Pool cues on flights

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
What are suggestions for getting one pool cue going with a person, on a flight? Want to make sure it’s well taken care of. TIA

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My constant advice on traveling with a cue, if situation suits it, bring a non-main playing cue along with a 2nd or 3rd favorite shaft for travel. It's not a great chance of luggage getting lost, but even a small chance of losing a custom cue or something you are fond of is not really worth it if you have backup equipment. Only time I bring my main cue along is when I'm driving. Even if you don't have a second cue, buy a cheap thing that matches the pin of the shafts, McDermott Lucky cues make great travel cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My constant advice on traveling with a cue, if situation suits it, bring a non-main playing cue along with a 2nd or 3rd favorite shaft for travel. It's not a great chance of luggage getting lost, but even a small chance of losing a custom cue or something you are fond of is not really worth it if you have backup equipment. Only time I bring my main cue along is when I'm driving. Even if you don't have a second cue, buy a cheap thing that matches the pin of the shafts, McDermott Lucky cues make great travel cues.
Good tip. Why risk a hi-dollar cue when a 100buck sneaky will work.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Here in the US, pool cues are not allowed onboard planes since 9/11. Only as checked luggage. if you are flying. If you know someone who boast they were able to bring their cues onboard a US flight, it means TSA or airline staff weren't doing their job. Empty cue cases are allowed onboard, just not cues.

As checked luggage, a rolling sports duffle bag like those for baseball bats and catcher's gear worked for me. You can pack a whole team's worth of cues. If you're worried about the bag getting lost, add an Air Tag or Tile Tracker. Some of the suitcases, you can pack the cues and cue case diagnonally.

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_145545742.jpg
    PXL_20220219_145545742.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 78

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading a long time ago about putting a starters pistol in you luggage AND legally disclosing it is there. The suitcase then gets very special treatment and is very unlikely to be opened or tampered with by any airline handlers...Perhaps it is not worth the hassle but it sounded semi reasonable to me at the time...

I do know of a former pro here in NC that had a Schon that he used for over twenty years. He had flown numerous times with it in a checked bag with no issues. Then it happened his bag showed up with no pool cue in it. He went through hell trying to find that cue and even offered a large reward to anyone with no questions asked, all to no avail... At the same time I know of a member here that flies worldwide with a SW with ivory inlays and has never had an issue for many, many years..

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember reading a long time ago about putting a starters pistol in you luggage AND legally disclosing it is there. The suitcase then gets very special treatment and is very unlikely to be opened or tampered with by any airline handlers...Perhaps it is not worth the hassle but it sounded semi reasonable to me at the time...

I do know of a former pro here in NC that had a Schon that he used for over twenty years. He had flown numerous times with it in a checked bag with no issues. Then it happened his bag showed up with no pool cue in it. He went through hell trying to find that cue and even offered a large reward to anyone with no questions asked, all to no avail... At the same time I know of a member here that flies worldwide with a SW with ivory inlays and has never had an issue for many, many years..

The issue with cues in luggage is probably less with it being damaged but more with the thing just getting lost on the trip. I have been traveling quite a bit with my son on trips to Jr Nationals and league trips as well as for work, and had luggage with cues lost twice, but never had anything damaged. I think unless one is going to a show and needs the cue, or is going to a once in a lifetime event and really wants their main cue, traveling with a backup you don't mind losing much is the safest way. There is not too much difference between playing with a $100 butt and a $2,000 butt as long as you have a shaft you are OK with.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2008 I checked my instroke case from Nashville to Seattle. It was fine.

The same flight had about six guitars in the cabin. Guitars make excellent weapons in three ways:. As clubs, garroting wire, and being poorly played by guys with bad voices and man buns.
Can't do it now.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2008 I checked my instroke case from Nashville to Seattle. It was fine.

The same flight had about six guitars in the cabin. Guitars make excellent weapons in three ways:. As clubs, garroting wire, and being poorly played by guys with bad voices and man buns.
Better have a stout case. Couple friends had cues in Instrokes in the past and they got snapped like twigs. Baggage handlers/loaders are morons. Plastic tube in a carry-on duffle works better imo.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Porper Travel bag. Cheap TSA approved combo lock. I put a 2 x 2 case inside the travel bag. Even though the outer bag is locked on the zippers, I tag the inner case with a claim sticker in the slim chance it falls out.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'd be afraid of theft. Wouldn't trust them with a package. I'd just take 100$ sneaky.
That's why I have an Air Tag and Tile tracker in my cue case. $60 for both gives me some peace of mind.

I understand your concern. That's why I only bring a Franklin era SW shaft, on a tribute butt.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
people are violent on airplanes, someone could bop you on the head with a pool cue. we shouldnt have to risk that.

that's why i like to sit next to an old guy with one of the allowed heavy metal canes to protect me, or the old lady with foot long knitting needles that are also allowed.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
I'm flying now with a 2x2 cheap case with a Lucasi and a sneaky Pete. I barely was able to fit the cue case into my suitcase.

Many thanks to those in this thread as I left my custom and break cue at home due to your advice. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Reactions: bbb

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard you can tape it to your leg and claim it is a prosthetic.

Tuff to pull off in shorts or hairy legs.