Practice to improve my 9 ball game?

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
Ok, so I came back to the game after a couple of years off earlier this year, and for Christmas, my girlfriend entered me in the amateur 9 ball tournament at the Super Billiards Expo. I'm not in any kind of shape to produce a respectable showing there, and I've got almost 3 months to fix that.

Here's where I am:

Skill level 5 in APA 8 ball (probably going back up to a 6 any minute now - I had a hard time at first coming back from the time off) and if I play the ghost in 9 ball, I typically win 1-2 games in a race to 7. I don't really have any glaring weak spots that are significantly worse than the rest of my game, but I need work across the board - position play (mostly recognizing and playing common patterns), shotmaking (my aim is off a bit lately, and I miss a lot of shots I shouldn't), defense, etc.

On the plus side, my break is pretty strong - my cue ball hits the head ball, jumps back, and stops about 50% of the time, and that continues to improve. I also have a pretty solid, repeatable stroke with a good pre-shot routine (I've worked with Randy G and Scott Lee in the past and had a lesson with Lee Brett last month), and can get the spin I need on the ball while shooting pretty softly.

I play on 9 footers and tend to improve drastically when I get down to 7s (which is what the tournament will be played on), because my biggest weakness is long shots and there aren't any on the small tables. I don't seem to have problems with increased traffic.

So here's what I'm looking for: I have 45 minutes to an hour to practice every weekday at lunch, and a little under 3 months to get my 9 ball game into better shape. I'd like to know how the professional instructors would recommend I structure my practice time.

Right now I'm doing reference shots from Henning's The Pro Book on Mondays, straight pool Tuesdays, a random drill Wednesdays (like the L, the circle of balls in the center of the table, or a snooker drill), playing the 9 ball ghost Thursdays, and practicing the Billiards University test drills on Fridays. If I don't feel focused enough to practice well on a given day, I'll play the ghost or straight pool that day and try to shuffle the rest of the days around so that I still get everything in for the week.

So how would you all recommend practice in order to boost my 9 ball game in the time I have?

Thanks!

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
There are many ways to do this. Here is one that I would recommend.

Throw the 7-8-9 out on the table and with ball-in-hand run them off. The trick is to pre-name the intended pocket before starting the run-out.
If you can't make the called ball in the intended pocket the run is over.

When you get good at that just add the 6-Ball.

Make sure you always warm-up first with Mother Drill #1.

SPF
randyg

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Play to your strengths.

I like Randy's advice. Keep is simple. I also love the mother drills. They are powerful tools for sure. Play within yourself and don't take unnecessary risks during the tournament. If you come to the table, you need to analyze the layout and decide on one of two things. 1)can you run out? 2)if the answer to number 1 is not a resounding YES!, then it's time to plan for out maneuvering your opponent. Good luck.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mentioned 45 minutes each day at lunch. What about other times? Do you plan on practicing after work or on weekends? You're going to need more time than that if you want to have a decent showing at the tournament.

To make the best of your 45 minutes, you can practice getting out of the gate fast. What I mean by that is that when you're at a tournament like the SBE, there will be tons of noise and distractions all around you. You're going to have to train yourself to zero in on your shot-making right out of the gate. In an atmosphere like that, usually the first player to get their focus and concentration working usually wins the match.

Practice zeroing in on your shotmaking as soon as you get to the table. No wamup time. Just get right into it and try to find your game as quickly as possible. Then practice your shot making skills.

Remember, if you don't pocket the ball, you give up control of the table. The more shots you are confident in pocketing, the better your chance of winning. You can't play safe on every shot in the tournament. You're going to have to pocket some balls.

Last edited:

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
You mentioned 45 minutes each day at lunch. What about other times? Do you plan on practicing after work or on weekends? You're going to need more time than that if you want to have a decent showing at the tournament.

Thanks, Fran. I play for about 4-5 hours on and off (between scoring and coaching teammates) on Monday nights, but that's league night, so it's hard to get good structured practice time in then. I'm also trying to work out a good 3-4 hour session every weekend, but family commitments make it hard to get a lot of time outside of that daily practice - I don't have a table at home where I can get 15 minutes here and a half hour there. I have to go to the poolroom.

And by "decent showing," I certainly don't expect to get into the money. I'm being realistic about my performance versus what the field typically is like. I'm just hoping to not get knocked out in the first few rounds.

Thank you!

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Fran. I play for about 4-5 hours on and off (between scoring and coaching teammates) on Monday nights, but that's league night, so it's hard to get good structured practice time in then. I'm also trying to work out a good 3-4 hour session every weekend, but family commitments make it hard to get a lot of time outside of that daily practice - I don't have a table at home where I can get 15 minutes here and a half hour there. I have to go to the poolroom.

And by "decent showing," I certainly don't expect to get into the money. I'm being realistic about my performance versus what the field typically is like. I'm just hoping to not get knocked out in the first few rounds.

Thank you!

Sure, happy to help. One more thing about practicing getting out of the gate fast: You will need to practice it over and over, day after day for a few months. Remember, when you are under pressure, it will be much, much harder to find your focus and concentration than at the practice table, so it will have to be second nature to you. Once you start doing it in your league matches you know that you're on your way to doing it in tougher situations.

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Improve 9 ball

I'd say to make a list of different aspects of your game.

Breaking
Draw shots
Follow shots
Stop shots
Position Play and Pattern Play
Safeties

Rate yourself on how you think you are, then a couple days a week focus on your weakest parts.

Here's a good 9 ball drill - "Endless Position"
Setup: place 7 ball on head spot, 8 ball on the foot spot, and 9 ball on the center spot
Play: ball in hand the first shot, make the 7 and play shape for the 8. Then make the 8 and play shape for the 9, and then the 9 ball playing shape for the 7. Each ball spots after being made. Each ball is 1 point. See what your high score is once a week and you will see improvement.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say to make a list of different aspects of your game.

