Pool Table Equipment

friendofpool

Registered
I'm getting a pool table light and I was thinking of one I found that has six halogen lights angled toward each pocket. Are halogen lights suitable for a pool table? Any advice is appreciated.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
friendofpool said:
I'm getting a pool table light and I was thinking of one I found that has six halogen lights angled toward each pocket. Are halogen lights suitable for a pool table? Any advice is appreciated.

Halogen lights can be HOT for one thing, they also use a good amount of electricity for another. Fluorescent lighting is used for it's economical value. Incandescent lights are good lighting & semi-economical too.

GOOD Pool Table lights are hard to find, unless you have a pocket full of money. I make the lights shown for my friends. They are $500 for a 7-8 footer & $650 for a 9 footer.

Good Luck in your search

Attachments

• oak pool lite 2.jpg
    oak pool lite 2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 162
  • oak pool lite 3.JPG
    oak pool lite 3.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 144

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
friendofpool said:

I don't think halogen lights pointed towards the pockets will provide enough lighting. Even if it does, pointing towards the pockets would likely look odd. I've never seen it done that way. The few times I've seen halogen lights used, it was in bars where dimmer was better.

Personally, I find incandescent lighting to be the best. Florescent tends to make Simonis look a little blue but it lights the table well. If you're looking for a professional set-up, I'd stick with either incandescent or florescent.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
ceebee said:
Halogen lights can be HOT for one thing, they also use a good amount of electricity for another. Fluorescent lighting is used for it's economical value. Incandescent lights are good lighting & semi-economical too.

GOOD Pool Table lights are hard to find, unless you have a pocket full of money. I make the lights shown for my friends. They are $500 for a 7-8 footer & $650 for a 9 footer.

Good Luck in your search

Ceebee,

Where are you in Oklahoma? I need a pool table light.

Jim

friendofpool

Registered
Thanks for the advice... This light runs around $2000 so I want to make sure it's going to work well with the pool table before I dish out that kind of coin.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sell lighting as well, but aimed more toward residential.

Something I think more people ought to consider is recessed lighting.

If your table is absolutely * never * going to be moved to another location in that room, they offer a lot of wiggle room. They come in almost every variety of light and wattage and are as out of the way as you can get.

Another consideration might be track lighting, which again can ve very funtional and attractive.

Add that to their cost and they look better all the time.

Dave

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
friendofpool said:
Thanks for the advice... This light runs around $2000 so I want to make sure it's going to work well with the pool table before I dish out that kind of coin.

You can buy a Diamond Pro Light or a Brunswick Light for just over a thousand & your problems are solved.

I think my light is better than the Diamond or the Brunswick, but I don't have any overhead to jack my price up.

Last edited:

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ceebee said:

Good Luck in your search

Those are nice lights.
Are the diffusers metal or wood? Do you make them?
Do they have a shiney finish or paint white?

Do you have a link to a site that sells them. I would like to
save the info in case I need some one day. I think they look very nice.

In the 9 footer how many bulbs are in there and are they 8foot bulbs?

thanks

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
Those are nice lights.
Are the diffusers metal or wood? Do you make them?
Do they have a shiney finish or paint white?

Do you have a link to a site that sells them. I would like to
save the info in case I need some one day. I think they look very nice.

In the 9 footer how many bulbs are in there and are they 8foot bulbs?

thanks

The diffusers are aluminum with a matte finish.

I make the lights with my cue maker. I buy the light parts from an electrical lighting company

The 9 foot light has 9 (qty) 2 foot lights that are double row fluorescent bulbs. Sylvania FDT40DL/830/RS

friendofpool

Registered
Glare on the balls

Okay, I'll profess my ignorance here, but I was talking to a friend of mine, also a very strong player, and he said no go on fluorescent/halogen lighting. He claims that incandescent lighting is better because it creates shadows on the table and a glare on the balls - and supposedly this is preferable - is this true? I don't use the glare on the ball as an aiming device myself, and I thought shadows were bad...

I never thought buying the damn light would be such an issue after deciding on the table. Most of the lights out there are plain ugly. The Brunswick centennial is okay, but I'd like to find something more stylish since the table will be in plain view.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
friendofpool said:
He claims that incandescent lighting is better because it creates shadows on the table and a glare on the balls - and supposedly this is preferable - is this true?

I never thought buying the damn light would be such an issue after deciding on the table.

Most folks will buy a pool table light & never know they've been had. You even see crummy pool table lights in Pool Halls.

If you would like for me to quote you a nice pool table Light (similar in shape to the ones I posted here) that is decorated up to match your pool table, send me some pics of your pool table.