Pool Table as Wrapping Table? New Cloth

jjspelman

Pool tables make great gift wrapping tables!

Hopefully getting a new cloth after the Holidays. Any suggestions? Thinking about Simonis.

It's an 8' drop pocket table.

Merry Christmas if you celebrate.

wrapping-table.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool tables make great gift wrapping tables!

Hopefully getting a new cloth after the Holidays. Any suggestions? Thinking about Simonis.

It's an 8' drop pocket table.

Merry Christmas if you celebrate.

View attachment 621345
Yes, treat yourself to new Simonis, but not black! As you’ve found out, the far more visible burn marks alone are a good reason to never have black cloth, not to mention having to use black chalk!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Simonis 860 (maybe HR version?) is the tried and true solution. It may be that other brands will work OK but I think with Simonis you don't have to worry and it will probably last for as long as you have the table.

Related to wrapping.... I had a table at home and after a year or two it didn't get used much as there was a pool hall five minutes away. It collected paper. Occasionally to try a shot out, some of the paper had to be moved.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Pool tables make the best wrapping tables. The rail allows you to hold the box tight when doing the paper.

When I came home from college, my Mom had their table all covered with paper and tape and ribbons. She swore by that table---for wrapping, not playing. Hmmmm....play pool or allow presents to be wrapped? I was broke, so the presents triumphed.

One present wrapped on that Sears table was a Sears cue my Dad bought for me in 1971. $14 and the threaded end was on the shaft! I still have it.

Merry Christmas, bangers,

Jeff Livingston

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wife used a table we had once that was covered, as a work table, when I took the cover off to shoot some pool one day, it had a slit about 3/4" in it. Wife swore she didn't use a knife, but sure enough, when inspecting the cover there was a slit in it in the same area. Wasn't worth arguing about it. Slit never did spread or fray.

Last edited:

jjspelman

Yes, treat yourself to new Simonis, but not black! As you’ve found out, the far more visible burn marks alone are a good reason to never have black cloth, not to mention having to use black chalk!
Yeah plus the black fibers end up all over the balls. This was on the table when I bought it in June. It's a nap cloth so I do not expect to see the same problem with Simonis!

jjspelman

How can you tell if you need new rails? If I am going to get new cloth, that would be the best time to get rails. I think the person I bought it from said it was from the 80's - AMF HIghland Series.. No idea if the rails are that old or not.

First table I have ever purchased so forgive the newbie questions. Or should this be a separate post?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Simonis

I keep the Christmas stuff away from my table. To much glitter. I hate glitter in the cloth. Drives me crazy.
You are not the only one.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How can you tell if you need new rails? If I am going to get new cloth, that would be the best time to get rails. I think the person I bought it from said it was from the 80's - AMF HIghland Series.. No idea if the rails are that old or not.

First table I have ever purchased so forgive the newbie questions. Or should this be a separate post?
If you can get something over four lengths shooting the cue ball up and down the center of the table, the rubber is probably OK. You could test banks for consistency but you need to go at it pretty methodically to separate the table's problems from stroke issues.

dquarasr

Registered
Wife used a table we had once that was covered, as a work table, when I took the cover off to shot some pool one day, it had a slit about 3/4" in it. Wife swore she didn't use a knife, but sure enough, when inspecting the cover there was a slit in it in the same area. Wasn't worth arguing about it. Slit never did spread or fray.
I have the exact same thing. Half-inch cut in the cloth, and a cut in the same place on the table cover. Grrr. But it doesn’t affect play, so no real harm except when I look at it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the exact same thing. Half-inch cut in the cloth, and a cut in the same place on the table cover. Grrr. But it doesn’t affect play, so no real harm except when I look at it.
There are ways to mend the cut. The mechanics' forum can probably help with the current best practice.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Solved my situation with my new table in that the cover has been banned from use. Too easy to throw stuff on the table, and then either stuff starts to collect there, or things mysteriously happen to the table underneath. Vacuum it once a week, or sometimes more and stays nice and clean.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Solved my situation with my new table in that the cover has been banned from use. Too easy to throw stuff on the table, and then either stuff starts to collect there, or things mysteriously happen to the table underneath. Vacuum it once a week, or sometimes more and stays nice and clean.
Before I put my nice Brunswick cover on my GC I have a 4' x 8' x 1 1/2" thick piece of styrofoam insulation I put on the table. Then another older cover goes over my nice Brunswick cover. Work away, my table is pretty protected.