Position markers for practice

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen videos of lessons where adhesive markers are used so you can practice the pattern multiple times. Are these just the round dots you can buy at office supply? I have seen something Sharkmarks and that's cool but wondering if some everyday something can be used.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen videos of lessons where adhesive markers are used so you can practice the pattern multiple times. Are these just the round dots you can buy at office supply? I have seen something Sharkmarks and that's cool but wondering if some everyday something can be used.

Yep, just binder rings. Work like a charm...👍

EDIT: Technically called hole reinforcements.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Caution - I discovered that if you leave these on the table for too long some of the adhesive stays when you pull them off, which then picks up dirt, making dark "donuts" on the cloth.

pj
chgo

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Caution - I discovered that if you leave these on the table for too long some of the adhesive stays when you pull them off, which then picks up dirt, making dark "donuts" on the cloth.

pj
chgo
Indeed, and "darkly" alarming OB skids from the inevitably transferred dirt/adhesive.

Arnaldo

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I'm actually lucky enough that I've had a box of these things for 10 maybe 20 years so they barely stick. I did worry about that when I first started using them though.

Odd note, maybe hit the goodwill or similar to see if they have an old box with crappy glue. I actually have to lick mine to make them stick.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this........start with a dinner plate size plastic circle,
then a saucer size and ultimately a coaster size round
circle. When you practice, place the circle where you
want the cue ball to wind up. You get to practice using area
shape or as some refer to it, window shape. At the outset,
use the biggest circle. As you get better, reduce the size.
Get the cue ball to land within the circle. It’s a mini version
of Target Pool. You just reposition the circle for the next shot.

If you get good at this, pretty soon you will just substitute a
marker or just a coin. Heck, place a piece of chalk upside down
for the position and the cue ball has to strike the chalk. Make
it into a version like bottle billiards. I use a Pebble Beach golf
ball marker & place it where I want the cue ball to stop for ideal
position for the next OB. How close I come tells me how well I
am playing that particular day & it makes practice a li’l more fun.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this........start with a dinner plate size plastic circle,
then a saucer size and ultimately a coaster size round
circle. When you practice, place the circle where you
want the cue ball to wind up. You get to practice using area
shape or as some refer to it, window shape. At the outset,
use the biggest circle. As you get better, reduce the size.
Get the cue ball to land within the circle. It’s a mini version
of Target Pool. You just reposition the circle for the next shot.

If you get good at this, pretty soon you will just substitute a
marker or just a coin. Heck, place a piece of chalk upside down
for the position and the cue ball has to strike the chalk. Make
it into a version like bottle billiards. I use a Pebble Beach golf
ball marker & place it where I want the cue ball to stop for ideal
position for the next OB. How close I come tells me how well I
am playing that particular day & it makes practice a li’l more fun.

I got tired of cutting the paper so just started drawing circles on a full sheet, it's much easier and much more acceptable for lazy people :)

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
This happened to my father in laws table. In his case heat and humidity made it worse. We started taking them off after each day. No issues since.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
history lesson for the yugins... :)
in the old days
we used 3 ring notebooks that required 3 holed paper
often the holes would rip so "hole reinforcers" were created
today they work great on a pool table to mark pool ball positions
3 ring binder.png
3 ring paper.png
hole reinforcers.png

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fast one, your right. bbb is referring to the the reenforcer's of olden days that were made of fabric and you had to lick them. Not that I'd know anything about that.

The new ultra thin, plastic base self sticking kind were made just for pool. The ones that Scott mentioned for $8.99 a thousand are for low rent slobs that play with sneaky petes.

kamui has a similar donut than won't leave dirty streaks on your cloth for only $49.99 per one hundred. Absolutely required for those who only shoot with custom cues with flat faced ivory joints turned by the elves of the Black Forest.

Geosnookery

Mine were a dollar at the dollar store. I use them to Mark the centre of the Snooker pockets. This way I can tell centre pocket from any angle.

An added use. Some use the ‘ghost ball method’ for potting balls. Use a sticky donut to replace the ball used to determine the ghost position. Then just aim at the donut.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
fast one, your right. bbb is referring to the the reenforcer's of olden days that were made of fabric and you had to lick them. Not that I'd know anything about that.

The new ultra thin, plastic base self sticking kind were made just for pool. The ones that Scott mentioned for $8.99 a thousand are for low rent slobs that play with sneaky petes.

kamui has a similar donut than won't leave dirty streaks on your cloth for only $49.99 per one hundred. Absolutely required for those who only shoot with custom cues with flat faced ivory joints turned by the elves of the Black Forest.
Only $49.99 per 100 for Kamui hole reinforcements??? Im going to rush out and get some when I order some of that $30.00 per cube chalk that is normally free when playing at a facility.

I was making light of the situation, I was completely unaware that someone made pool specific hole reinforcement stickers, what a great time to be alive!!!

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only $49.99 per 100 for Kamui hole reinforcements??? Im going to rush out and get some when I order some of that $30.00 per cube chalk that is normally free when playing at a facility.

I was making light of the situation, I was completely unaware that someone made pool specific hole reinforcement stickers, what a great time to be alive!!!

LOL, you can buy 1200 on amazon for about $9.