Pool road trip USA — best pool halls, best action, best spots 2022

quiet eyes

forget the poolrooms. a pool room only is good if you have been there awhile and can fit in with the crowd. otherwise its just a collection of tables.

spend your time seeing the country and not the big cities and highways.

why waste a whole great day playing for five or ten a game with one of the best in the house to win or lose 60 bucks. not even a tank of gas.

if you get bigger action than that playing even you wont win anything worthwhile being a 600.
You are certainly right. I want to learn as much about the country as possible but pool will be the theme and also justification for this trip. The whole thing isn't about money. It would be naive to think that I could come out on top gambling. I see playing for a few $ as a means to learn to get more resilient under pressure. BTW: In Germany money games (even for the table fees) are rather rare, even among very good players.

quiet eyes

Skyline has one tight Gold Crown. Good table to train on and play some 1P.
Right down the street from Skyline is Gotham City Billiards, they have one tight Blue Label Diamond and a daily special. I’ve never seen action there but a great place to practice.
Great.. Will definitely check out Gravesend, Brooklyn.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
. . . Drive, drive, drive and enjoy this country! There is a lot to see and many people you will enjoy meeting. Get off the beaten track and explore some of the back roads. You will be glad you did. You will have the experience of your lifetime and learn a lot in the process.
Exactly on point is Family Billiards in Boone NC which is owned by AZB's own ChrisinNC. The added bonus with it is that it located on, or near, one of the US's premiere drives -- the Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive. Not to be missed if you can help it. https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

On the subject of great drives, my state has the Natchez Trace Parkway and more Blues history (and life) than one can handle -- try to work it into your drive to or from New Orleans. (Morgan Freeman did not move back here for nothing.) https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

And, best possible advice: avoid the interstates at all costs. This system is great for moving, but you will see the same 50 miles all the way across most of the country.

Last edited:

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your plan! I think Texas and New Orleans are going to be your best stops, but I've never been to either. I've also heard that St. Louis has a big pool scene but once again, I haven't been there either lol. The pool rooms I visited in Vegas weren't as impressive as I expected. Maybe I came at a bad time.
Did you visit Griff’s since it opened a few years ago?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ROFL
Eh, love is my weapon. ... where are you located if I may ask?
I'm in Denver, Colorado and by personal protection I was not referring to condoms'.
I dont know how it is in Germany but having some way to defend yourself in the U.S. is a smart move.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly on point is Family Billiards in Boone NC which is owned by AZB's own ChrisinNC. The added bonus with it is that it located on, or near, one of the US's premiere drives -- the Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive. Not to be missed if you can help it.

On the subject of great drives, my state has the Natchez Trace Parkway and more Blues history than one can handle -- try to work it into your drive to New Orleans.

And, best possible advice is avoid the interstates at all costs. This system is great for moving, but you will see the same 50 miles all the way across most of the country.
Yeah cows, corn and wheat on I70 at least.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
On personal protection -- not to alarm but to allow you to properly prepare -- having a 9mm is a great comfort when changing a tire in the black midnight of a country road. Think of a gun as a life preserver for land travel. You probably will never need it, but there is no substitute for it if you do. I've only had to use mine for comfort, but rest assured, the bad guys carry them for far more nefarious purposes.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
edited in blue

Hi everyone,

in just a few months from September 2022 until February 2023 I'll have the privilege to visit the US. The main theme of my journey is playing pool and exploring the country and its people. Needless to say, I am thrilled.

Now, I would like to ask you about places in the US that have a lively pool scene (tournaments, playing for a few bucks) that also are nice to visit. And meeting fellow AZ folks is always appreciated.

My itinerary and respective pool halls so far:

For context: not exactly USA but the largest part of September and part of October I will be in
Hamilton, Ontario (Shooterville in Burlington)
Toronto (The Corner Bank)

already booked:
New York (Astoria) in November (Steinway, Amsterdam. Skyline, Carom Café)

Providence, Snooker’s

planned:
Austin for three weeks (Skinny Bob's)
Houston (Big Tyme, Bogies)
New Orleans for one month (Buffalos)
Meridian (Big Tyme)
Louisville (Derby City Classic)

maybe/recommendations:
Sacramento (Hard Times, Jointed Cue)
San Francisco (Family Billiards)
Freemont (California Billiards)
Las Vegas for two weeks (Griff's)
Chicago?
Denver
(Felt)

So my longest stays will probably be NYC, then Austin and NOLA but what other locations (can be far out) do you recommend for a longer stay during such a trip? Has to be a hotspot with great players, action and atmosphere.

Comments and advice highly appreciated. Bring it on and thank you!

😘
Alex

PS: I am a Fargo 600+ atm coming over from Germany. I would love to compete, train and further grow my game not only in 9/10-Ball but also learn a bit of Bank Pool and One-Pocket—> might try all disciplines at DCC. 😳

PPS: I checked out all the AZB threads but most are pre-covid and I want to avoid walking into a "pool hall" that is no more.
Go to the Derby

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
99% of the time safety is not an issue unless that is exactly what you are looking for.....
When gambling high with strangers, having a gun or a Samoan isn't a terrible idea.

Last edited:

quiet eyes

I'm in Denver, Colorado and by personal protection I was not referring to condoms'.
I dont know how it is in Germany but having some way to defend yourself in the U.S. is a smart move.
Exactly on point is Family Billiards in Boone NC which is owned by AZB's own ChrisinNC. The added bonus with it is that it located on, or near, one of the US's premiere drives -- the Blue Ridge Pkwy/Skyline Drive. Not to be missed if you can help it. https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

On the subject of great drives, my state has the Natchez Trace Parkway and more Blues history (and life) than one can handle -- try to work it into your drive to or from New Orleans. (Morgan Freeman did not move back here for nothing.) https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

And, best possible advice: avoid the interstates at all costs. This system is great for moving, but you will see the same 50 miles all the way across most of the country

Thanks, sounds good. I will certainly hit the Natchez Trace Parkway on my way from New Orleans to the DCC. I like the Blues!

quiet eyes

You won't have to defend yourself in Germany and most parts of Europe unless you are actively looking for trouble. I have been to the US before and learned that things are a bit different where you are. At the same time, it is a question of perspective. I met a guy in Chicago who was a teacher at some high school in Englewood (Southside). He didn't deny the problems but also encouraged others not to be paranoid and keep an open mind. I realize this can be difficult given the daily news. — But I'll be 'prepped' as well as possible, thanks! PM if you want to outfit me (12.5 mm preferred).

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well.....try to find it interesting anyway
IMG_20220623_053949.jpg

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me know when you come to New Orleans. I will take you and your girl kayaking with alligators. Will be a good opportunity for me to practice my German. Gute Reise!
He really needs to do this.
Imagine telling friends in Germany about it.
Can't do that on the Rhine.