Pool Room Closings across the USA

I know with the economy in the potty, I know there have been several pool rooms that have closed in the past year. For the room owners, the decision to close their business, I'm sure was the hardest decision they have ever made.

If you know some, please post a reply with the name, city & state so we can all make notes and in a way, this can be a tribute to the good ones that fell.
 
Baker's in Tampa, FL is one of 100's that have closed across the country in the last year.

Rent and real estate is far too expensive for the large tables now. Even if you go 90/10% on the 7-footers and the 9's it's going to be tough. The room better do a good bar, food, and pro shop business to survive IMO.

I'd bet that there are more rooms with mostly 7-footers doing a lot better than rooms with mostly 9-footers. Johnnyt
 
Man, that is horrid. I hate when a good thing goes away. I haven't heard of any losses in the pool community yet in my parts. The place I regular (Sharky's) is actually trying to expand and buy the next door lot out to add 6 nicer-than-the-others tables (going from 12 to 18). I hope it happens soon (crosses fingers for GC III's or Diamonds). I hope room owners find ways to keep themselves moving.
 
In New York City Fieldston's in the Bronx closed down last year and was converted into a church. I never been there, but found out from reading the New York Times;http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/22/nyregion/22metjournal.html

Broadway Billiards in Manhattan was last week. Can someone verify Action on N in Brooklyn?

In New York City, especially in Manhattan the small business owner needs to own the building in order to survive or have a sweetheart lease. The monthly rent on a 2-3 bedroom in Manhattan could pay for a brand new Brunswick Gold Crown IV.
 
Last edited:
Depressing

This is a very depressing thread. I feel sorry for those that have lost your room. I am very concerned about my local room and try to give them as much business as I can. What are the folks doing that have no where to play now? I could only imagine having to play on crap equipment some place that does not give a rat's a$$ about their pool customers, which I have experienced before. Oh man, I'm gettin paranoid....Fatboy, can you donate some money to my local room, pm me for details.........:grin:
 
i sure would like to hear an honest and candid discussion about the factors working against the pool halls that have closed down from the owners themselves. Their loss may be hard to deal with, but their insight sure could help current and future pool halls succeed and keep our culture alive.


I don't intend to step on any toes, but I think there are some cases out there where people got into a pool room without any understanding of what it takes to be an entrepreneur and what it takes to keep a business afloat in tough times. I'm quite sure that a lot of the rooms were what they call "vanity businesses". Meaning, a person with an opportunity to open a business builds his dream pool hall, car shop, or whatever as they imagined it, and often times their dream just doesn't make financial sense, and that problem gets exposed in tough times like this.

We all know beer and table time isn't enough to keep a business afloat... ANY business has to be exceptional and innovative in some respect, I think this is where the pool halls of today are lacking.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top