POOL: Little Epiphanies...

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Getting better at pool is about having little epiphanies...

They can come from many different sources but almost always are realized at the table.

Some people might say "Duh, where else are they gonna be realized?"

That's not what I mean by that though.

The information and the realization are different. You may get the information from an instructional DVD, a casual conversation with another player, an interview with a pro on a stream, or even just from experimenting on the table.

You may have gotten the information years ago and then BAM!!! you do something on the table and you realize THAT'S WHAT HE MEANT!!!!

The game is about little epiphanies, little understandings and realizations building on each other.

People may hear others say, "You've gotta put in the time", "You gotta practice" and that IS true.

As I've said many times, there are NO really great players that I know that at one time or another didn't live, sleep, eat and breath pool for extended periods.

For many that's not enough though. All of us probably knows some APA 4 or 5 that has been playing for 30 years and has never gotten better.

Are they at their peak? Is it possible for them to improve?

The answer is probably yes to them being able to improve and substantially improve at that.

Will they? Not doing what they have been and probably not.

That's more because they are too set in their ways to get those little epiphanies that leads them to the next level than because they are at their peak potential.

Not all epiphanies and understandings are created equal either and because they build on each other, you may discover one little thing that doesn't appear to help you much, but then 6 months or two years later, you realize something else that makes the first thing click and makes you immediately two balls better.

This game at the highest levels is about having knowledge. Not just any knowledge or knowledge about pool. PERSONAL knowledge.

Yes, you have to gain knowledge about pool, but the most important knowledge that you need to get is that personal knowledge about what works best for you personally.

The only way to do that is to gain as much knowledge as possible and work and practice with that knowledge, because only doing that can you get to the truly important knowledge and self discovery about what works best for you.

That piece of knowledge that you ignore because of hocus pocus, or pool secret or whatever can't possibly work, may be the trigger that helps you understand all that other knowledge that you've gained and puts you on the next path of greatness for YOU...

Jaden

Willi Makaball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree with you, there have been times I was showed things that did not make sense, yet later it all seemed so natural,
I look at some players in leagues and tourney players that have a few good days, and keep running the same horse in the race, But when someone shows them something new they look, listen, then go back to what they were doing.
The other day a one pocket player took some time and showed me a shot, I worked that shot for and hour, until it was right, what I was most proud of his compliment, That I shot it better than him,, Now if I had just wasted his time and mine, and said oh that's great and went back to shooting balls, I don't think he would ever help me again.
Thing is I see this all the time, people take a lesson, and go home, Now If I just spent time and money to learn a new technique, after the lesson I couls at least put a half hour to working it. My 2 cents

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They can come from many different sources but almost always are realized at the table.

The information and the realization are different. You may get the information from an instructional DVD, a casual conversation with another player, an interview with a pro on a stream, or even just from experimenting on the table.

You may have gotten the information years ago and then BAM!!! you do something on the table and you realize THAT'S WHAT HE MEANT!!!!

The game is about little epiphanies, little understandings and realizations building on each other.

People may hear others say, "You've gotta put in the time", "You gotta practice" and that IS true.

As I've said many times, there are NO really great players that I know that at one time or another didn't live, sleep, eat and breath pool for extended periods.

For many that's not enough though. All of us probably knows some APA 4 or 5 that has been playing for 30 years and has never gotten better.

The answer is probably yes to them being able to improve and substantially improve at that.

That's more because they are too set in their ways to get those little epiphanies that leads them to the next level than because they are at their peak potential.

Not all epiphanies and understandings are created equal either and because they build on each other, you may discover one little thing that doesn't appear to help you much, but then 6 months or two years later, you realize something else that makes the first thing click and makes you immediately two balls better.

This game at the highest levels is about having knowledge. Not just any knowledge or knowledge about pool. PERSONAL knowledge.

Yes, you have to gain knowledge about pool, but the most important knowledge that you need to get is that personal knowledge about what works best for you personally.

The only way to do that is to gain as much knowledge as possible and work and practice with that knowledge, because only doing that can you get to the truly important knowledge and self discovery about what works best for you.

That piece of knowledge that you ignore because of hocus pocus, or pool secret or whatever can't possibly work, may be the trigger that helps you understand all that other knowledge that you've gained and puts you on the next path of greatness for YOU...

Jaden

I completely agree with this. My most recent epiphany has been to finally understand/break through with holding the cue without any squeeze. It is still shocking to me how much movement, especially drawing the ball, I can cause by not squeezing my grip. I knew this intellectually, but I finally experienced it at the table.

Now, having said that, I think it is very easy to let old ways reemerge and prevail, and very hard to see (experience) the light and then, ho-hum, consistently do it right. So, the epiphany must be followed by discipline and focus in staying with the new way. But boy, those epiphanies are fun to experience!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
yes, expecially under pressure or when competing..

I completely agree with this. My most recent epiphany has been to finally understand/break through with holding the cue without any squeeze. It is still shocking to me how much movement, especially drawing the ball, I can cause by not squeezing my grip. I knew this intellectually, but I finally experienced it at the table.

