Pool Knowledge: What's the last thing you learned?

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Last thing I learned was, to keep my mouth shut after my wife's shots in league. I wasn't real good at it early on this year and let's just say I learned my lesson.

Integrate others' actions, as you demonstrated here...lol.

and

Control emotions.

Those two get a player quite a ways, no matter his skill level.

Jeff Livingston

NevadaP

I've been playing and have been passionate about pool for over 60 years. I took lessons from a pro less than a year ago (first time taking lessons). It opened a whole new world. I'm still working on correcting all the flaws in my stance and stroke. I'm really enjoying seeing my game finally improve to a new level as I incorporate all the things the Pro showed me.
Biggest single thing is probably a consistent stroke and follow through.

Having a lot of fun now.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things I have been working on. First, playing straight pool (and many games) the center of the table is your friend. Allows for many options if you do not land "perfect". Second, the 1/2 ball hit is your friend as well. Can play many different positional routes, and it is an easy aiming point.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Invest $75 in the book "Play Great Pool" by Mark Wilson. Read the book twice. Then video three practice sessions a week for six months straight to understand what you are doing correct and incorrect. Review each video session prior to your next practice session. Incorporate the changes that you make from your practice into competitive pool sessions. Within six months of this disciplined approach you could be a 20% better player at minimum.
After six months, re- read the book again, confirm any changes that you have made in the first six months, make sure they are permanent changes, now look for any other areas to incorporate into your game, continue the video practice and review sessions. After one full year of this I am a 25% better player than anytime in my life and I am 68. I can hang with any 600 rated player today.

His co-author used to post here. This guy has such discipline, for sure. He's a doctor, but he's also a good guitar player and he put that on the back burner to learn pool. I watched him take lessons from Danny Di. He knows how to learn.

I haven't read the book, so not doing specific analysis here, just saying what the co-author brings to the table.

Jeff Livingston

Reactions: Pin

dchan320

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heard keeping still is good fundamentals. For years, I just accepted that I have reduced movements as much as possible, but oh well - move on.

After watching shortstop Bob's vision center video, now I try to lower into my stance while maintaining focus on the OB. Eyes can simply look down at CB without head movement. Once I lower to a level where the OB begins to lose vision focus, I stop. It felt strange/different thinking I've got a stance like Mike Massey. In actuality, my stance is still relatively low, just not what I'm used to. Guess only time will tell.

Previously, my habit was stand/aim/shot line while looking at OB, then get into stance with eyes mainly on CB. As a result, I can't really see the OB clearly and need to raise/tilt my head up... then tilt back down to look at CB during warm up. Not all shots happen this way, just most of them.

Anyways, this is the last thing I learned - still working on it when I can. Last local tournament I played didn't win a game, but happy to know I kept still most of the time. :whistle:

-Doug

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
This may seem odd, but i recently learned i shoot better 100% sober. I typically have one or two beers. Not much over 5 hours of shooting and alot of water.

A friend recently had a dui and i decided to stop drinking for a while in support of him going to AA. I have been playing at my higher gear more often since cutting out those 2 beers.

This surprised me. Never thought 2 beers would adversely affect my game.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may seem odd, but i recently learned i shoot better 100% sober. I typically have one or two beers. Not much over 5 hours of shooting and alot of water.

A friend recently had a dui and i decided to stop drinking for a while in support of him going to AA. I have been playing at my higher gear more often since cutting out those 2 beers.

Maybe now you're going to play pool instead of going to drink a few beers and play pool?

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Maybe now you're going to play pool instead of going to drink a few beers and play pool?
Ha, always been pool first, drinks second for me. I just never though 2 drinks over 5 hours would affect my game. Since it is always pool first, easy choice for me to not have a drink and see if this trend continues. Consistently better shooting for 2 months.

Ps i still have the occasional drink at home. Just testing no drinking when playing.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really can't say I have learned anything because I know it all already. ;)

But seriously.......a few years ago I discovered stroking through the cue ball got me more everything. :cool:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ha, always been pool first, drinks second for me. I just never though 2 drinks over 5 hours would affect my game. Since it is always pool first, easy choice for me to not have a drink and see if this trend continues. Consistently better shooting for 2 months.

Ps i still have the occasional drink at home. Just testing no drinking when playing.

I wouldn't think a couple of drinks over that period would affect you either. I've only drank a handful of times when playing any sort of competitive pool and I've never noticed it affecting me then.

I'm just wondering if is due to with a heightened senses/awareness because you're now more focused?

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last thing I learned was why a pause in the stroke helps.

That being said, for the life of me I cannot incorporate a pause in my stroke (totally throws off my rhythm) but, when I'm in stroke - I have a pause? Weirdest thing ever.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i know all i need to know for what i want to do.

but i do need constantly to re-learn that i dont want to try to do more than i can do on a shot.

NevadaP

LOL. I always marveled at the guys who claimed they shot their best pool after several or more drinks. While this may be true for a small group, I really doubt that it holds true for many. I know my game clearly suffers after only one or two drinks.
I'll have cocktails with friends and family while playing, and that's all fine. But if I'm playing seriously and want to be at my best, I won't have drinks. Two completely different activities.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know all i need to know for what i want to do.

but i do need constantly to re-learn that i dont want to try to do more than i can do on a shot.

That's kind of where I'm at and why it was so hard to figure out the last thing I learned. I'm happy with my play and have no desire to be a world beater.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to be quiet
I learned that about my 3rd night on the rail in 1985.

“Sorry I didn’t see anything”

Never get involved in a game that your not involved in.

That was a long time ago.

More recently was talking to Mike Sigel and he said something that really really hit home:

“Everything changes”

That was the last thing I learned

Fatboy

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I've learned that follow through, is just as important prior the stroke delivery, as it is, to the end of the stroke delivery. Thanks Steve Miz
I've learned the easiest way to stay down on a shot, and after the shot , is to send the cue ball with your eyes, not your head. Thanks Jack Colavita
I learned these many years ago, I'm bored.

Reactions: bbb

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've learned that follow through, is just as important prior the stroke delivery, as it is, to the end of the stroke delivery. Thanks Steve Miz
I've learned the easiest way to stay down on a shot, and after the shot , is to send the cue ball with your eyes, not your head. Thanks Jack Colavita
I learned these many years ago, I'm bored.
Not exactly sure what that means but if Miz said it I'd like to understand.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday, fixed my ''walk up'' to the shot and my weight thru the shot, took about a yr, why? because after quitting to raise my daughters, the game took a back seat, but Now/yesterday, I had a hard time quitting why?.
Game jumped a ball, and I remember now Why they called me Bigfoot, had my foot work wrong, and I do have big feet, I'm 6 6.
Pros Never stop learning....I'm finally glad I've put in my time.
But such a blanket statement you made I found wrong.
I also competed in Olympic time trials, and I've learned, learning Never stops, unless the man in the mirror has all the answers, she did and I left.
Why the game is so awesome. The more you know, the harder it gets.
Anyone that thinks the Pro's think they have everything under control????
Haven't studied anything about this.

Foolish thinking.

Why hasn't there been 2000 balls run in 14:1. That's perfection.

Nobody can be perfect.

But we try. And we learn something. Rinse and repeat.