Pool Table Distance Between Tables

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
We are putting together a billiard center in our retirement community and I have a question. What is a comfortable distance between side by side 8 foot pool tables?

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are putting together a billiard center in our retirement community and I have a question. What is a comfortable distance between side by side 8 foot pool tables?

As a useful guide, the WPA rules for tournaments say "In WPA-sanctioned competitions a minimum measurement of 6 feet [1.83 m] is required between the outside edge of the table rail in every horizontal direction and obstacle (table, chair, rail, etc.)."

I know you aren't asking for a rule, but I think 6 feet between the tables is a pretty good rule of thumb, although at that distance a shooter on one side of one table cannot shoot at the same time as someone on the adjoining side of the other table. Be curious to know if anyone has actually measured at their hall to see what is in use.

Another thing to consider is whether you have somewhere for people to sit or stand that doesn't obstruct the other table(s).

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
Most Pool room owners I've spoken with preach 5 feet, but admit that in some instances they've used as little as 4 1/2 feet. The rationale is if they can fit an extra table or 2 in, that adds nicely to the bottom line, be it the end of the night, week, month or year. It sounds like that's not your quandary, so yeah, 6 feet is nice. -Z-

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Pool room owners I've spoken with preach 5 feet, but admit that in some instances they've used as little as 4 1/2 feet. The rationale is if they can fit an extra table or 2 in, that adds nicely to the bottom line, be it the end of the night, week, month or year. It sounds like that's not your quandary, so yeah, 6 feet is nice. -Z-

This is what 7 feet looks like.

Yes, I know people generally don't have the luxury to do this. And I know 5 feet is enough. And I know if you're crunched for space it is better to put less space between the tables and more space on the outside where people hang out.

But for those who have some space, there is a point that is I think under-appreciated.

You might think
five feet is enough
six feet is better
seven feet doesn't buy you much over six feet

But the third one is wrong. With 7-feet a player on one table can almost always walk by someone shooting on the other table -to eye up a shot, get back to the chair, rack the balls, get to the next shot.... When there are matches on both tables, things go considerably faster with 7 feet.

Attachments

• 7feet.jpg
    7feet.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,712

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what 7 feet looks like.

Yes, I know people generally don't have the luxury to do this. And I know 5 feet is enough. And I know if you're crunched for space it is better to put less space between the tables and more space on the outside where people hang out.

But for those who have some space, there is a point that is I think under-appreciated.

You might think
five feet is enough
six feet is better
seven feet doesn't buy you much over six feet

But the third one is wrong. With 7-feet a player on one table can almost always walk by someone shooting on the other table -to eye up a shot, get back to the chair, rack the balls, get to the next shot.... When there are matches on both tables, things go considerably faster with 7 feet.

I really need to find an excuse to go to Fargo!