Breaking
Draw shots
Follow shots
Stop shots
Position Play and Pattern Play
Safeties

Rate yourself on how you think you are, then a couple days a week focus on your weakest parts.

Setup: place 7 ball on head spot, 8 ball on the foot spot, and 9 ball on the center spot
Play: ball in hand the first shot, make the 7 and play shape for the 8. Then make the 8 and play shape for the 9, and then the 9 ball playing shape for the 7. Each ball spots after being made. Each ball is 1 point. See what your high score is once a week and you will see improvement.

Good post. Never thought of that.

Happy New Year :smile:

John

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Here's another fun game.

1 ball on foot, 2 ball on center, 3 ball on head. Carom must be made on every shot and scores 1 point. Pocketing a ball scores the value of the number on the ball. Pocketed balls are re-spotted immediately. Scratch? you loose your points in the run.

This also improves CB control like RWOJO's game. I think a little more so since your target position or required line needed (carom) is much smaller having to make the required carom.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's another fun game.

1 ball on foot, 2 ball on center, 3 ball on head. Carom must be made on every shot and scores 1 point. Pocketing a ball scores the value of the number on the ball. Pocketed balls are re-spotted immediately. Scratch? you loose your points in the run.

This also improves CB control like RWOJO's game. I think a little more so since your target position or required line needed (carom) is much smaller having to make the required carom.

Is this also a rotation game (or any order)? Using a cue ball right... where the you start from on the opening break (or after a CB scratch)?

thx

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know most may disagree with me here, but...... you only have a small amount of time each day, and only a few months to practice. You need to up your game as much as possible. .......

Spend 5-10 minutes at each start on your stroke. Make it as straight and repeatable as possible.

Each and every shot, make sure you use your PSR, make it automatic.

Copy out (I drew mine by hand) Bert Kinnisters 60 minute workout, and work on it for the rest of your time. Do your best to learn those shots. They come up all the tme in play. That is why he used those shots.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this also a rotation game (or any order)? Using a cue ball right... where the you start from on the opening break (or after a CB scratch)?

thx

Its not rotation. CB is used. Balls are spotted immediately when pocketed. The break starts by hitting the ball on the foot spot first. Scratched CB goes in the kitchen for the next shooter.

When I used to play 9ball this game seemed to get me warmed up fast for moving the CB with proper speed and correct line. That's all its good for except learning to make the occasional carom shot, + its a fun break from the traditional games. We called it Bastard Billiards. I guess because if you scratched you loose the run.

What will show up real quick is how lax we are achieving the correct line.

Last edited:

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
Its been years now and i am yet to understand how rolling balls down the table is a powerful tool. Or useful in any way, shape, or form..:confused:

DCP
Which drill(s) specifically are you speaking of :confused: My favorite drills that just involve rolling a ball are 1,2,4 & 5 as they help keep my stroke straight and for developing speed control. There are several drills that involve shooting the object ball as well. Maybe you are not aware of that?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Its been years now and i am yet to understand how rolling balls down the table is a powerful tool. Or useful in any way, shape, or form..:confused:

DCP

I don't think that it's the rolling of balls. I think it's all about how I roll balls.

randyg

ArtOfTheCue

Matt
Silver Member
Update

I'd like to thank everyone for the input - I've been using it and see a drastic improvement. I track my practice and it's showing that my average run in rotation games has improved from about 3.5 balls to just over 6. It seems that my position/pattern play knowledge is better than I thought it was, and I really just needed to find my stroke again. It never really felt right after my time off from playing.

For my routine, I've been practicing that 45 minutes to an hour every weekday, doing some ball running drills (break, take 4 off the table, if I run the other 5 out, then take 3 off the next rack, etc), some 60 minute workout style shots as suggested by Neil (although I'm using the ones in the Pro Book - I think they're extremely similar, if not the same), long, straight in draw shots to work on my stroke, some ghost races, and ball pocketing drills. I'm in a regular APA 8 ball league and a Masters league, both on Monday nights, and then I match up against someone a little better than me for a few bucks after my league matches are over. One weekend day, I'm either getting a longer (3-4 hour) practice session in or playing in a tournament. I take the 7th day off from pool.

Here's the thing - judging from when and how I miss (either the ball or a position), I should still be a lot better than I am now. Over 90% of my errors are due to a momentary lapse in concentration - I'm losing focus on silly, easily makeable shots, and it's more common on the key shots that would win the game for me. I'm dogging a lot of 7 balls. If I could bear down and focus, I'd get out 2-3 times more often than I do now.

In tournament matches, I seem to start strong, get ahead, and then ease up. I played a big one this weekend and went 2 and out. Both matches were 7-4, and in both matches I was up 3-4 at one point. The first was a player I should normally beat and the second was a semi-pro. If I can get up like that and still lose against players with drastically different skill levels, it's clear what I need to work on.

So I guess my biggest weakness right now is in my head. I'm reading The Inner Game of Tennis right now, and plan to re-read The Pleasures of Small Motions while I'm on vacation this weekend. Does anyone have other advice on how to improve my concentration at the table? How did you learn how to bear down and pull out a win? How do you convince your subconscious that you deserve to win?

Thanks!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to what randyg said...MD 1 is about TRAINING your arm for YOUR perfect pendulum swing. Once the range of motion has been established as a habit, the brain can train the biceps to accelerate at variable rates. THAT'S what the drill is about Mike. Ask your brother...he got it right away! :banghead:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I don't think that it's the rolling of balls. I think it's all about how I roll balls.

randyg