Pool Tournaments During COVID Pandemic

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
uhh, the whole point is to reduce the likelihood of possible transmission. No one with any amount of common sense is making the argument that preventative measures are 100% effective. When you fail to engage in precautionary measures that benefit the safety of others, you are making a willful choice to put your desires above the health and safety of your fellow citizens. There is nothing more antithetical to American principalism than a cavlier disregard for the well being of your nation and fellow citizens. I don't expect you to change your mind, I just want everyone else to recognize what an ignoramus you actually are.
I am living a "normal" life. Nobody in our pool leagues wears a mask. A couple of teammates recently got the virus, and they said it was like a mild cold. In my town, we aren't letting the virus change our way of life. The overall death rate in 2020 is not higher than in any recent and previous year. Very few people die from this virus. The normal flu also kills tens of thousands of people a year, and yet, you or nobody else wore a mask or social distanced yourself so that the elderly could be saved. So get off your high horse.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, there are people that feel the wild west would be a much cooler place to live. There are those that are comfortable being told exactly what is acceptable and permissible.

It's when people, from either side of the debate, make up their mind that THEIR opinion is the only right one and that EVERYONE else must believe what they believe, that conflict occurs.

Saw this on another forum: Hypothetical: You walk into a pool room that DOES NOT require masks, and you see people NOT wearing masks. You are nervous about the virus, so do you:

A. Turn around and walk out, thus protecting you and your loved ones, and leaving the unmasked patrons to their business, or
B. Make an announcement to the pool room that everyone not wearing a mask is an idiot and that you are uncomfortable therefore they should put a mask on.

Seems like an easy choice, AND one that can be applied to many social situations.
The answer is do not walk into a poolroom if people are not wearing masks and
do not walk into a poolroom where people are wearing masks.
This is the distance part of the equation that people just seem to ignore.
And guess what, when people ignore the good sense they're born with then
the government steps in to protect people from themselves.
Elected officials took an oath to protect their constituents even from themselves and their poor judgement.
It's a global pandemic for crying out loud.
It ain't just a common cold or a seasonal flu.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone who was at the tournament in Tennessee is home sick today. Not sure if he's run down from a pool weekend, which has happened to me on my pool excursions, or if he's sick with coronavirus or caught a cold or maybe the flu. But he is sick today and in bed.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You say masks work. I respectfully disagree that the common cloth mask does not work. Some may help to reduce transmission when worn correctly by all, but they simply are not that effective. Where I live masks are mandated, occupancy restrictions are enforced, pool is a gray zone - some leagues are running but others not at all. I caught Covid despite being always masked, around folks who were masked, and cleaning and sanitizing regularly.

It's not rocket science.

The virus is spread by airborne droplets and particles. One person wearing a mask, cloth or otherwise, reduces the spread of droplets and particles. Two people wearing masks talking to each other reduces the spread further. Are they perfect? No. But one look at FLIR imagery of people talking with and without masks is pretty convincing.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masks will NOT prevent you from getting the virus. In fact, right on the box of many masks it will state that wearing these masks will not protect you from a virus. While masks may reduce the amount of moisture droplets that a person ejects into the environment, the COVID virus is airborne and will easily pass right out of your mask and into someone else's mask. People that wear masks have a total false sense of security.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...ients-reported-wearing-masks-always-or-often/

The 6 foot social distancing guideline is also arbitrary. The studies and information that I read about early on in the pandemic indicated that the virus will travel 15-20 feet from a person that has it. So 6 feet may reduce the chances of transmission somewhat, but again, it actually will not 100% protect you if you stay 6 feet apart. More false sense of security.

What I am totally opposed to, are people that will insist on pointing their finger at OTHERS that choose not to wear a mask or social distance. Like they are the definite cause of someone else getting the virus. If you want a close to zero chance of getting the virus, then stay home. Simple. I personally feel that I've been exposed to the virus, but I take high doses of Vitamin C & D daily, as I feel that these two vitamins at high doses can protect me from becoming symptomatic.

If you think that social distancing and masks actually work, then go ahead and wear masks and social distance yourself. But it's nobody's else's responsibility to ensure your health. So stop trying to blame others, criticize them, and shame them. Worry about yourself and leave everyone else alone.

Of course masks will not 100% prevent you from getting the virus.

But the virus spreads via airborne droplets and particles which masks have been proven to help stop. And yes, the virus can travel further than 6' but it's better than being shoulder-to-shoulder. Lastly, you have zero right to jeopardize the health of other people with careless behavior, i.e. you can't drive 70MPH in a residential neighborhood. So wear your mask, stay 6' away, wash your hands frequently, and observe the speed limit ;-)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am living a "normal" life. Nobody in our pool leagues wears a mask. A couple of teammates recently got the virus, and they said it was like a mild cold. In my town, we aren't letting the virus change our way of life. The overall death rate in 2020 is not higher than in any recent and previous year. Very few people die from this virus. The normal flu also kills tens of thousands of people a year, and yet, you or nobody else wore a mask or social distanced yourself so that the elderly could be saved. So get off your high horse.

300,000 Americans, so far, would beg to differ with you... if they could.

Lou Figueroa

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Of course masks will not 100% prevent you from getting the virus.

