Pool fads?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speed pool? I remember seeing it on tv once or twice about 15 years ago.

OneHandedBreak

No handed breaks too
About ten years ago I was banging some balls around in a beach bar with a friend when a very cute and equally petit little Philippina gal approached and asked us if we wanted to see a demonstration of the "Shifty Bridge" in action. She proceeded to slide one of these over her shaft and start draining shots with a long reach. Being short it certainly seemed to work well for her, but I can't say I've ever seen one since.

screen-grab- 2022-07-06 at 11.55.38 AM.png

RWB3X-L.png

By the way, I considered starting another thread named "Pool fails" but I decided that wouldn't be fair to the company.

Joe P.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About ten years ago I was banging some balls around in a beach bar with a friend when a very cute and equally petit little Philippina gal approached and asked us if we wanted to see a demonstration of the "Shifty Bridge" in action. She proceeded to slide one of these over her shaft and start draining shots with a long reach. Being short it certainly seemed to work well for her, but I can't say I've ever seen one since.

View attachment 649619

View attachment 649620

By the way, I considered starting another thread named "Pool fails" but I decided that wouldn't be fair to the company.
My father's friend in South Carolina makes these. They're perfect for kids learning to play...my 4 year old granddaughter uses one. A few other juniors locally have them as well. There is a 6 year old that plays in a few of the local in-house leagues down there as well who uses one. They're actually pretty cool and very well constructed. Can find them on a few billiards supply sites

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Have people given up on mid-cue extensions?
I have not. But I was also late to the mid cue extension party. I finally broke down and got one after about 100 people telling me I needed a longer cue, my rear 2 or 3 fingers were always wrapped around the butt of the cue. I didnt like the feel of the standard 4" extension (at least I think thats what they are) so I had my local cue guy build a 2 1/2" extension for me.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.

View attachment 649619

View attachment 649620

They're great for people that have physical troubles. One handed players, wheelchair players, arthritis, palsy etc. Great product, glad to see them around.

Tahoedirt

Tahoedirt
Inspired by another thread, I started thinking about wether I've seen any short term fads in pool (that very wildly popular for a short while, then disappeared)? I'm not talking about cue/equipment brands , more maybe special cue types, accessories etc. Truth is, I can't really think of any off the top of my head. Anyone remember some? Am I forgetting something obvious?
Here’s one you could ask- I’m right handed and chalk w my left.
How many play & chalk right and right ?

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 649619

View attachment 649620

I saw something similar years ago for someone who didn’t have a full left arm.

I remember it looking a bit different. But same idea.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 649619

View attachment 649620

I think most of these products were used by players that have limited use of the bridge hand rather than replacing an actual bridge. Although it's an interesting idea for that also. Issue is that many times you are using a bridge in limited space with other balls around or shooting over the top of a ball, and this rolling bridge is just about useless for that. But I bet many one handed players do have something like this, ah... handy, to use.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
straight pool? a fad?

I think now you may think of it as such since it fell out of favor pretty heavily to 9,10 and 8 ball as being one of the main game players played. I would not call it a fad but a bit like stick shift cars you don't see it much anymore. What would be something that is popular for a long time but is no longer so? Not really a fad, not sure if there is another good word for it. Obsolete maybe? Outdated? Not in vogue? None of those quite fit a still known and somewhat popular game just not among the general public.

Guy Manges

Registered
Limbsaver, went on the back of your cue to kill vibration. I remember I tried a cue that had it on there, made it feel really weird. I think Grady was a spokesperson for them.

Another one that I actually liked quite a bit was the Liquid weight cues, those have a very unique feel to them that I did like, and were inexpensive. Don't see much about them and they are still around although I have not seen one used in person in a pool hall.
Do you have a liquid weight cue and do you use it ? Also did you send the cue in for installation or did you buy one of their cues ? Guy

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I guess the liquid weight might act as that metal powder or whatever is inside recoilless hammers? I don't know what you call these in the US. It's a hammer that doesnt' bounce back?

Guy Manges

Registered
many players have used CF shafts and gone back to maple................ I am one of them.........................
CF shafts are just a fad................ they play differently and not better................. it's all in the entrepreneurship
Kim
Don't they play much like graphite only for much much more money... Sure would be hard on some of the bangers to see them come on market for maybe 50 too 100. Dollars... Guy