Pool returns to ESPN….

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have cable so I couldn’t see it. Tried subscribing to ESPN+ but that doesn’t get it. Maybe it’ll swing around later.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
bonus ball show no good?

I only saw parts but it looked like it was filmed in an office conference room, complete with folding chairs and plastic table. The rest of the production was far worse than any typical pool stream.

They didn’t wind up playing bonus ball, but a variation where you can use any pocket. So the whole thing just looked weird. Especially compared to the kickball production that followed, that looked like it was filmed by people who had seen a TV show before.

I can’t imagine anyone was happy with the result, but I don’t know anything. Hopefully the players got paid.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a bar last night for a 16 man tournament. I won the tournament against a bunch of bangers, who all thought I was god;) It was good for my ego :D:D:D

Anyway, they had the ESPN Ocho show on the TV. I had forgotten all about it. I guess the pool segment was already over. The segment I watched about 30 seconds of was basketball played on a court made of trampolines. It was funny.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
They mentioned several times that in a regular pro version of this game they would only use 3 pockets. They also referenced Bonus Ball. It was done as an exhibition, to show people how it's played.

I'd watch it, if it was on and I had time available. I dont think it's "the answer", but I also don't think it hurts. I was skeptical about the whole Bonus Ball thing, back in the day, but I was certainly influenced more by the way they did business and walked all over existing tournaments at the time. They way they talked on this show, they're hoping to start up a league again. Hopefully they're are a little more sensible in how they try and schedule things this time.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Looks like Bonus Ball 2.0. I am wondering what they doing differently to make it successful this time around. It is a neat game, but can be hard to understand to the general public. I always felt the team aspect was great, the shot clock and stats too, but the game should have had a set of 9 or 10 ball and certainly 8 ball included. Best 2 out of 3 sets or something to roll it out to the public.

There was a big mistake made last time with a whole season of footage that I was involved with producing. With around 2-3 million invested into that season there was nothing done with the footage besides it going on YouTube. For that money the match recordings were all you had. This footage should have been given to any TV station worldwide that needed content especially in Asia.

Compile all worldwide views then go to a sponsor with the numbers. If you had 100 million views worldwide which is possible between online and TV then a sponsor would throw some money your way. Pool needs a legit corporate sponsor with there logo on the table, pool balls, and the players. Just my opinion. Carry on and best wishes.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fedor #9 ranked in the women’s league :ROFLMAO:

364126674_3363487977297318_7931264867871670046_n.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I only saw parts but it looked like it was filmed in an office conference room, complete with folding chairs and plastic table. The rest of the production was far worse than any typical pool stream. ...
I wonder how the guy with the money felt about this. Assuming there was a guy with money.

Seems like they could have put up some signage. Logos. Sponsors. Promote the PCL. Make a little arena. Crap like that.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I wonder how the guy with the money felt about this. Assuming there was a guy with money.

Seems like they could have put up some signage. Logos. Sponsors. Promote the PCL. Make a little arena. Crap like that.
I am assuming Larry is behind it, same guy who had the money and investors for the last one. We had an excellent arena and production 10 years or so ago with Bonus Ball. We were on ESPN3 which is just like the Ocho. Viewer numbers weren't the best and the business model was not viable. I do wish them success but if its done half a$$ then your first impression won't be good. Here is match from 10 years ago where Earl and JJ go at it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some of the comments over on FaceBook are brutal. :eek:

I was going to wait until I could watch it without a subscription but I may have to break down and spend a few bucks.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For pool to be on this network as a mainstay, we have to make new stars. This is perfectly positioned to establish Fedor as a new star among some bigger names (to the ESPN crowd). Any coverage from the world’s leader is good coverage.
Marquee players.