But the virus spreads via airborne droplets and particles which masks have been proven to help stop. And yes, the virus can travel further than 6' but it's better than being shoulder-to-shoulder. Lastly, you have zero right to jeopardize the health of other people with careless behavior, i.e. you can't drive 70MPH in a residential neighborhood. So wear your mask, stay 6' away, wash your hands frequently, and observe the speed limit ;-)

Lou Figueroa
What percentage do they stop it then?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
It's not rocket science.

The virus is spread by airborne droplets and particles. One person wearing a mask, cloth or otherwise, reduces the spread of droplets and particles. Two people wearing masks talking to each other reduces the spread further. Are they perfect? No. But one look at FLIR imagery of people talking with and without masks is pretty convincing.

Lou Figueroa
Then why didn't all of you wear a mask to reduce the amount of elderly that die each year from Influenza? Tens of thousands die each year from the common flu.

I'll give you a hint. There is a bigger agenda going on here by the Globalists. The liberal run states followed their masters and are trying to ruin their economies and control the people. The Globalists want a Great Reset. And unfortunately, most are rationalizing the big change of mask wearing and social distancing that it is the decent thing to do for others.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not rocket science.

Lou Figueroa
By choosing to go out, you risk catching the virus. When I catch the virus, not if, I will quarantine. Me wearing a mask will keep people healthy, but the only people that will catch it from me are the ones who are making the same decisions I am. You cannot go out, catch the virus, then blame the people that were not wearing masks. You put yourself in that situation. I wear a mask shopping, I wear a mask at appointments, I do not wear at a bar, or other social places...why? It is other peoples choice to be in the same social arena that I am in. They know the risks, just like I do. And yet we still go. I make bad decisions. So does everyone. If you are infected by someone at the pool hall, it is your choice of going to the pool hall, not someone not wearing a mask.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then why didn't all of you wear a mask to reduce the amount of elderly that die each year from Influenza? Tens of thousands die each year from the common flu.

I'll give you a hint. There is a bigger agenda going on here by the Globalists. The liberal run states followed their masters and are trying to ruin their economies and control the people. The Globalists want a Great Reset. And unfortunately, most are rationalizing the big change of mask wearing and social distancing that it is the decent thing to do for others.

OK, lol, you lost me with the world "Globalists."

oh, and Biden won the election.

Lou Figueroa

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
300,000 Americans, so far, would beg to differ with you... if they could.

Lou Figueroa
That number is highly inflated. Stories abound where hospitals were given more money if the person died of COVID, so guess what? Many other types of deaths were now reported as COVID deaths. Overall death rate in this country has not increased.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By choosing to go out, you risk catching the virus. When I catch the virus, not if, I will quarantine. Me wearing a mask will keep people healthy, but the only people that will catch it from me are the ones who are making the same decisions I am. You cannot go out, catch the virus, then blame the people that were not wearing masks. You put yourself in that situation. I wear a mask shopping, I wear a mask at appointments, I do not wear at a bar, or other social places...why? It is other peoples choice to be in the same social arena that I am in. They know the risks, just like I do. And yet we still go. I make bad decisions. So does everyone. If you are infected by someone at the pool hall, it is your choice of going to the pool hall, not someone not wearing a mask.

Good grief, it's about reducing risk, not about blame.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That number is highly inflated. Stories abound where hospitals were given more money if the person died of COVID, so guess what? Many other types of deaths were now reported as COVID deaths. Overall death rate in this country has not increased.

ooooowwww, "stories abound."

Now that's some serious evidence there, lol.

Lou Figueroa

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I suppose that would vary on a number of variables.

Wearing a seat belt does not save everyone who experiences a car crash. But wearing it is still a good idea.

Lou Figueroa
Yes, I agree. A LOT of variables, all of which are much harder to identify with a mask than a seat belt. There's also the science that makes masks nasty and dangerous to the wearer. It's far too complicated to make blanket statements with any confidence. And of course there's the simple concept of touching ones face 20X more per day BECAUSE of the mask and then touching objects others can't avoid touching as well. I'd put way more faith in distance versus mask.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I agree. A LOT of variables, all of which are much harder to identify with a mask than a seat belt. There's also the science that makes masks nasty and dangerous to the wearer. It's far too complicated to make blanket statements with any confidence. And of course there's the simple concept of touching ones face 20X more per day BECAUSE of the mask and then touching objects others can't avoid touching as well. I'd put way more faith in distance versus mask.

Every little bit helps.

Lou Figueroa

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
In our little smallish city (big town) we have 19 people on ventilators as of last evening. That's WAY over any other time in modern history. Its anecdotal, but its a BIG number for a smallish city like this.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good grief, it's about reducing risk, not about blame.

Lou Figueroa
Right. You reduce risk by staying home. Not by frequenting the bars. If you are worried about risk, negate it by removing yourself. It is simple. Worrying about my poor decision, is not the way to force people into this. I am traveling for a tournament this week, to a hotspot of covid. Now to tell you I am not worried, I would be a liar. If I happen to contract this virus while on my excursion, I will promptly quarantine. Ultimately I am responsible for my actions. As is everyone.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member
Would you feel bad if you weren't showing symptoms and transmitted it to someone who died? How would you feel then? You might not even know it, sad to say. I appreciate your sharing your opinion politely, though. Thanks. :)
Could you link your favorite Covid19 resources?
I note a very strong similarity between what you say and what my daughter says.

I would like to read the original opinions from the talking point sites.