all my funds were going into finishing my basement pool room at the time. Now it's complete and I cannot find any of these for sale. Any help is greatly appreciated.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I spotted a few sets on aliexpress that I didn't see elsewhere in the thread:

View attachment 583673

I've have almost been tempted in the past to buy that set as they are so unique. I wonder if they play decent, either way they are super unique.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
HOPEFULLY someone has an extra US FLAG 8 Ball for sale?
I'll even take a donated one. :rolleyes:
Something like (but not exactly) the pix shown.

Attachments

• 8 ball us flag.png
    8 ball us flag.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 90

bfriesth

Bolder
Silver Member
Good Morning All!
Does anyone know were I can buy a set of these 3d balls? I'm know they were available on Ebay but all my funds were going into finishing my basement pool room at the time. Now it's complete and I cannot find any of these for sale. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I found my set on Mr. Billiards out of Canada but it was over a year ago. They were advertised with the name of Walleys.. I paid $150.

mrpiper

Registered
I started 19 years ago with a set of Brunswick Centennials. I'm not a big collector but here are a few sets that have managed to find their way to my house through the years...
Classic Centennials (Blue and White Box)
Centennials.jpg

Royal Poker Pool in Lucite Box
Poker Pool.jpg

Aramith Disney Mickey and Minnie
Disney.jpg

Elephant Beautiful
Elephant Balls.jpg

Vigma Stars and Stripes
USA.jpg

Assorted "Crazy 8's"
Crazy 8's.jpg

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
mrpiper, That's quite an assortment you've amassed there.

I have a question about those 8-balls. Did it come as a set, or did you have to compile them from different sets?

It's a good set to practice with for someone suffering from "money ball" anxiety.

This balls thread is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for posting them.

mrpiper

Registered
mrpiper, That's quite an assortment you've amassed there.

I have a question about those 8-balls. Did it come as a set, or did you have to compile them from different sets?

It's a good set to practice with for someone suffering from "money ball" anxiety.

This balls thread is one of my favorite threads. Thanks for posting them.
Hi JessEm,

You nailed it friend. I collected these over time. I started just colleting if I saw something fun that I wanted, and after 5 or 6, I decided to proactively make a set. Most came from either the big "Auction" site, or from online retailers. The cool stars and stripes ball I got from the guy who sold me a whole set of those and had extra eight balls. I actually have about 7 or 8 other 8 balls not in the pic but the ones pictured are my favorites, and the ones I use to play with as a set. While I don't particularly have 8 ball anxiety, I saw it as an opportunity to finish with consistency and confidence every time I am lined up with the last ball. I still actually have 1 extra of the stars and stripes balls if you know anyone who gets this bug! :)

We also play some fun games with all 8's.

We call one game "Crazy 8's" where the gold ball is the money ball. Each player chooses a side of the table. Once 7 balls are in pockets on your side (whether pocketed intentionally by you, or accidentally by your opponent) you can go for the golden 8 for the win. We play variations where the 8 must be pocketed on your side, or your opponents side, and we decide that before the game starts. Another version is to play where the 8 can only go in a side pocket, or occasionally, we play where the 8 can only be pocketed as a bank shot off the rail.

Another game we call "Around the World" where the pockets are numbered 1 through 6 with the number 1 pocket being on the left at the head of the table. Each successive ball must go into only the next pocket, and you go around and around the table. Again, the LAST ball has to be the gold 8 and whoever hits it into the final hole wins. The final hole will change if one or more balls are made on the break, so it's not always certain that the number 3 hole is the final hole, but after the break you can determine the final hole by the number of balls on the table. That is important because sometimes we also play with a "Kicker" where the game can be won ANY time by pocketing the golden 8 via combination or bank shot into what will be the final hole for an early win.

We also play "Rebound" where every shot can go in any pocket, but ALL shots must either be a combination or a bank shot and the golden 8 wins.

Finally, a family favorite we call "All Eight Up" where we replace the cue ball with a 16th 8 ball. 2 to 4 can play.. After the break, ANY 8 on the table can be chosen as the cue for your turn. During your turn, ONLY that 8 can be your cue and you try to get any ball into any pocket. 1 point for each ball pocketed and 5 points for the last golden 8, and play to 50 or 100.

If you have any other fun alternative games you, or anyone who reads this likes to play, please post and also message me about it. I am always looking for ways to keep the table fun and interesting to friends and family.

Last edited:

mrpiper

Registered
I like K2's fault and your balls ... don't take me too literally :)
I bought the scrabble balls because the seller on the big auction site accepted my offer of $40 with free shipping! I figured if I played with them just a couple of hours it was less than 2 movie tickets! (How's that for rationalizing my disorder? 😃) BTW there is one more set available right now with your name on it LOL