Pool Hustlers, Tell us the Truth

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what we can do.
First we can find some of those 5 inch pockets and then, and then,and then...........
We can hitch up a victrola, listen to Bing Crosby records, drink Hadacol, and read the Saturday Evening Post.
:grin::grin::grin:
View attachment 507914

I prefer Zep, The Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc.
Good job of deflecting BTW.
Also, the avg. pocket size was 4 5/8 to 4 3/4. Add to that pool balls that were 'dead'
compared to todays equipment. Wool cloth was much slower than current cloth.
Corey Deuels 'soft break' would leave 3-5 balls in the rack !
Its also a shame that someone has turned pool into bowling !
Well, got to go, Bings on singing white christmas !

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it is different now

As it seems from what I read here' all of the hustlers just try to trick some poor
unsuspecting recreational player into playing to get another fix. If the hustler
starts to win you don't have to pay because you were deceived. One thing
for sure, the players of years ago didn't spend any time trying to get some
nit to play,and even the nits that did lose weren't crybabies. They understood
that they didn't have to play. There is not a good player that ever lived that
hasn't been trapped and lost their money. It's what the game is. Smarten up
or get busted, either way,quit whining..
jack

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As it seems from what I read here' all of the hustlers just try to trick some poor
unsuspecting recreational player into playing to get another fix. If the hustler
starts to win you don't have to pay because you were deceived. One thing
for sure, the players of years ago didn't spend any time trying to get some
nit to play,and even the nits that did lose weren't crybabies. They understood
that they didn't have to play. There is not a good player that ever lived that
hasn't been trapped and lost their money. It's what the game is. Smarten up
or get busted, either way,quit whining..
jack

YEA ! What he said ! lol

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think of the Filipino players in the same way as the players of the past

Traveling ,playing action games and playing in tournaments on occasion

How many player actually make $100,000 after expenses or even before expenses

I don't know anything about the intelligent,investment wise ,health nuts

I honestly don't even know if thats true

I really don't know much about instructors either,
I have heard Scott Lee's name but if he played Billy Stroud some one pocket
before Billy is 80 years old I would bet on Billy

Now I think that would be interesting

No offense meant to Scott,I am sure he takes care of his health,and watches his investments closely,
but if Billy is healthy enough to play I would like to bet

wouldn't that be fun?

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
FuManchu,obviously DOES know what he's talking about. We all know how to
spot them a mile away, but your average recreational player has no idea until
it's too late. "We started out just playing for a Nugrape soda and before I new it
he had wiped us out,even jr.'s college fund.If only he had seen the old reruns
of I love Lucy, or Dick Van Dyke, with the pool hustler episodes The scumbag
on the Dick Van Dyke show even beat Rob at his house.
Slicked back greasy hair, dirty finger nails on cigarette stained fingers,
pointed toe shoes, long sleeve shirts, even if it's a 100 degrees ( hide the
track marks ). Did that description hit a nerve Mr. Stroud, You've been outed
Mr. So go find another way to finance your next fix and leave the decent pool
players alone.
jack

Damn straight, Jack, you tell 'em! Those g**damn guys like Bill Stroud... next thing you know, he'll be making cues people still talk about 100 years from now, and THEN where the hell will we be? Well... ok, come to think of it, 100 years from now we'll be dead. But that's another story... I just wish all these "hustlers" would stop trashing people they know nothing about and just let the bangers bang, the nits nit and the know-it-alls know it all, for God's sake. I mean, have some g**damed common decency. Know-it-alls have feeling too.

Climbs down off the soapbox.

Damn... I thought I would feel better after that but actually, I just feel depressed. I'd go knock some around but then I'd be *really* depressed. I wish pool wasn't such a downer, what with all those rude-a** hustlers out there trying to steal my money in between fixes. I'm thinking about taking up volleyball. Hopefully there's no hustlers in volleyball.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Damn... I thought I would feel better after that but actually, I just feel depressed. I'd go knock some around but then I'd be *really* depressed. I wish pool wasn't such a downer, what with all those rude-a** hustlers out there trying to steal my money in between fixes. I'm thinking about taking up volleyball. Hopefully there's no hustlers in volleyball.