Now, having said that, I think it is very easy to let old ways reemerge and prevail, and very hard to see (experience) the light and then, ho-hum, consistently do it right. So, the epiphany must be followed by discipline and focus in staying with the new way. But boy, those epiphanies are fun to experience!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! especially when competing or when under pressure. Watch Mike Dechaine, even he does it. On clutch shots, he'll jump up or force the cue through the ball.

The biggest problem with that tendency (the tendency to tighten up, jump up, fall back on old bad habits in general) is that you DON'T always miss when you do those things(although even if you don't miss, you'll typically not get the correct position/action on the cue ball), so it's difficult to realize you're doing them.

I think the final level (when you got the glow) is realizing what you need to focus on when shooting those clutch shots to not fall back on those bad habits.

Jaden

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
It's easy to confuse the two...

I thought I had an epiphany once, but it was just indigestion....

Those two things are easily confused...When you're not sure look in the mirror, if you look confused, it's indigestion...

Jaden

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good post! My most recent epiphany came from messing around with throwing the object ball with cueball English. I never realized how useful it could be.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Very good post, tap tap tap. I will let you into a little secret. Get a good instructor who can help to turn your information to realization. Just took my first lesson from a world class instructor and he made me realize what this fuss about good mechanics is all about. :D

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Do you remember the context???

@ JADEN - please tell me AGAIN, what you told me when you were here?

Unfortunately, I have no idea what it was that I said?

I've said so many things to so many people, it's all a blur any more...

Jaden

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member

Jaden

Great post Jaden. This is so true. This is the essence of improving. As you said, it most often comes at the table and it is usually, something that clicks in a fraction of a second. Pieces of the puzzle. The more you experience them, the better you can manipulate the pieces into not only your physical execution but your mental conception of shots. And this is why I say .. experiment. Good post!!!!!

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
The final Epiphany is KISS.

Keep It Simple Silly (or Stupid).
1 Learn the basics. Stance, Bridge, Grip, Stroke, Head Eye Alignment, Aiming.
2 Practice until each is second nature.
3 Learn ball pocketing.
4 Learn ball mechanics.
5 Learn cue ball control both direction and speed.
6 Learn ball and table patterns.
7 Learn kicks and banks.
8 Learn and perfect a pre-shot routine.

Then KISS.
Trust your stroke and make the ball.
Don't let all your extra knowledge get in the way of making the ball.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
My most recent epiphany is that I'm a sucker: I read your entire post, waiting for the revelation that would change my game...it never came.

:grin::grin::grin:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
This is very true. The longer I play this game (going over 30 years now) the more I realize how little I really know. Just when I think I've got this game figured out, I come across a new technique or a shot I really didn't think would be useful and a whole new dimension to the game reveals itself. If you don't experiment with new techniques or try something off the wall, you'll never move much farther than where you are now. It's been said Efren loves watching bangers play; he sees them try nutso flyers and files away those that are successful, logging in the path and english in his mind to try later. Good players figure they know what they need to know to win...Great players know better and work to find that new tool that gets them to the next level.

The longer you play with an open mind, the more epiphanies you'll have, I promise you. :)

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
My issue is I forget all my epiphanies in a few weeks or months and then have to find them all over again. I have a terrible memory and my game suffers from it.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden

Very good post Jaden. A good instructor can put one on the right path. But, it is up to the student to take what he learned and make it his own and build on it.

CT06010

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The final Epiphany is KISS.

Keep It Simple Silly (or Stupid).
1 Learn the basics. Stance, Bridge, Grip, Stroke, Head Eye Alignment, Aiming.
2 Practice until each is second nature.
3 Learn ball pocketing.
4 Learn ball mechanics.
5 Learn cue ball control both direction and speed.
6 Learn ball and table patterns.
7 Learn kicks and banks.
8 Learn and perfect a pre-shot routine.

Then KISS.
Trust your stroke and make the ball.
Don't let all your extra knowledge get in the way of making the ball.

I agree with SilverCue, just not in that order:

1 Learn the basics. STANCE, BRIDGE, GRIP, STROKE, HEAD ALIGNMENT & AIMING.
2 Learn and perfect a pre-shot routine.
3 Practice until each is second nature.
4 Learn ball pocketing.
5 Learn ball and table patterns.
6 Learn cue ball control both direction and speed.
7 Learn ball mechanics.
8 Learn kicks and banks.

TRUST your STROKE and make the ball.

NICE POST!!!

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
I had a little epiphany about 3 weeks ago, I was playing my match against Dave Matlock and I was playing really bad and he was playing great. Well I was studying what he was doing at the table and it clicked, on my last break of the match I broke and ran out that game, I lost 9-1 .

The speed of the table and new atmosphere had me a little out of sorts so my confidence was not there. Then it hit me my speed of stroke and pace around the table was off and I could hear Mark Wilson in the back of my head saying that "A top player like Efren can hit a stop shot at long range at around 6-7 miles per hour" What I had noticed is Dave's speed when he hit the cue ball.

My next match I won 9-2 and i missed 1 ball.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

Jaden

Little Epiphanies that keep getting little but more important.