Pool Ball Collecting.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am convinced this is the most rare set of the modern era. Predator Arcos. NOT Arcos II. Not sure how, but one just came available on the big auction site...
I’m curious to see what these bring. I paid $400 for my never been hit set a few years ago.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m curious to see what these bring. I paid $400 for my never been hit set a few years ago.
I need to ask you a question. Is there any place on the box or on the little advertisement inside the box that clearly states that the balls are made of phenolic resin?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to ask you a question. Is there any place on the box or on the little advertisement inside the box that clearly states that the balls are made of phenolic resin?
No Sir. They are, however, unmistakably phenolic.

52632305912_c51684cafa_h.jpg

52633307038_e0d9d9882f_h.jpg

52633074239_308ce33e92_h.jpg

52633083224_f60184501d_h.jpg

It is also worth pointing out the other Cosmos sets I have in my collection are of the same quality, design and roughly the same weight as the Arcos I. These boxes do have the term Phenolic Billiard Balls on the box.

Cosmos Diamond Ultra C
41177435274_0dad8418f3_h.jpg

28024953798_5b8a940840_h.jpg

Olhausen Signature
40456620895_820103c81e_h.jpg

40456629435_d74b90101d_h.jpg

40456633525_e64c96011a_h.jpg

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much. Is the Olhausen ball also the Diamond Ball?

Also, what year was the Arcos 1 introduced?

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much. Is the Olhausen ball also the Diamond Ball?

Also, what year was the Arcos 1 introduced?
The Olhausen set cue ball has no markings on it.

I'm not sure on the date of the Arcos I. It's important to note that these were never made available for sale to the public and my understanding is not very many were produced.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Olhausen set cue ball has no markings on it.

I'm not sure on the date of the Arcos I. It's important to note that these were never made available for sale to the public and my understanding is not very many were produced.
The darts and the fonts look virtually identical on the Olhausen balls and the Cosmos Diamond balls. The Diamond balls I see on the internet are TV balls, though, and the Olhausens are not. Maybe they are proprietary, which would make sense.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The darts and the fonts look virtually identical on the Olhausen balls and the Cosmos Diamond balls. The Diamond balls I see on the internet are TV balls, though, and the Olhausens are not. Maybe they are proprietary, which would make sense.
I see to recall seening a set of the Cosmos Diamonds in standard colors. I had a hard time buying these. I had to befriend a seller from Korea on Facebook to acquire the set as I could not source an online seller for them. That may or may not have changed now. I also believe Olhausen doesn't offer the Olhausen Signature ball set any longer.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentlemen,

1. Does anyone own a set of Meucci pocket balls?
2. Does anybody know where they came from and what they were made of?

Sanctuary much,

Boxcar

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@Boxcar
This old thread might answer your question..

Thank you VERY much. Everything I wanted is right there. I really appreciate it!

Boxcar

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish they would have incorporated the Aramith logo as one of the measles. To my eye, it looks off being stuck in the middle; almost an afterthought.
I was shooting with the black dot cue ball yesterday, and everytime the aramith logo happened to lay in a way which it was in my line of sight for my next shot , I found it slightly distracting . Nothing major , but the placement of the logo does indeed seem like a fill in, in time Ill get used to it.

The logo wouldve done better as 1 of the measles as you stated *Rexus.
Another idea that would be cool, would be to have all the measles on the cue ball aramith logos, instead of the plain dots.

In regards to the arcos cue ball that MrPiper mentioned, Ive found as of late the arcos 2 set has been the set Im liking the most , not due to the aesthetics, but rather the roll is very true and for whatever reason I dont encounter as much skid with them.

Last edited:

bigsjohn99

A mysterious small group of ball set offerings recently showed up on ebay this past few weeks from a highly regarded and reputable seller of vintage items - with the listing showing an original shipping label from the Hyatt Ball Company to a newspaper company. Ongoing communications with the seller will hopefully lead down the path of discovery and just how these few sets of identical balls in identical boxes to a VA newspaper came to be. One plausible theory is they were sample balls showcasing what Hyatt could produce for clients interested in promotional balls or complete sets.

Here they are:

d31c670b96d2f4e881d70c25e209006a.plist
beb453866a0f14f45f4c1924c5b5f311.plist
a407c9ad43f71a19c61ef4de24a72fae.jpg

One last photo once they were pulled from the box and shot on my table with an iPhone 11 Pro Max. Untouched or enhanced of course...

9d4070f192e99b17c4491b24bbf3fdd7.jpg

Reminds me of a fitting quote from Winston Churchill:

“....it’s a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma...”

More to come as we unwrap this riddle.

~ K
Sorry to reply to such an ancient post. Does anyone have the user name of the ebay seller mentioned in this post?
It's a long story...I had won an auction for a set of these balls, and had them shipped to a shipping/receiving place I use for purchases in the US. (I'm a Canadian in a border town, and it saves me about $50 shipping every time). As the balls were in transit, covid shut the borders down, so I couldn't go to pick them up. The place I use for packages assured their Canadian customers that any packages would be held safely until things got worked out. Fast forward to the end of covid over a year later, the package place doesn't have my package. At this point I assumed they either lost it or some prick from the package place was enjoying my irreplaceable collectors quality balls on some garage pool table with tipless cues. I had let it go, because it was partly my fault for not handling it sooner. But I have recently learned that back then the USPS had started enforcing an old rule that prohibited businesses from receiving packages on behalf of others without some paperwork. So my balls had been returned to the seller as soon as they arrived at the local post office.
I obviously don't really expect anything if I can find him, but it would be nice to know why he didn't try to contact me or refund my money when he got the balls back.
Any info from you guys that also bought gumballs would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else could you guys post some more pics of them so that I may enjoy them vicariously. Thanks.