If you’re going to be a serious volley ball hustler, Michael.....
...be very particular what kind of sand you compete on....
...sometimes those pirates make sure the sand on your side is very fine...
...you have trouble getting purchase with your feet and get to the ball late.....
...so if their side has coarser sand, you’re broke....:eek:

And of course, some scumbags will deflate the ball......

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
And be wary of getting sand in your Speedo. Very irritating. Start taking mild pain meds, before you know it, strung out on fentanyl.

Life is not a beach.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
If you’re going to be a serious volley ball hustler, Michael.....
...be very particular what kind of sand you compete on....
...sometimes those pirates make sure the sand on your side is very fine...
...you have trouble getting purchase with your feet and get to the ball late.....
...so if their side has coarser sand, you’re broke....:eek:

And of course, some scumbags will deflate the ball......

Oh, that's just great, PT, thanks, dude... Aight. That's it. I'm gonna just shoot myself.

But, before I do, I'm gonna at least give volleyball a quick shot. But, and I mean this... if someone tries to hustle me for their next fix or the fix 3 weeks down the road? I'm walkin' right off that sand and I ain't payin' nobody a DIME. They can just TRY to beat it outta *me*! I'll hit 'em with my g**damn shoe! HOMEY DON PLAY DAT!!! :mad: :bash:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
And be wary of getting sand in your Speedo. Very irritating. Start taking mild pain meds, before you know it, strung out on fentanyl.

Life is not a beach.

Don't be telling me what to do with my speedo...

And, I'll have you know, I've been taking fentanyl 10 times a day for 5 years now. I can quit anytime I want. I already quit 10 times a day.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Damn straight, Jack, you tell 'em! Those g**damn guys like Bill Stroud... next thing you know, he'll be making cues people still talk about 100 years from now, and THEN where the hell will we be? Well... ok, come to think of it, 100 years from now we'll be dead. But that's another story... I just wish all these "hustlers" would stop trashing people they know nothing about and just let the bangers bang, the nits nit and the know-it-alls know it all, for God's sake. I mean, have some g**damed common decency. Know-it-alls have feeling too.

What was true in the 'old' days is still true today...'You can't hustle someone who doesn't want to beat you out of your money' ! It always take two to make a game.
Good luck with volleyball !

bstroud

Deceased
Busy looking for all the Modern pool players with Real Estate Empires and PHDs.

Might be a score there somewhere?

Bill S.

Michael Andros

Silver Member

What was true in the 'old' days is still true today...'You can't hustle someone who doesn't want to beat you out of your money' ! It always take two to make a game.
Good luck with volleyball !

Thanks GS! I was thinking all this over last night and so now, I'm thinking of recreating volleyball, using a cue. It'll kinda be like Bruce Lee playing ping pong with nunchucks. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA ) That way, I can justify all the freakin' $$$ I've spent on cues! I'm thinking it'll make it to ESPN! :grin: :grin: :grin:

I wanna take somebody's money!

Last edited:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Busy looking for all the Modern pool players with Real Estate Empires and PHDs.

Might be a score there somewhere?

Bill S.

Bill - You could beat 'em outta their framed PHD degree and put it up on Ebay. I'm guessing you'll get at least twenty, maybe twenty five dollars for it. That should at least cover a good part of the time. :grin:

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you honestly and truly believe that all the stuff you just posted is something the rest of those in the pool world with any age on them don't already know about??????????
That's old news, dead and gone. GONE WITH THE WIND....forever. Along with most players and 'sacred cows' who chose to live it. And the ones left are close to dying themselves.
There's a new breed out there.....they play better than you or any of those old road agents. Times have changed. Most pool players are still living in the past, cutting up jackpots about the big scores in Chicago, Detroit, and Johnston City from 50 years ago.
The new breed manages and invests. They buy property. They're not happy living in dump hotels, getting gum disease from smoking, or being addicted to booze. They hit the gym and try to diet properly. Good looking women like 'em. They laugh at "fat bellies" as losers.
Thank the good Lord for these changes in a wonderful game called pool.
Living in the past...man oh man.

For all I know you could be right about this, but that is a MIGHTY broad brush you are painting with. Why do you think you can speak for this elusive "new breed"? How are you so in tune that you know their eating habits and whether they indulge in smoke or booze?

This new breed:
Wasn't too long ago that a current top player had an ugly episode regarding a stolen SUV and hiring someone to rough up a big money fish in Vegas?

