power draw

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get your question, but tips of all sizes "have the same chance" - they can all hit the ball the same distance from center without miscuing.

Background info: The miscue limit (1/2 radius from center ball) is right where the curved surface of the ball is angled 30 degrees away. Not coincidentally, cue tips are shaped so that their curved surfaces include at least 30 degrees on each side so they can match surfaces with the ball out to that limit - nickel and dime curves work for pool and snooker tips respectively.

pj
chgo
Why then do billiards guys use 9 mils?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen enough of your posts to know that you understand what I mean. I'll just leave it there.
It's amusing how the advanced player is held in a differnt light. Anyway as far as rapid delivery goes, I think the snooker cue is the culprit. the taper seems to be in compensation for their perfect pendulum delivery but this leveling effect will become a launching ramp at high cue speeds. The more cylindrical cut of American shafts minimizes those effects.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amusing how the advanced player is held in a differnt light. Anyway as far as rapid delivery goes, I think the snooker cue is the culprit. the taper seems to be in compensation for their perfect pendulum delivery but this leveling effect will become a launching ramp at high cue speeds. The more cylindrical cut of American shafts minimizes those effects.
Of course an advanced player is held in a different light. They've done their homework and have a level of success. Beginners and intermediate players are still deeply embedded in the learning stages, still with plenty of errors, and there's no way to tell for sure what their successes will be and how their style will evolve.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course an advanced player is held in a different light. They've done their homework and have a level of success. Beginners and intermediate players are still deeply embedded in the learning stages, still with plenty of errors, and there's no way to tell for sure what their successes will be and how their style will evolve.
Yeah of course. I meant that you make it sound like they are infallible or something. The operative condition here is does/why does, the stick rise.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
But you've never said what "stability" does for the shot. It doesn't prevent miscues, so what does it do? Do you have anything in mind other than "pros do it, so it must mean something"?

pj
chgo
As so often, you trimmed my remarks rather than address them, to attack out of context. My remarks were:

**I've given several examples now of strokes where playing professionals use the closed loop bridge for stability or to prevent post stroke fouls.

My point is that claiming a closed loop bridge is a mental crunch only for 100% of players who use it, is an insult to pros and pro trick shot artists who use it with success.**

Did you shoot my diagrammed shot using both types of bridges? Of course not--you wrote instead, "But I don't want to learn that [pro] shot technique". This is perhaps the fifth or sixth time I've presented to you a shot when asked that you refused to shoot because it proved my point.

Taking the follow shot as diagrammed with a pinned elbow has the stroke leave the bridge hand entirely using an open bridge. I bet you can think of several reasons why that is a problem including the one I mentioned that you trimmed with your (goal post shifting) reply.

What we have in sum is:

1) You made an absolute statement that many disagree with on this thread: "ALL players use closed bridges ONLY for psychological reasons for ALL strokes."

2) I've offered pro shots to demonstrate the issue that you refuse to shoot/attempt/ponder because you know they disprove your statement.

3) You goal post shift to ask "But why do pros do this?" and your question belies your lack of understanding. The pros do it for physical reasons including efficiency and control and to avoid stick fouls.

I humbly submit to you that both of us can be stubborn when corrected. You've accused me of refusing to learn new things or take correction. Now it's your turn to show you are the bigger person.

Do you have anything to say for yourself? Not the shot being discussed, but your attitude?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
... tips of all sizes ... can all hit the ball the same distance from center without miscuing.
Why then do billiards guys use 9 mils?
Billurd guys are the most concerned with extreme english.
I use a 9-10mm tip for pool and have tested my miscue limit... yup, 1/2 radius from center, just like every other tip.

Do you have a theory for why smaller tips should be better (other than “billiard guys use lots of English”)?

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I've given several examples now of strokes where playing professionals use the closed loop bridge for stability
Yet still can’t say what “stability” means. Does their shaft otherwise leave their bridge before contacting the ball? Exactly what physical calamity are they preventing?

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah of course. I meant that you make it sound like they are infallible or something. The operative condition here is does/why does, the stick rise.
I never lost sight of that, and my response was that while you make the reason sound like an error, I'm saying it's not as simple as that.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never lost sight of that, and my response was that while you make the reason sound like an error, I'm saying it's not as simple as that.
Ok. I reread what I writed and "errant" propulsion is relative to the ideal linear propulsion ie non rising cue. "Bad balance" is just improper balance again relative to the requirements of the shot.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a 9-10mm tip for pool and have tested my miscue limit... yup, 1/2 radius from center, just like every other tip.

Do you have a theory for why smaller tips should be better (other than “billiard guys use lots of English”)?

pj
chgo
I have no reference for your stroke although I will say testing your miscue limit is not quite the same as being required to hit repeatedly at the limit.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Yet still can’t say what “stability” means. Does their shaft otherwise leave their bridge before contacting the ball? Exactly what physical calamity are they preventing?

pj
chgo
Again you've trimmed my reply. I cited post-stroke cue stick fouls.

And had you attempted even once my diagrammed shot, you would see the cue stick could leave the vee of the bridge even prior to cue ball contact.

Why haven't you tried the shot as diagrammed? And do you think trimming every reply I give you shows lurkers you are correct in this argument? You are absolutely incorrect.

You made an absolute statement that all players get psychological benefit only from a closed bridge for all possible strokes, then said:

1) Sure that pro stroke Matt diagrammed could be trouble with an open bridge, but I don't want to learn that particular pro stroke.

2) Sure, but what is the advantage for a pro not creating a stick foul?

And your latest, "Sure but unless there's an issue prior to cue ball contact, it's not any kind of problem for any given shot!" So go ahead and place the balls much closer than I'd diagrammed, and shoot! See if losing control is an issue after ball contact for you, then report back here on your findings.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...I cited post-stroke cue stick fouls.

...And had you attempted even once my diagrammed shot, you would see the cue stick could leave the vee of the bridge even prior to cue ball contact.
So post-stroke fouls and your "pro" upswoop stroke are your reasons for recommending a closed bridge?

lol

I rest your case.

pj <- took long enough
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
So post-stroke fouls and your "pro" upswoop stroke are your reasons for recommending a closed bridge?

lol

I rest your case.

pj <- took long enough
chgo
No, I also mentioned various english and masse uses. If you want to continue discussing anything with me, you need to stop trimming my responses and actually read what I write.

Further, your absolute statement, condemning millions of players, including pros, was rude, as well as uninformed.

And the sarcasm was unneeded. I see you ignored my comments on your rudeness, suggesting a way to patch up with me.

You can redeem yourself actually shooting the diagrammed shot and learning to be a better pool thinker.

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get your question, but tips of all sizes "have the same chance" - they can all hit the ball the same distance from center without miscuing.

Background info: The miscue limit (1/2 radius from center ball) is right where the curved surface of the ball is angled 30 degrees away. Not coincidentally, cue tips are shaped so that their curved surfaces include at least 30 degrees on each side so they can match surfaces with the ball out to that limit - nickel and dime curves work for pool and snooker tips respectively.

pj
chgo

So a 3mm tip works just as well as a 13mm?

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
miscued a few times stroking low and level
think I was trying to too hard, maybe got tight
for a change, I tried striking higher up on the cb
but with a downward stroke
it actually worked pretty well..surprised me
wondering what the instructors' take is on this technique?
You might find this video by Johann Chua interesting.