Practice table size 9’ or 10’

tomatoshooter

I'm sort of curious about the tougher pockets make you a better shooter idea. It would seem true on the surface but several people who seem to know what they are talking about don't seem to think so. I haven't tested it although I do have to say going from my 8' with snooty pockets to a 7' barbox with friendly pockets makes me feel like a god. The boost in confidence you get from switching may be the real reward. It's also possible that the player could pass on makeable shots or not learn how to cheat the pocket.

Anyway, I was thinking that, with no technique problems, shots presumably are distributed in a bell curve with most closer to the center and fewer at the fringes. It follows that a better shooter would have a narrower curve, i.e. 75% of shots falling within 1" of the center instead of 2" for a worse shooter. And perhaps 95% within 2" for the skilled player and 4" for the less skilled player. For tighter pockets to truly benefit the player, the player would probably have to miss so few shots on the larger pockets that they gain no useful feedback and even then I suspect the repetition would sharpen their skills. I suppose larger pockets could be more tolerant of sloppy play and a less motivated player may not work as hard.

One thing I do doubt is that the distribution of shots would be substantially different. I'd wager that if you practice on 5" pockets and make 90% and go to a 4.5" table and make 60% and I practice on a 4.5" table and get 60% when I play on the 5" table I'll hit 90%. I still think random distribution holds true.

It seems like the tighter pockets will make a player better when you first think about it but I wonder if really matters for a motivated player, unless they are at the very high end of the skill range or for a newer player who gets frustrated by the tight pockets. I would like to hear from some coaches who may have relevant experience.

pw98

Registered
I'm sort of curious about the tougher pockets make you a better shooter idea. It would seem true on the surface but several people who seem to know what they are talking about don't seem to think so. I haven't tested it although I do have to say going from my 8' with snooty pockets to a 7' barbox with friendly pockets makes me feel like a god. The boost in confidence you get from switching may be the real reward. It's also possible that the player could pass on makeable shots or not learn how to cheat the pocket.

Anyway, I was thinking that, with no technique problems, shots presumably are distributed in a bell curve with most closer to the center and fewer at the fringes. It follows that a better shooter would have a narrower curve, i.e. 75% of shots falling within 1" of the center instead of 2" for a worse shooter. And perhaps 95% within 2" for the skilled player and 4" for the less skilled player. For tighter pockets to truly benefit the player, the player would probably have to miss so few shots on the larger pockets that they gain no useful feedback and even then I suspect the repetition would sharpen their skills. I suppose larger pockets could be more tolerant of sloppy play and a less motivated player may not work as hard.

One thing I do doubt is that the distribution of shots would be substantially different. I'd wager that if you practice on 5" pockets and make 90% and go to a 4.5" table and make 60% and I practice on a 4.5" table and get 60% when I play on the 5" table I'll hit 90%. I still think random distribution holds true.

It seems like the tighter pockets will make a player better when you first think about it but I wonder if really matters for a motivated player, unless they are at the very high end of the skill range or for a newer player who gets frustrated by the tight pockets. I would like to hear from some coaches who may have relevant experience.
They force you to aim better and concentrate on your stroke more and concentrate on getting (better) positions where which you dont need to cheat the pocket because you are limited in how you can cheat it. As long as they are not very small like 4 1/8th you can still cheat the pocket so with 4.5" pockets not learning to cheat them is not an issue.

Its very possible to get 'good' on a 5" pocket table then get on a different table and you are terrible because the only reason you are 'good' is because you are missing shot after shot that goes in on the easy table...

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I agree completely with your sentiments. I too wish there were many more 9 foot tables around. But there's not. Its not going to happen. So I satisfy myself on 7 footers. When we met, my wife was hoping I had a 10 inch penis, but she made a 7 work just fine!

Everything is getting smaller as time goes on... the cars we drive is a good example. Even the above mentioned penis is getting smaller. 😞

Living in the past and wishing things were like they used to be is a waste of time. You know what they say.... Wish in one hand and shit in the other, which one will fill up first?
Your post made me think of Canada, and all their Large pool rooms.

I had the same question last year. I went with the 9' because I always enjoyed travelling to a "real pool hall" as a kid and they had the 9 footers. If we wanted to play on bar boxes we...went to bars. It doesn't matter as much to me if it's "Not what I play on in leagues." I have no delusions of being a pro. It's more for my enjoyment at this point.
Mechanics-wise to me, nothing in the game is more important or challenging than consistently delivering the exact, desired stroke. "IN MY OPINION" the extra 2 ft helps. Longer greens = more accuracy and control is needed "FOR ME".

jbcueman

Registered
Just curious,what state are you in? I am in Connecticut and know that you can get a nice used 9' Gold Crown(II or III),new rubber,new felt and pockets and delivered/set up for a decent price.Be glad to steer you to the right people(for free).

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get an old GC or Diamond or Gandy for less than 2 grand, they come up all the time. Use the remaining monies for good quality instruction, someone who can really break down and evaluate your fundamentals. Stick with a 9ft, tighten the pockets but not too tight. I used to think I needed a table to get better. There's a lot more to it than that.
F

Sent from my motorola one zoom using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I bought an old Brunswick oversized 8’ home table with 5” pockets when I decided to learn to play pool.

I wanted to get good enough not to embarrass myself before playing strangers in a pool hall. I played about a year at home and when I got on a 9’ gold crown I played just as good or better. Nice cloth, real solid feel to the slate and table - it just made me feel and play even better.

When I first played on a pro cut Diamond I rattled some balls that surprised me but after a bit I was playing my game. I’m convinced that if you have the hand eye coordination and brain of a pool player, things will work themselves out no matter what you’re playing on.

Then to refute my own point, I played a guy on a real tight table at fast eddies in Springfield, va in the non smoking area, about 18 months into my playing. I was pretty decent, like APA 6 style, and this guy was obviously a player. We tangled back and forth a little with him having a slight edge.

He kept getting frustrated at misses and I just figured it was the usual moaning and that he was only a little better than me. Then he said f it lets play on the normal table. 4.5”

He ran a 3 or 4 piece right off the bat and I don’t think I won a single rack after that 😂. The dude was an absolute killer. I ran into him later on. People that smoked me were wary of him. He just couldn’t seem to get into gear on a tight table for some reason.

9 or 10? I don’t know. Pool is great and frustrating seemingly on any sized table

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played since 1966 and have seen one 10 foot table. That place is gone and was never near enough for me to play on a 10 foot table regularly.

If I had the choice I would have a 9 foot table made by Mark Gregory with 4 inch corner pockets and 41/2 inch side pockets. I would not purchase a Diamond due to the pockets being cut poorly. Seen way to many with pockets that are inaccurately cut...
That is crazy.

If a diamond's angles are bad, I'd bet a hack changed the cushions and used a machete or pocket knife to cut the rubber.