Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth

bstroud

Deceased
It's hard to explain to people that have never done it, but Hustling on the Road in the 60's and 70's was a great experience. How do you describe the anticipation of going into a pool room in a new town with all new players and nobody knows you.

You might have some advanced info that you traded with other Road Players but it was usually sketchy at best. Mostly you were on your own. You learned to adjust immediately to the conditions. You always checked for another exit just in case you needed it.

Some of my experiences were Priceless.

I was visiting a girlfriend in North East MD, staying with her parents (they weren't too happy) and I left one night to go to a bar down the street.

Started playing 9 ball on the bar table with a guy that played really well. I finally got him loser and when the bar closed he said there was a pool room nearby that was open 24 hours. He wanted to meet me there. I said OK and drove to the pool room in Wilmington DE. It was a little further than he said.

We started playing on the big table and I broke him quickly. Several other players jumped up and I broke them also.

A Black player (Atlantic City Herbie) asked to play some one pocket. I charged him $1000.

Then Phil asked to match up. He apparently was a High better. I ended up giving him 5 pockets to 1 and the 8 playing 9 ball. We started out for $50 a game and ended up playing for $350 a game. I won a lot. We played for 16 hours. My hands and feet were both swelled up.

When I got back to my girls home it was late the next day. Everyone was concerned but all I wanted to do was sleep. My girl asked if it was worth it and I started emptying my pockets onto the bed. Every pocket was filled with money. Mostly $100 bills. I asked Marsha "What do You think?"

Two days latter I went back to the pool room and Miserack was there waiting. Goose, his stake horse was with him. We started playing even 9 ball for $200. a game. It was hot and after 5 or so hours he sent someone to the store to buy him some shorts. We played over 8 hours and broke even. I was ahead most of the time but just wore out.

Later that week Miz and I played some one pocket. I robbed him and he never let me forget it. Always asking for weight whenever we crossed paths. Great guy to play with. Never complained.

Bill S.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to explain to people that have never done it, but Hustling on the Road in the 60's and 70's was a great experience. How do you describe the anticipation of going into a pool room in a new town with all new players and nobody knows you.

You might have some advanced info that you traded with other Road Players but it was usually sketchy at best. Mostly you were on your own. You learned to adjust immediately to the conditions. You always checked for another exit just in case you needed it.

Some of my experiences were Priceless.

I was visiting a girlfriend in North East MD, staying with her parents (they weren't too happy) and I left one night to go to a bar down the street.

Started playing 9 ball on the bar table with a guy that played really well. I finally got him loser and when the bar closed he said there was a pool room nearby that was open 24 hours. He wanted to meet me there. I said OK and drove to the pool room in Wilmington DE. It was a little further than he said.

We started playing on the big table and I broke him quickly. Several other players jumped up and I broke them also.

A Black player (Atlantic City Herbie) asked to play some one pocket. I charged him $1000.

Then Phil asked to match up. He apparently was a High better. I ended up giving him 5 pockets to 1 and the 8 playing 9 ball. We started out for $50 a game and ended up playing for $350 a game. I won a lot. We played for 16 hours. My hands and feet were both swelled up.

When I got back to my girls home it was late the next day. Everyone was concerned but all I wanted to do was sleep. My girl asked if it was worth it and I started emptying my pockets onto the bed. Every pocket was filled with money. Mostly $100 bills. I asked Marsha "What do You think?"

Two days latter I went back to the pool room and Miserack was there waiting. Goose, his stake horse was with him. We started playing even 9 ball for $200. a game. It was hot and after 5 or so hours he sent someone to the store to buy him some shorts. We played over 8 hours and broke even. I was ahead most of the time but just wore out.

Later that week Miz and I played some one pocket. I robbed him and he never let me forget it. Always asking for weight whenever we crossed paths. Great guy to play with. Never complained.

Bill S.

Great story! Thanks.

bstroud

Deceased
Traveling on the Road wasn't always a bed of roses but it was always interesting.

Early on Marsha and I decided to leave Aspen where we were living and take a short trip to San Francisco. Were headed to Bozeman MT first because I had heard there was action there. We took off in her VW with my dog Josh, a large Old English Sheep dog. He had the rear seat.

Somewhere on the way we got hit with a Blizzard. Living in CO we were used to snow but this was way more than just snow. It was a complete whiteout. We didn't know where we were and couldn't see 2 feet. We got the car off the road and both piled into the rear seat with the dog to stay warm. We made it thru the night and continued in the morning.

As it happened we just missed the action in Bozeman.

In SF I went into Cockrans expecting no one would recognize me. As soon as I go in the door A pool smart named Alabama motioned me outside. We met downstairs at the back entrance. He told me about a bar spot just around the corner call the "Round Table".

I got Marsha and we went to the bar. It was filled with Pimps and working girls.
I parked Marsha at the bar and went to the only bar table where there was a ring 9 ball game going on. It was five handed so I waited for someone to drop out and asked to get in. They were playing for $20 a man.

I was pretty good winner when a fight broke out at the other end of the bar. I could see it spreading along the bar but I was busy running out. By the time I got to the 9 ball some guy had another guy by the head and was beating his head on the pocket of the pool table where I was preparing to shoot the game 9 ball.

I never flinched, just shot in the 9 and collected $80. Marsha's stool had been knocked over but she was fine. A real tropper.

Marsha lives in Amarillo now and we still talk occasionally after all these years. She and my wife Barb are friends.

Bill S.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Traveling on the Road wasn't always a bed of roses but it was always interesting.

Early on Marsha and I decided to leave Aspen where we were living and take a short trip to San Francisco. Were headed to Bozeman MT first because I had heard there was action there. We took off in her VW with my dog Josh, a large Old English Sheep dog. He had the rear seat.

Somewhere on the way we got hit with a Blizzard. Living in CO we were used to snow but this was way more than just snow. It was a complete whiteout. We didn't know where we were and couldn't see 2 feet. We got the car off the road and both piled into the rear seat with the dog to stay warm. We made it thru the night and continued in the morning.

As it happened we just missed the action in Bozeman.

In SF I went into Cockrans expecting no one would recognize me. As soon as I go in the door A pool smart named Alabama motioned me outside. We met downstairs at the back entrance. He told me about a bar spot just around the corner call the "Round Table".

I got Marsha and we went to the bar. It was filled with Pimps and working girls.
I parked Marsha at the bar and went to the only bar table where there was a ring 9 ball game going on. It was five handed so I waited for someone to drop out and asked to get in. They were playing for $20 a man.

I was pretty good winner when a fight broke out at the other end of the bar. I could see it spreading along the bar but I was busy running out. By the time I got to the 9 ball some guy had another guy by the head and was beating his head on the pocket of the pool table where I was preparing to shoot the game 9 ball.

I never flinched, just shot in the 9 and collected $80. Marsha's stool had been knocked over but she was fine. A real tropper.

Marsha lives in Amarillo now and we still talk occasionally after all these years. She and my wife Barb are friends.

Bill S.

C'mon Bill, in all seriousness. Book book book book book!

game7808

Registered
Great post.
>One place I have to disagree with Game, today's second level players are much better.
Maybe I just need to find a better place to play