Wasn't it also fairly recent that a current world ranked player got drunk in a bar and grabbed another player by the balls, thus getting punched in the jaw?

Wasn't a recent "fat bellied loser" as you like to call them, qualified for the MC until a failed drug test?

Wasn't it pretty recently that another top player was called out for having a significant other who was maybe a little young for many peoples tastes?

Heck one of this countries best 1 pocket players is a long way from 6 pack abs. That does not make him a bad person. It does not do anything to damage pool's image. Nor does the former snooker player-turned pool juggernaut from across the pond who could be considered "portly"

I guess I am just not as familiar with this white collar, Ivy League new breed. I'll take pool and pool players with all their faults and larger than life stories and personalities.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jokrswylde...Ignorance is bliss. Low500 has no clue...but he thinks he talks a good game! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

For all I know you could be right about this, but that is a MIGHTY broad brush you are painting with. Why do you think you can speak for this elusive "new breed"? How are you so in tune that you know their eating habits and whether they indulge in smoke or booze?

This new breed:
Wasn't too long ago that a current top player had an ugly episode regarding a stolen SUV and hiring someone to rough up a big money fish in Vegas?

Wasn't it also fairly recent that a current world ranked player got drunk in a bar and grabbed another player by the balls, thus getting punched in the jaw?

Wasn't a recent "fat bellied loser" as you like to call them, qualified for the MC until a failed drug test?

Wasn't it pretty recently that another top player was called out for having a significant other who was maybe a little young for many peoples tastes?

Heck one of this countries best 1 pocket players is a long way from 6 pack abs. That does not make him a bad person. It does not do anything to damage pool's image. Nor does the former snooker player-turned pool juggernaut from across the pond who could be considered "portly"

I guess I am just not as familiar with this white collar, Ivy League new breed. I'll take pool and pool players with all their faults and larger than life stories and personalities.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah sure Dean! LMAO! Fun for whom? I'd bet on Billy too! You want me to match up even with a stone cold killer, playing maybe his best game? That's pretty funny. I'm on record saying I'm no champion player...and never claimed to be. I do claim to be a damn good instructor...at least from what my students and peers tell me.

Tell ya what...I'll take 8-2 and the breaks, and try him some cheap! I'll probably still get robbed...but I'll try him some, just for your entertainment! You'll be side-betting, right?

Scott Lee

No offense meant to Scott,I am sure he takes care of his health,and watches his investments closely, but if Billy is healthy enough to play I would like to bet

wouldn't that be fun?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most of the top instructors know how to play 1-hole, but don't specialize in teaching it. One PBIA instructor does...Lance Cowles, Cuesports of Battle Creek MI. Lance could probably make a fair game with Billy, and THAT would be fun to watch! Lance will be at the DCC next month, if you want to try to set something up Dean! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

No offense meant to Scott,I am sure he takes care of his health,and watches his investments closely, but if Billy is healthy enough to play I would like to bet

wouldn't that be fun?

bstroud

Deceased
Scott,

Thanks for the complement but 8 to 2 might be a bid much.

I remember how you used to play and can only hope you have taught yourself as well as others.

DCC is a bit far for me (I hate flying nowadays) but I will be in PHX for the winter.

10 ball is actually the game I prefer to play. Get to shoot a lot of balls.
Hate one foul. Don't play it anymore.

Bill S.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's 8-2 and THE BREAKS Sir! LOL Yeah, but do you remember that last cue you made for me (my first box cue, and your first CNC cue)? What a beauty back in '83! The design for that cue was on a sheet of notebook paper that I drew up in 1972, and made my first pilgrimage to your house in Aspen! I couldn't afford it then, but you made it for my 30th BD many years later. Remember too, I kept that cue and sold my Balabushka in '91 to buy an APA franchise?

Rotation games are waaaay different than 1-pkt Bill! But we can make a game. In 9ball, CJ offered me the "blue through", and Shannon says he can give me the 3-out! What's your offer for 10ball? I get to Phoenix...now and then!

Scott Lee

Scott,

Thanks for the complement but 8 to 2 might be a bit much.

I remember how you used to play and can only hope you have taught yourself as well as others.

DCC is a bit far for me (I hate flying nowadays) but I will be in PHX for the winter.

10 ball is actually the game I prefer to play. Get to shoot a lot of balls.
Hate one foul. Don't play it anymore.

Bill S.

Last edited: