Poor Shane is Trapped !

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane obviously does not enjoy playing in the Mosconi Cup. If he quits playing in the event, he will get crucified for 'abandoning his country'.

There is not a huge gaggle of upcoming US talent nipping at his heels to 'push' him out of the team. He will automatically be in the team for at least another 5 years, if not longer.

Every year, his abysmal record will be bought up and make it less and less enjoyable

Every year, he is playing without the support of another 1 or 2 top top players. Europe always have 3 at least at this standard in their team.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will only get crucified by the Yahoos who actually think this is a real pool tournament instead of a carnival crap-shoot meant for entertainment…like WWE wrestling.

I enjoy playing and watching pool, but I don’t care who wins, one way or the other, unless I am playing and have money on the game.

People who get emotionally involved in sports that they are not participating in have mental issues.

It is a game.

It is entertainment.

Relax.

Watch the GAME!

DON’T fret who wins or loses.

If your team loses, drink a beer.

If they win, drink two beers.

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will only get crucified by the Yahoos who actually think this is a real pool tournament instead of a carnival crap-shoot meant for entertainment…like WWE wrestling.

I enjoy playing and watching pool, but I don’t care who wins, one way or the other, unless I am playing and have money on the game.

People who get emotionally involved in sports that they are not participating in have mental issues.

It is a game.

It is entertainment.

Relax.

Watch the GAME!

DON’T fret who wins or loses.

If your team loses, drink a beer.

If they win, drink two beers.
It’s a competition and we cheer hard for who we want to win. that’s how sporting events work. Maybe you haven’t seen any before. Lol. Svb should step down. either he doesn’t like being there or he’s just not good at the team situation. Either way he does not play like himself in it so let someone else play

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting perspective
shane has obviously struggled at the MC, but I think shane likes representing america and being on the team
I don't think he's so bad that he should step down, but I guess we'll see what happens moving forward

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when I first started to play team pool and how surprised I was at the pressure. It was different than normal pressure, much more difficult. It was a foreign feeling having someone else depending on me and I never got used to it. I liked it better when I had only myself to let down. Sometimes I wonder if Shane feels that way.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's fkd. Shane outside of the top 5 in the US probably won't happen in my lifetime.
I feel for the guy. It makes me squirm in my chair watching him play the cup. Team sports ain't for everyone. Pool, like tennis or golf is an individual sport at it's core and the very best seem to struggle with the team part.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Shane, but based on his record, I dont think he will be missed.

Maybe it's more a mental thing. The Mosconi cup format is making his brain manufacturer more pressure, and causing mistakes that he usually wouldn't make. Maybe he needs to see a sports psychologist over the next year to get his mind right for the next event.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think he's so bad that he should step down, but I guess we'll see what happens moving forward
As much as Shane has struggled in this event, as he’s still the top player in this country, it should be entirely his decision as to whether or not he wants to compete in future Mosconi Cups.

Wasn’t it just 3-4 years ago he was contemplating whether he wanted to continue playing in the Mosconi Cup, and he decided to stick with it, and then we won it two years in a row?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as Shane has struggled in this event, as he’s still the top player in this country, it should be entirely his decision as to whether or not he wants to compete in future Mosconi Cups.

Wasn’t it just 3-4 years ago he was contemplating whether he wanted to continue playing in the Mosconi Cup, and he decided to stick with it, and then we won it two years in a row?
He was contemplating not playing based on the rigorous training schedule Johan put together for the 2018 team which required lots of travel, some international.

Fast Guy

Registered
Many years ago, I read an article ( paraphrasing), what makes Tiger Woods, the best Golfer in the world. He has a huge TV audience, gallery is over flowing with people. TV cameras, literally on top of him and he sinks a fifteen foot putt, to win the U.S. open. Call it pressure, call what you want.......

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many years ago, I read an article ( paraphrasing), what makes Tiger Woods, the best Golfer in the world. He has a huge TV audience, gallery is over flowing with people. TV cameras, literally on top of him and he sinks a fifteen foot putt, to win the U.S. open. Call it pressure, call what you want.......
Tiger was being prepped for the limelight before he was 10yrs old. His dad would do everything possible to shark him. Tiger literally lives for that atmosphere. A lot of players wilt in those situations but Tiger seemed to play better, come with the hero shot when he needed it most.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know you can root for a team/player without getting "emotionally involved", right?

I wanted America to win. I cared that they lost.

But I didn't lock myself in my room and cry under the covers when it was over.
I see lots of people who do exactly that, especially with football…and they don’t have a dime bet on the game.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Shane is without question the best individual player in America his record shows he may not be suited to a team event. Perhaps he will reconsider playing in the Mosconi Cup again. Time will tell...

The folks that think this is not a real pool tournament should look at the record of the Euro team.. They obviously believe it is a real pool tournament. They win it at home and on the road....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While Shane is without question the best individual player in America his record shows he may not be suited to a team event. Perhaps he will reconsider playing in the Mosconi Cup again. Time will tell...

The folks that think this is not a real pool tournament should look at the record of the Euro team.. They obviously believe it is a real pool tournament. They win it at home and on the road....
Everytime i watch a MC i see a European 'team' and the US side as five guys that kinda play ok together. The Euro sides just look more cohesive overall.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger Woods' Ryder Cup career record: 13-21-3

It doesn't take away from a player's greatness or skill if they don't thrive in a once-yearly team competition.
He has winning record in singles. Very hard to predict the team matches especially alternate shot. I agree that the MC is not a major indicator of Shane's overall talent/record.

Last edited:

Desmondp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Ryder cup for Golf is basically a side show, in Golf it is all about the majors.

In pool, yes there are some big tournaments, but the Mosconi cup is one of the bigger promoted and televised events of the year

Jeremy Jones , the way he played showed that it is more about composure in that very unique environment than anything else

Shane has so much pressure on him, when he wins, he is expected to.

I would like to see Shane have the space to make the decision to play or not play without the likes of Earl or Johnny (or anyone else) chiming in

When they were playing consistently every year, they were playing against snooker players and 9ball noobs.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane has struggled but he shouldn't quit playing in the Mosconi Cup. He just needs to persevere. He is such a great player that he should eventually improve in such settings. Perhaps part of the problem is that this format is so rarely played- short races, team event, in front of a relatively large crowd for pool standards. If possible, there needs to be more preparatory events similar to the MC format for a player like Shane to get adjusted