Practice question

WGCP

JUST ANOTHER DAY
I am brand new to 14.1. So in my ignorance if you had to name the most important practice drill that you do to improve, it would be appreciated...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WGCP said:
I am brand new to 14.1. So in my ignorance if you had to name the most important practice drill that you do to improve, it would be appreciated...
The drill I like is to set up a standard break shot and see how many balls you can run. I do sets of 10 innings. Here is a log sheet:

http://www.sfbilliards.com/log_14_1.pdf

When you find you have trouble repeatedly with a particular shot, practice that shot. A general technique for practicing shots that automatically adjusts the difficulty of the shot to your ability is called "progressive practice." See

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/1992-12.pdf

for an explanation, and

http://www.sfbilliards.com/basics.pdf

for some basic drills.

rikdee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always liked setting up a variety of four or five ball break patterns and try to stay in them to the breakball. I then complete the shot on the breakball and set up again.
I also like to set up ball to ball billiards in and around the rack area and practice nudging balls into break position both directly and off the back cushion.

WGCP

JUST ANOTHER DAY
Thanks for the information... Once I get these down... I will work on how to break clusters...:D

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Great thread so far!

I do versions of everything already mentioned, plus I practice specific types of break shots. I also practice secondary break shots (opening up the balls) as well as manufacturing break balls. I believe that these are some of the more important parts of the games, along with following making balls, reading patterns, and designating your break ball, key ball, and set up shot.

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as well as manufacturing break balls
This is the most interesting piece for me (a C player at best). I find that I have a set of about 4 or 5 break ball contenders, and in order to ensure I have the most options available to me, I tend to go for other shots which end up being harder, so that the 4 or 5 stay preserved. As a result, I end up missing, thereby ending any hopes of a long run and stringing together a few racks. This is the balance I'm looking to refine in my own game -- i.e., choosing the right time to whittle down those 4 or 5 balls to 1 or 2 contenders.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do almost exactly what Bob Jewett recommends above. For a single shot I like to practice straight in stop shots. Start with a shot short enough that you can make it 100% and work out from there. I also am a C player at best.

Dave Nelson

WGCP

JUST ANOTHER DAY
Blackjack, thanks, sure wish I could have gotten with you last time in orlando... but, I will be back... lessons and to show me how to deal with clusters, specifically how to "bump" balls into positions that allow further runs...
Bille