Poor Shane is Trapped !

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ryder cup for Golf is basically a side show, in Golf it is all about the majors.

In pool, yes there are some big tournaments, but the Mosconi cup is one of the bigger promoted and televised events of the year

Jeremy Jones , the way he played showed that it is more about composure in that very unique environment than anything else

Shane has so much pressure on him, when he wins, he is expected to.

I would like to see Shane have the space to make the decision to play or not play without the likes of Earl or Johnny (or anyone else) chiming in

When they were playing consistently every year, they were playing against snooker players and 9ball noobs.
Talk to the Euro golfers about the RC being a sideshow. Some of the greatest, hi-level golf i've ever watched has been in RC. Being on a winning MC team doesn't carry anywhere near the weight of a US Open, World Championship or even Derby City title.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has struggled but he shouldn't quit playing in the Mosconi Cup. He just needs to persevere. He is such a great player that he should eventually improve in such settings. Perhaps part of the problem is that this format is so rarely played- short races, team event, in front of a relatively large crowd for pool standards. If possible, there needs to be more preparatory events similar to the MC format for a player like Shane to get adjusted
Maybe he just use CJ's 'i've already lost' mantra and come out and freestroke their ass. Couldn't hurt.

middleofnowhere

Registered
You do know you can root for a team/player without getting "emotionally involved", right?

I wanted America to win. I cared that they lost.

But I didn't lock myself in my room and cry under the covers when it was over.
Actually you can't, you need to have some interest in the outcome whether it's financial or personal. If you're rooting for one side there must be a reason. Otherwise you wouldn't care one way or another.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Actually you can't, you need to have some interest in the outcome whether it's financial or personal. If you're rooting for one side there must be a reason. Otherwise you wouldn't care one way or another.
I find it quite possible to just enjoy watching without caring who wins. Army/Navy football game comes to mind. MosconI? Of course I root for the USA, but it's not the big deal to me that it is to some here...

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Any game man plays can be and has been rigged. When high stakes gambling is present, the odds of rigging increase. I hope it's not true in this case. Actually, I doubt it's true when the heavy odds favorite wins as expected.

(edit) In Shane's case, I really do think it's the added pressure of having a team counting on him. Why would he dump? He's one of the few players in the world with no reason to worry about making a living at the game.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
I find it quite possible to just enjoy watching without caring who wins. Army/Navy football game comes to mind. MosconI? Of course I root for the USA, but it's not the big deal to me that it is to some here...
Yes, I can watch a rodeo or most Olympic sports with no interest in the outcome. Even so it is usually fun to pick a side. We all do it with DWTS and AGT. When it's over though we don't give it another thought.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will only get crucified by the Yahoos who actually think this is a real pool tournament instead of a carnival crap-shoot meant for entertainment…like WWE wrestling.

I enjoy playing and watching pool, but I don’t care who wins, one way or the other, unless I am playing and have money on the game.

People who get emotionally involved in sports that they are not participating in have mental issues.

It is a game.

It is entertainment.

Relax.

Watch the GAME!

DON’T fret who wins or loses.

If your team loses, drink a beer.

If they win, drink two beers.
I agree. Said the same many years ago because of the short races. Some others on here contend that it is a valid test because of the number of said races.

VVP

Registered
Maybe they need to take the pressure off Shane and let Skyler play the majority of singles matches. I don't think we should have a player vice-captain also. How about Earl for vice-captain?

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane obviously does not enjoy playing in the Mosconi Cup. If he quits playing in the event, he will get crucified for 'abandoning his country'.

There is not a huge gaggle of upcoming US talent nipping at his heels to 'push' him out of the team. He will automatically be in the team for at least another 5 years, if not longer.

Every year, his abysmal record will be bought up and make it less and less enjoyable

Every year, he is playing without the support of another 1 or 2 top top players. Europe always have 3 at least at this standard in their team.
This off topic but I think the MC should should expand include a team from Asia and a team from the Philippines make it a world event

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This off topic but I think the MC should should expand include a team from Asia and a team from the Philippines make it a world event
Sounds good on paper but putting it together and be able to get it played in short time frame would be kinda tuff to pull off. There's already a two-man team event run by MR. Just don't see this happening.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
he is a professional and makes his living at the game. he has no reason to play in any event that doesnt enhance his profits in one way or another that is what he believes it is worth his time. and it becomes a personal choice.

only if his sponsors force him to play does he need to play.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Read what I wrote again.

Having an interest in who wins and loses doesn't mean you are emotionally invested. Which is what Hawaiian was implying.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. Said the same many years ago because of the short races. Some others on here contend that it is a valid test because of the number of said races.
If you constantly lose/underperform in short races over a long period of time it's just as informative as a single long race, if not more informative.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you constantly lose/underperform in short races over a long period of time it's just as informative as a single long race, if not more informative.
I'd agree somewhat but the MC is a once-a-year, crazy atmosphere entertainment deal so i don't put a ton of stock in MC results. Shane has played well at times in the MC but i still think its just not his thing.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Easy solution... Shane moves to a captain position or mirrors Karl Boyes position (vice-captian) on the Euro team. Let Skylar lead the charge and do away with the favouritism on the selection criteria.

Last edited:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane obviously does not enjoy playing in the Mosconi Cup. If he quits playing in the event, he will get crucified for 'abandoning his country'.

There is not a huge gaggle of upcoming US talent nipping at his heels to 'push' him out of the team. He will automatically be in the team for at least another 5 years, if not longer.

Every year, his abysmal record will be bought up and make it less and less enjoyable

Every year, he is playing without the support of another 1 or 2 top top players. Europe always have 3 at least at this standard in their team.
Crucified? LMAO. You think way too much about this carnival show.

Its a guaranteed good pay day and helps his brand. He ain't going anywhere nor should he.

Are other players like Dechaine, Bergman, Dominquez, Sossei, Roberts, etc. etc., even competing in enough top level Rotation events to qualify to be able to even push him out? Hopefully never see Deuel on it again either.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Shane, but based on his record, I dont think he will be missed.

Maybe it's more a mental thing. The Mosconi cup format is making his brain manufacturer more pressure, and causing mistakes that he usually wouldn't make. Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist over the next year to get his mind right for the next event.
Maybe the Baltimore Orioles could refer Shane to Dr. David Tracy.

1639346487792.png

middleofnowhere

Registered
Read what I wrote again.

Having an interest in who wins and loses doesn't mean you are emotionally invested. Which is what Hawaiian was implying.
No I understand. What happens on a forum like this is if you're reading a thread and you write a response to one particular poster, you find yourself subconsciously responding to other posters because you've got in your mind what you've already read which may not be relevant to the comment at hand.
Unless I've got something really personal or a financial interest in the outcome, I'm never going to live and die with the result of a sporting event. In no time at all pretty much everything becomes yesterday's news.